PDA

View Full Version : April/May 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: TPK, It was the Drow-Assassin in the Library

epson
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I am not sure whether I got it right...
(if not please tell me. - Then again I like the idea and I am probably going to finish this map anyway.)

What I am going to change:

Hall - entrance hall
Study - evil laboratory
Library- ancient library
Billiard Room - Torture Chamber
Conservatory - Plant / Mushroom Cave
Ball Room - Tomb / Shrine
Kitchen - Treasury ?
Dining Room - Monster's den ?
Lounge - Dungeon

Candleholder - candle-golem
Dagger - drow assassin
Rope - ghost (with ropes)
Wrench - ?
Lead pipe - animated armor
Gun - evil wizzard ?

The hallways, as you can see, are going to be more dungeony.

### Latest WIP ###

Feel free to pass me your Ideas.

Diamond
04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I think you got the idea exactly right! Clue, translated to a classic dungeon, that's a cool idea.

Tiana
04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
That is an AMAZING idea. :D

Bogie
04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Yeah, wish I had thought of that!

Instead of replacing the GUN with an evil wizard, just replace it with a Staff or, even better, a Wand of Magic Missiles.

epson
04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Feels great to get that kind of feedback!

@Bogie: Those are great ideas (that I will use), but weapons are too small for my taste, to fit on the map. Instead I will try to use monsters and rooms.

My plan was to sketch in Illustrator (check) to then draw an isometric map. That is way more work than I expected, but I have time (and enjoy doing this a lot).
This is my first try to draw an isometric map so I expect a lot of erasing and drawing again.

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
04-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Great Idea! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

epson
04-22-2014, 10:39 AM
My first tile! This might not seem like it, but because I am very new to drawing on the computer (with a tablet), this is a great success!
Inspiration: A mix of "The Fantasy Artist's Figure Drawing Bible" by Matt Dixon and Djekspek's tutorial on how to draw an ice-wall symbol.

Pineapple
04-23-2014, 08:34 AM
The wrench could be some kind of evil gnome machinist, or a mechanical trap.

Great start and I love the idea!

Meshon
04-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress, I love using Illustrator and you are doing some great things with it. Is the tile pure Illustrator?

And the idea is just spot on, I love it. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the game Kill Dr. Lucky? I remember it when it was a paper envelope game from Cheapass Games, but apparently it's been published by others in a premium format since. The object (on a very Clue-like board) is to get Dr. Lucky alone in a room that no one else can see into and then use some dire weapon (like A Loud Noise or A Tight Hat) to take him out.

Anyway, keep going, I'm really diggin' this.

cheers,
Meshon

Pineapple
04-24-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress, I love using Illustrator and you are doing some great things with it. Is the tile pure Illustrator?

And the idea is just spot on, I love it. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the game Kill Dr. Lucky? I remember it when it was a paper envelope game from Cheapass Games, but apparently it's been published by others in a premium format since. The object (on a very Clue-like board) is to get Dr. Lucky alone in a room that no one else can see into and then use some dire weapon (like A Loud Noise or A Tight Hat) to take him out.

Anyway, keep going, I'm really diggin' this.

cheers,
Meshon
Yep, I've played Kill Dr. Lucky. Only once, but it was fun.

epson
04-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Is the tile pure Illustrator?
I think I have to disappoint you. I usually use a mix between Illustrator and Photoshop, but the Tile is (except for the background) purely Photoshop. I will post more tiles later.

epson
04-24-2014, 05:39 PM
4 Tiles for the corridors. Should I have some time left after finishing the rooms, I will draw some more.
63463 63464 63465

Meshon
04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I think I have to disappoint you. I usually use a mix between Illustrator and Photoshop, but the Tile is (except for the background) purely Photoshop. I will post more tiles later.

Ah well, I'm more impressed than disappointed :) I have yet to make a map that I like that doesn't use at least a little of both. The tiles are fantastic!

cheers,
Meshon

Lingon
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Fantastic tiles :)

Francissimo
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
the background makes me feel it was full vector, really nice render for those tiles! Your sense of detail talks to me, doing differents models of tiles instead of using just one will certainly give a nice natural feeling on the map. Maybe you can use reflect efect on those to have even more different looking tiles;)

epson
05-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Halftime and nowhere near half-finished. I guess I competely overestimated my speed (and time available).

I guess my options are either proceeding as planned and finishing long after the deadline or finishing in time but changing my goals.

At least I learned something about timemanagement :).

Francissimo
05-02-2014, 12:06 PM
wow those are really well made, nothing constructive to say except good job:)

epson
05-05-2014, 03:57 PM
The Entrance Hall.
In this first room there is... nothing spectacular. Sometimes kids come here as a test of courage.

The Symbol of the flawed sphere held by one of the old gods: The sphere represents the whole of creation given as a gift. It has a crack to remind their followers to always work on themselves and the world.
Some dark cults worship the crack by spreading chaos, some beliefe that the crack can only be healed by magic. And very few peaople worship the splinter as a symbol for ultimate freedom from life and death. Those are the ones trying to become lyches or vampires.

The secret door can be opened by possessing a piece of the stone from wich the statue was carved. Those pieces are carried as amulets. Or it can be opened, by casting any spell of a high enough level directly at the crack. This is meant to weaken enemy spellcasters.

Domino44
05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Wow that looks simply fantastic! I really hope you are able to finish this!

epson
05-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Me too. Thank you very much.

Ilanthar
05-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I agree with Domino44, this is becoming a very impressive work epson!

epson
05-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Meet the Boss (in room number two!).
He is evil, he is ambitious and he wants to become a Lych.
Here we see him casting something, where you can find him most of the time - in his Laboratory.
Critizism is, like always, welcome.

madcowchef
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
These are really fantastic. I only have useless praise rather than helpful criticism.

fabio p
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I was already thinking you were doing a great job, but after seeing the laboratory I have to say you're doing an insanely awesome job. I'm impressed. I think you have a moral duty to finish it :P.

epson
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I am going to finish this projekt, too much work allready went into it to leave it unfinihed. I would have loved to compete against the other two.