PDA

View Full Version : Next map in series - The Kingdoms

landorl
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I have started on my next map for my world. This is a more detailed view of the region known as "The Kingdoms". This land was once known as the Kingdom of Lantari. It was once a large and powerful land, but at the end of the last age, when the last king of Lantari died, the kingdom was split into a handful of smaller kingdoms.

As for the map, It is still very much a WIP. I still have a long way to go on this, but I thought that I would post a preliminary drawing as a sample.

landorl
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
BTW, this is a subsection of the world and regional map done here

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2467

landorl
08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
One more thing. For a sense of the scale... From the northwest section of Calahorn, to the southeast section of Esanolia, it is about 2,200 miles.

ravells
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I always admire maps at this scale which take the trouble to put in lots of rivers - it really does magnify the scale of the map, but it does take ages! Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses!

Steel General
08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I like it, even at this early stage. The mountains are quite nice, something I still struggle with. Looking forward to more.

Ascension
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Lookin very nice so far and I am anticipating the next wip.

Eilathen
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Cool, more from Arafran :D As always, very inspiring, landorl. But then you already knew I'm a fan ;) Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I hope to see more on your world on the CBG.

Cheers

landorl
08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
More work done on the map. This one is a larger map because if I shrink it down, then you won't be able to read some of the text.

someguy
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Ooh, Very nice. I sit in anticipation of when you work on the Great Northern Wilderness/Empire of the Wolfmen/Isle of Eria region. The names you give things just fill my mind with Ideas.

landorl
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
A little more work done here. I did the ocean backgrounds, and added some more seas. I also added rougher hills leading up to the mountains because I thought that they rose up too quickly. I might even add some more.

Also added some more city names. I am looking for some symbols to use for my cities. I want to show population sizes, and I really liked the symbols that have been used on the Greyhawk maps in the WIP and finished area (I love those maps Anna!).

My next task will be the Norther Wilderness. I will eventually come back here and do some smaller sections to give them more detail.

Steel General
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
To quote a what I thought was a really bad, though enjoyable movie... "Most Excellent!"

landorl
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm assuming that's from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. That's a movie that you don't see quoted too often!

Here is a minor update. I found out that I had some pretty decent symbols in my CC2, so I made a sheet with them, saved them as a JPG, then erased the background, and simply cropped and then dragged them to my map. There is probably and easier way to do it(any suggestions would be awesome), but that worked. The only downside is that each symbol was a new layer, so I grouped them into folders by each type.

Anyway, let me know if this looks a little better.

Steel General
08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Yup, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure...give the man a fuzzy monkey! :D

I like the symbols, though the anchor on the 'capital with port' is very hard to see.

landorl
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Just about done with this one.

I added most of the rest of the city names. On this map, I am only naming the cities. If I named all of the major towns or fortresses, then this map would just be words!

I have altered the color scheme a little, but that is about it.

My next post will be the final product.

NeonKnight
08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I am certainly enjoying this. It look Be-oo-ti-ful!

Good job!

Sirith
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
It's awesome to see the several progress shots in sequence. Also, the way the rivers and kingdoms are distributed across the map are very nice, I like the map for that alone.

One thing that I personally find a little jarring, is the water, which doesn't have the subtle colour differences like the land has. Just a matter of differing tastes I think, but something I wanted to point out for a bit.

Keep up the good work :)

landorl
08-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I think that I agree about the water colors. I will work on that.