PDA

View Full Version : In Principio

Corvus Marinus
04-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Maps were a childhood passion of mine and perhaps the first element of my early attempts at creating fantasy worlds. I've been working on writing a novel or novel series set in this conworld for years. Recently I've tried to flesh out my world's geography and increase its realism, and I came up with this crudely-drawn outline of tectonics and landmasses on which I'd appreciate some comments, before I get any further.

These maps are intended to cover an essentially earthlike planet. They were created in Inkscape. The brown areas are major mountain ranges. The finished product will be a lot prettier, I hope, and include rivers and forests and islands and other details. I know the aspect ratio is probably not optimal, and I'll adjust that soon.

Virtually all the action of the novel takes place across the northern part of the major landmass. The protagonist starts in the northeastern area I've marked as "temperate," which I've characterized in the novel as rugged, grassy highlands, broadleaf forests in the north and some nut forests in the southwestern end, home to a pastoral, semi-nomadic people whose influences include the Scots, the Kyrgyz, the Buryats, and the Tuvans. The center of the north continent I wish to be steppe and desert, and in the west, also marked "temperate," I've envisioned a land hosting a waning empire a bit like Byzantium or Sassanid Persia, extremely fertile toward the coast and more arid in the interior, toward an ancient mountain range. I would prefer to modify the map to make these situations possible rather than vice-versa.

My starting idea for this map was a supercontinent breaking up. Rift valleys are forming and flooding while island chains are starting to appear at the antipodes. The big rose-colored plate is shifting east with a slight counterclockwise spin, while the movements of the smaller plates pull the supercontinent apart, as the continental blue north plate continues to drive up north and east. After I've finished working out the continents and tectonics Ill concern myself more with the details of the climate.

I've never before cared about the lands beyond the purview of the novel, but a more top-down approach to worldbuilding seemed to be warranted. I've looked around at tutorials here and elsewhere. I'm an historian, not a geographer or geologist by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't trust myself not to notice glaring errors.

At each step abovedoes my logic appear sound? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Pixie
04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the grand (and tougher than usually one would imagine) endeavor of world creation.

Your logic appears sound and all, but there's one big/huge detail you should address right away and that's your understanding of tectonics. The plates your figured are just as fine as any others, but the nature of the plate borders is either unclear or wrong. Here's what I suggest - start by choosing a few of those junctions to be bottom of the ocean rifts or newly formed continental rifts. Now, any plate adjoining those junctions will move AWAY from that line. The whole plate. The whole plate (save slight bends) moves in the same direction.

I can see a huge rift in your map: on the western side of the pink plate and then joining with another rift that runs on the south margin of the gray-blue plate. Maybe you could try this... Once you do this, the parts of the world where the plates collide to form mountains appear effortlessly.

Climate will come at a later stage. Be patient.

And good luck, enjoy it!

Corvus Marinus
04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Okay. I'm not surprised I missed something in reading about tectonics, but I'm not entirely clear what the problem is you're pointing out. Do you think the motions improbably complex or confused? I was under the impression that most plates also have a bit of a rotation, so I incorporated that into the boundaries of most of the continental plates (which I should perhaps label for clarity of reference). Beyond that, I did not have clear reasons for the motion I assigned to each particular plate. I assumed that would ultimately be about as random as plate placement.

However, I think I understand the solution you propose, starting with strong divergent boundaries. I'll play with the map a bit more and post my results.

Pixie
04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
I think it's more the improbable than the confusing. Only small plates have sizable rotation movements, and sometimes your arrows have 90 difference in direction.

Say, if rotation is the seasoning in tectonic movement, you exaggerated on the salt ;)

Will wait for your version 2.0. From your msg, I bet you will be on the right track.

Corvus Marinus
04-28-2014, 11:58 PM

Better? :)

I've adjusted the motions of the plates…. Still not sure about some of the boundaries, especially on 1, 3, and 9. I've got a ring of divergent faults circling the globe and branching along the south border of 2. Something doesn't look right to me, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

Hai-Etlik
04-29-2014, 12:51 AM
Really all plate movement is rotation. The difference is where the axis of rotation is relative to the centre of the plate. When the plate is "rotating" its axis of rotiation is near it. When it's "translating" the axis of rotation is far away.

