PDA

View Full Version : Elzevir - Geopolitics

Ilanthar
04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
I came back to my old passion for the dymaxion projection and my Elzevir setting... And I wanted to use all the new things I learned lately, so, you'll recognize some elements undoubtedly! Still not confident with those new test, I really want to know if you see possible improvements or mistakes?

Its a map of alliances and big international organisations in an uchronic 1948 world without any world war and a lot of fantastic things (as colonized and inhabitable moon, mars and venus).

Akae
04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
great map!

Lingon
04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Aesthetically, gorgeous. One of the nicest looking real-world maps I've seen really, I'd love to hang that on my wall. The colors are fantastic.
There is a problem, to me, though, with the text. I'd prefer not to have to tilt my head to read everything ;)

MarcTassin
04-23-2014, 03:33 PM
The work you did to create the subtle discoloration is fantastic. It's especially nice over the oceans by avoiding the field of solid blue effect. Very cool!

madcowchef
04-23-2014, 03:38 PM
This projection hurts my brain in the best way possible.

Domino44
04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
That is so awesome!

Ilanthar
04-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

By Lingon
I'd love to hang that on my wall.
I feel the same way with your Antillia map ;)

By Lingon
There is a problem, to me, though, with the text. I'd prefer not to have to tilt my head to read everything
Yeah, I know. I wanted it to look like an ordnance map or strategic map, layed on a table with all the tacticians around... But it is hard to read indeed, and that blocked me of putting a title or cartouche somehow. So, I may change that.

@MarcTassin : the funny thing is that the sea has been one of the easiest thing to make :)

@Madcowchef : sorry for your brain, I do like this projection :D

I still feel there are something wrong or to improve about that, without being able to point it out, so don't hesitate to suggest!

Freodin
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
The coastline shadow/lines bothers me a little.... seems to be not quite in style.

But the rest of the map? Sorry, I cannot find any flaws in it. It's just gorgeous.

Lingon
04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Ah, that's an interesting idea, about the ordnance map! I can see how it would be useful to have text in many angles in that context. But when viewing it on screen, with no possibility to walk around it, I think it's not ideal. Reading upside-down is more difficult than the aesthetic effect is worth, imho!

Ilanthar
04-25-2014, 07:11 AM
By Freodin
The coastline shadow/lines bothers me a little.... seems to be not quite in style.

Could you precise? Too thin line or problem with the shadow?

By Lingon
But when viewing it on screen, with no possibility to walk around it, I think it's not ideal.

Except if you have a tablet :P! But yeah, I agree with you (and I have no tablet...). I hesitate to change all the text, though. Maybe just the text around the map and not the country names/oceans. What do you think?

Freodin
04-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Could you precise? Too thin line or problem with the shadow?

I meant the horizontal lines that form this "shadow" around the land. I understand that it is a good way to make the small islands stand out better, but a) in my view it does not fit the style - perhaps you should try concentric lines - and b) it kind of blurs the coastline in general.

Katto
04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I agree with Freodin, it looks a bit strange, but I think it depends on the projection you have used. When we see a map of the earth most of us have an other picture in mind.
Excellent work btw :)

Lingon
04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah, viewing this on a tablet would be awesome! Actually, for tablet users, I can imagine the text in lots of angles adds something. I'm thinking… If you were to make a game for ipads and such, you'd take advantage of the differences in how one use a tablet compared to a computer, with the touch screen, gyro, etc… So images can be made with the same idea, right? Maybe this is a map for tablet viewing?

Of course, you could also make a computer port of it, to continue the simile… And in that case, I would personally change all the text. I like how it follows the graticule, and I definitely think you should keep that, but those that are the most upside-down could be flipped. That's what I would do at least, but hey, it's your map and if you like the labels the way they are, keep them!

Ilanthar
04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks a lot for the constructive comments and answers!

@Freodin & Katto : noted, here's a test without those lines.

@Lingon : it's not designed for a tablet, more for being laid on a table (I'm a good old pen&paper gamer...). Your comment just makes me think that I could follow the graticules on the perpendicular side, each times it's needed :) So here it is!

Freodin
04-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Depending on how much work it is for you, you might try a version with concentric lines for the coast-shadow... but in my opinion, it is perfect now. I feared that the (smaller) islands might be left unrecognizable without that shadows, but they are still fine.

Another superb map in your portfolio!

Ilanthar
04-26-2014, 12:16 PM
A version with a coastal line. Just one, I think it will be crowded with more... What do you think?

Freodin
04-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Thank you for making all the effort!

I like the bare version best... but ultimately, it is what YOU think what matters most.

And now that we do have three versions to chose from, we you all pick the one we like best, print it out and have it grace our living rooms! ;)

Lingon
04-27-2014, 06:24 AM
I really like the latest version! That coastline is very clean and attractive, and the labels are indeed a lot easier to read now. Although… If I may be picky… I think some of them could have been left along the parallells like in the first, because I love how that looks :) Just, you know, turned, so they are not upside-down! the shape of each country should be the deciding factor, in my opinion, so for example, I would put Kongo along the parallels, Angola along the meridians, Guinée Francaise along the parallell, Zanjar along the meridian…
And yes, this level of nitpicking means that the map is really, really good :D

Ilanthar
04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
You're not making my choice easy! I agree with both of you that the 2 tests are better than the first coastline (far too old compared to the rest of the map, I see that now)... I'll need time to make my choice, I suppose.