To get tectonics right you really have to think in terms of being on a sphere. No map you can draw of an entire globe, or even an entire hemisphere can possibly preserve the direction of movement of tectonic plates so you really can't plan this out on a map. You really need a globe. A ball that you can draw on with a marker is the best way to accomplish this. Polystyrene craft balls are a possibility. Doing this in your head is REALLY hard and doing it with a map is just going to mislead you so get a ball, scribble on your ideas, figure out the converging, diverging, transverse faults, reshape the faults to fit what they are doing, (Transverse faults are circular arcs, usually very big ones that look like "straight lines" over the distance you see them, rift zones are usually arcs of great circles (the spherical equivalent of straight lines) broken up by transverse faults perpendicular to them, particularly along ocean floors. Subduction zones tend to bulge out toward the subducting plate, particularly if the overriding plate is oceanic, and continental convergent zones may retain the bulged arc from when the oceanic plate between them subducted away.

Pixie
04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Indeed, all plate movement is rotation. Particularly with the center of the planet as the reference - however, a lot of the movement seems translational if projected on the surface as if it was a flat surface.

Corvus, I think you are still a few iterations from finished and I would use Hai-Etlik advice of getting a spherical object to project your continent into. I know some oranges got stared at a lot when I was trying to envisage the tectonics for my con-planet.

Or, if oranges / polystyrene balls aren't readily available, download the program G.projector and upload your map into it, to get a grasp of how your drawings fit a globe. You'll be amazed at some results (especially a look at any of the poles directly from above - that's orthogonal projection). Try it ;)

Corvus Marinus
04-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Okay, I took your advice, and it's all been quite helpful. No oranges or balls happened to be handy, so I used G.projector. I adjusted some problematically-shaped plates and got a general sense of proper relative direction. I also studied this diagram for some time: File:Tectonic plates boundaries detailed-en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tectonic_plates_boundaries_detailed-en.svg)

I came up with this. Red arrows show plate motion and the other arrows show boundaries (purple: divergent, blue: convergent, green: transform). Am I getting closer?

Pixie
05-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Using g.projector will surely put you closer, but I think you may have been a little hasty in calling this. There's a lot of issues, which seem to originate in not taking enough time to glue all bits and pieces together... here's some:

- plate 9 has no movement. It is also just a bundle of convergent boundaries, it should have a divergent one which would then fuel its movement.
- plate 1 is nearly the same. It has far too many convergent boundaries.
- plate 12 has a divergent boundary, but it is not consistent with its movement.
- same goes for plate 8 on its western side.
- with the current movement direction of plates 1 and 2, the boundary between then should be divergent, at least at its northern end. (this would create a nice little triangular plate, being pushed southwards by 6 (subduction) and forming on the its southern side as magma rises to cover the gap left by the splitting of plates 1 and 2)
- plate 13 moving southwards creates a divergent boundary with plate 4, not a convergent one

On the plus side (don't want you to quit, after all)
- I like what you did with plates 2/3/4/5
- I like that you scrapped most of the boundaries that ran all the way to the pole (a common beginners mistake)
- you have microplates, that's a useful instrument to accomodate the tricky details in the end
- you are rightfuly using a very good image of Earth's tectonics as a model (I use that same image a lot)

Here's what I suggest:
Retrace your boundaries as your create the next version - start with oceanic divergent (which will be long curves, with almost no angles).
Plates which are mainly oceanic, formed on those boundaries, will move directly away from it.
The rest needs to fit this. Always. Oceanic crust creation IS the source of nearly all movement.

(If I sound like a teacher setting homework or a mr-know-it-all and in any way annoying you, please just say. This is me enjoying being able to help, that's all) ;)

Corvus Marinus
05-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Oh no, you're not annoying me at all. I'm glad you enjoy being able to help, as I don't wish to be a nuisance with my questions and generally low level of comprehension.

I figured most of the movement in a supercontinent breaking up would come from rifting continental plates rather than oceanic crust creation. I do see what you mean about plate 9, though; it occurred to me afterward that I should have added a strong divergent boundary on that side of the ocean. Would you recommend that I change the motion of plates 1 and 11 and make the 1/9 and 11/9 boundaries divergent? That would give me an extensive length for oceanic crust creation, whose shape I would modify.

The convergent boundary at 1 and 2 was suggested to me by the way the map looked in G.Projector; but that angle is a bit difficult to read one way or another. Based on the general motion of the plates, I see that divergent is more logical.

As far as the north boundary of plate 12, the idea was that 4 was moving faster than 12 and subducting it… unless the relative motion of 4 and 12 would actually take them away from one another. The 14/12 boundary would then also be divergent.

I'll do some redrawing and get back to you.

Corvus Marinus
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
I've redrawn borders and changed a few plate motions. I implemented the idea above for oceanic crust creation. It looks pretty consistent in G.Projector. I'm still a little unsure if I got it right in the southern hemisphere around 12/14/4.

EDIT: Also, if it helps, here is the tectonic map with the Hammer projection. I generally used Azimuthal to see plate movements, but of course you can't see very much with any one projection.

Pixie
05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I see what you mean at the 12/14/4 plates boundary. But it's not really problematic. I'd say a "plausible" explanation stems from plate 10 and 12, actually. It seems to be they are two smallish plates of oceanic floor that aren't moving anymore (kind of leftovers from a previous oceanic rift that is no more). So, whatever was fueling movement in that region has stopped except from the little oceanic crust being formed at 11.

Job well done. (I think it's time for you to retrace the continents over this map, if I may suggest)

Corvus Marinus
05-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Lo, hypothetical continents. And hypothetical orange highlands.

I made some small modifications to the crust when I realized I couldn't justify 11 and 10 being continental. So I merged 12 into 4 and slightly modified 14 and 13. Now we have clearer movement between the rifting and the oceanic crust creation with less confusion and a more equitable balance of land and water than leaving out any land masses in the south.

When I've settled on the shapes of the continents, I'll switch to Gimp to refine the coastline, work on elevations, and such.

I know the interior of these large continents will be inhospitable.

By the way, Pixie, I've found your "tutorials" very informative, in addition to the direct input you've given. I'm sure they'll come in useful as I move through topography and toward climate.

Pixie
05-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I think this is now a good piece of work and very believable tectonics. You got the mechanics of continental crust vs oceanic crust, and that is (as I come to realize from helping more and more people imagining their earth-like planets), the key for it all.

I'm glad I was able to help. And yeah, that inland is going to be filled with massive deserts, I wonder how it will shape out...

Keep us posted!

Corvus Marinus
05-22-2014, 01:12 AM
Some elevation. I'm not looking to be super-precise. I think it looks natural.... Anyone? The dark green is 0-500 meters above sea level, then 500-1000, 1000-2000, and so forth in increments of 1000.

EDIT: I have done some climate work, mostly following Pixie's tutorial steps and using the Climate Cookbook where he left off. I think this world is shaping up the way I want; I just don't have a good map to show yet. I am only planning to do precision work on the area for the novel, but I'll probably first generate a world map. If I can resolve the climates in a timely manner, I may try constructing something presentable next week.

Pixie
05-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I'd say you have it good enough to work out the rough climate map. Please share when you have something you are happy with (and if I may ask, include your working maps, just for my own pleasure of seeing stuff done the "way I prescribe").

Corvus Marinus
05-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Okay. Here are the working climate maps I came up with. Please let me know if I missed or misunderstood anything.

Ocean currents:

Pressure areas and wind currents (January):

Pressure areas and wind currents (July):

Rain patterns (January):

Rain patterns (July):

I haven't gotten much further yet. Based on the Climate Cookbook, I drew up this for the area in which my novel is based:

Apologies for not including latitude lines in the images. I used program guide lines to help me keep track of the 0/30/60 lines.

Pixie
05-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow! To see my "way of doing things" taken by others.. that's a powerful motivator, thanks for sharing, Corvus.

I think it's generally well, but I would advise revising because of two things you might have missed or downplayed:
- the ITCZ wanders a lot between north and south when over large continents - your 1/3 of the planet pangea sure is a large continent. I think it is advisable to make ITCZ much southern in january and much northern in july - maybe well into the 30.
- on the cold half of the year, large continents generate very big high pressure zones at its center - that's because the cooling is extreme in comparison to the water covered areas - It seems you completely overlooked this and placed low pressure centers instead.

Good job nevertheless!

Corvus Marinus
05-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Ah! Thanks for catching that about the continental high-pressure points. Definitely something I missed.

I'll make the ITCZ wander more. I was wondering about that, given how similar my January/July rain maps looked when I was done, and I expected a bit more variation. It makes sense.

Corvus Marinus
06-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I've been traveling/camping over the past couple weeks. That and the intense busyness leading up to the trip are why I've been so entirely absent of late.

I'm afraid my map-making skills are not yet up to the task of producing something handsome and complete. I've tried and continued to try, but so far have produced nothing remotely satisfactory. So I'll offer a non-visual description of the world, or at least the continent on which my novels are set, and see if that fills the void for now.