Well, yes, you're right about the labels, Lingon. That makes sense, I'll rework that!

Ilanthar
04-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Hmm, I reworked the labels and I'm making a test concerning the border. I was thinking to add the countries flags on the top and the territories/colonies/etc. flags of those countries on the bottom. I intend to put the title in the gap of the upper border...

Isn't it too crowded? Bad idea? I'm interested in your views on this (flags are pretty long to do...).

Lingon
04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Labeling = perfect :D The flags and title in the middle seems like a great idea. Only risk I see is if the flags are very colorful, they could become quite distracting in a map as subtly colored as this one. But it's hard to say beforehand, and I'd love to see it done!

Freodin
04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Based on what flags you already put in, I don't think they will distract too much from the map. I cast my vote for: do it!

Coriolis
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
You make me want to print this off, cut it out, and tape it together to see this polyhedron in all its glory. Have you tried that yet? Do you have a picture you care to share?

Ilanthar
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
By Coriolis
Have you tried that yet? Do you have a picture you care to share?

Thanks! That crossed my mind, but I fear some labels would spread on foldings... Maybe I'll do a test with a small one to check.

And here is the version with title and flags (so many flags... that was long).

GeoPopID
05-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Hey, sorry to bring back the discussion about text orientation after all of that, but I picture this map being big and laying on a table (as someone else already suggested.) I also picture players sitting around the table, one for each empire/alliance, like it was some big game of Risk or something and being able to read the data applicable that player's perspective. In other words the bottom of the text is oriented toward the south, which ever way that is on the map, in the direction of the player. To me, having some of the text oriented upside down or sideways from the point of view of a single reader doesn't bother me, as it is radially symmetrical about the North Pole. It bothers me more to see the names haphazardly flipped and turned with respect to the country they label. So with that, we've gone the full circle back to where you were originally! lol. (Why bother to ask us anything!)

Great map, by the way. I find myself just glued to it!

Oh, a little thing I noticed. The country you labeled as Burma, is really in the Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand area (IndoChina). Burma is farther west (in case you didn't do that on purpose.)

Ilanthar
05-01-2014, 10:26 AM
By GeoPopID
Hey, sorry to bring back the discussion about text orientation after all of that, but I picture this map being big and laying on a table (as someone else already suggested.) I also picture players sitting around the table, one for each empire/alliance, like it was some big game of Risk or something and being able to read the data applicable that player's perspective.

No need to be sorry , comments are always appreciated :) The "laid on table as an ordnance map" was indeed my first intention. It's not designed for a board game as Risk, but for a tabletop RPG of my own. The Risk idea is interesting though, I could certainly do one Risk map from it.
I kinda like the new version too, as a "fantasy" rememberance of the good old world map surrounded by flags I got in my childhood. I may go with two versions... I'll think about it.

Great map, by the way. I find myself just glued to it!
Thanks!

Oh, a little thing I noticed. The country you labeled as Burma, is really in the Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand area (IndoChina). Burma is farther west (in case you didn't do that on purpose.)

I'm quite aware about that, and in fact, the eastern part of the Indian League of Travancore is composed of two territories named ("rightly") upper and lower Burma. It's an uchronia, and in this case, all the area is called "Burma" by its inhabitants.

Lingon
05-03-2014, 05:54 AM
The flags turned out great! I think it looks better on the top row of maps, where there's some space between them and the map. If you could add that space above the bottom row as well, it would make it feel more coherent :)
I like the simple title, no cartouche or effects or anything, very nice for this style! The font, while appropriate for the time period, doesn't fit with the other fonts though, imo. But I'm not sure what to suggest instead… Maybe something like Academy Engraved Let? It's a quite lovely art deco-ish font that could tie together with the nation font you're using, but also feel a little more fancy, suitable for titles.

Ilanthar
05-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback Lingon! Academy Engraved Let is a commercial font, right? I didn't have it, so I tried another one.

I reorganized the down flags a bit, and think it's better now. And honestly, I don't see much more to do... except if someone sees something else to improve.
I won't do a second version because I'm pretty sure that the map will pass most of the time on a wall and less on a table. And even on the table, it would be better for my players to be able to read everything.

Niasis
05-03-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm really amazed by this map. It's just way too cool. :) Incredible work.

Lingon
05-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Yeah, it's probably commercial, I only have it because it came with one of my apps actually! But you found one that works even better here :) The flag placement is great. I've got nothing more to add now!

Ilanthar
05-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Thank you Niasis :)!

By Lingon
Yeah, it's probably commercial, I only have it because it came with one of my apps actually!

Don't worry, I often don't know or remember where I found things... I tried to correct that, but sometimes I'm angry about myself when I can't found something again!

I just put a bigger title, and here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/27019-elzevir-geopolitics.html) is the result

Thanks to everybody for the help and support!