First, some history as it currently appears.

There was war on the face of the earth between the gods. The rebellious jinni Bajenl sowed destruction and hatred with his shadow-mirror, and many glorious beings fell back into the Uncreated Light from whom they first arose. Yet at last Bajenl was defeated, and went into hiding deep in the bowels of the earth with what remained of his armies, and the gods did not pursue him. The war left the world a lifeless wasteland, and the gods returned to the heavens, keeping watch lest Bajenl should appear again. An age of ice and wind followed, an age of deserts and desolation over the vast continent.

Yet there remained a secret and protected place, a warm crater lake called the Grail in which were green islands. As the age of ice and wind drew to a close, men emerged from the Grail. Bajenl appeared with his demons to oppose man and enslave him, and for many years men suffered under their oppressions. But the Thaumaturge King raised a rebellion against them, and defeated them, and sealed them in the earth to await the return of the gods. He established a holy council of guardians to look after humanity after his death

For several centuries mankind prospered. Men learned the art of agriculture and built great cities and kingdoms, and all the kings and queens sat on the council of guardians and followed the ways of the Thaumaturge King, honoring the light. But there was a young man, Hanad, who sought to master the occult powers of the earth, and in his travels discovered the door to the underworld. He loosed the demons in return for incredible powers and immortality; he became a sorcerer-king, the White Flying Serpent, and the demons appointed him to administer the earth. With demonic power behind him, he conquered many kingdoms and defeated the guardian council. Yet a prophet led a remnant north into the wastes, and found there a high mountain, from which came a race of angelic beings, send by the gods to defend the world from the power of the demons. Hanad's empire fell, and the sorcerer-king fled over the sea, while the demons concealed themselves again and waited for their opportunity.

The Celestials, as the new angelic guardians were called, divided up the world between them, and they chose a line of men through whom to rule, the Sceptered, and gave them great occult powers and long lives. Though the Celestials grew reclusive and wore masks before men, their empire was great; many worshiped them as gods. In time, however, there was a rifting in their unity, for what reasons men were not privy, nor even most of the Sceptered. Though many Celestials maintained their power, the empire split and receded in places, until only the northwest corner of the world was still under the power of the empire called Celestial and the Sceptered Emperor. Elsewhere, the Celestials often seemed to have vanished altogether, remaining alive only in folklore and the occasional visions of priests and holy men.

This is the time at which the novel is set. The Celestial Empire in the west appears stable at its present boundaries but is rotten at its core and more fragile than it seems; the Celestials are aloof, the Sceptered Emperors struggle to rule the many peoples under their dominion, and discontent is spreading. Meanwhile, Hanad has secretly returned from over the sea, and wanders about in disguise, preparing for the restoration of his kingdom.

Now for a description of geography, at least of that northwestern area in which the novels are set. Hopefully anyone desirous of close examination can follow along with the elevation map posted previously.

The small, mountainous continent in the western ocean is very wet on the west side, especially during winter, and driest on the southeast side. There is a small empire there which centuries before broke away from the Celestial Empire; it is unstable, frequently breaking apart and reforming, intermittently gaining power over the islands to its north.

The northwest corner of the major continent is cold and wet in the coastal regions and dry and rocky inland. Several smaller kingdoms are there and many tribes, frequently rebellious and caught up in inner strife. They are nevertheless united under the Principality of Hurom, a vassal state to the Celestial Empire administered by governing princes.

Just to the south and over the mountains is the heartland of the Celestial Empire. The northwestern parts are fertile; the southwest coast is mostly scrub, and inland lie forests and grasslands. The most populous city is situated in the fertile land not far from the coast, while the capital sits at the feet of the eastern mountains.

Further south lies another empire, the Four Nersite Kingdoms, whose size exceeds the Celestial Empire, though the population is smaller. The country it covers is arid and mostly desert, with its most fertile land in the south and from a major river floodplain near their northern boundary. The Nersite empire is highly cultured and stable, often in conflict with the Celestial Empire to the north.

The borders of this empire end at the the great central desert, which is also the present limit of the Celestial Empire. Over the Quiet Salt Sea the grass and scrublands soon turn to hot desert, and then further north cold desert and a cold, arid plateau of whirling winds. This desert is uninhabitable at its center; the northern and southern periphery host a few nomadic tribes, and more still in the steppes to the east and southeast.

Across the ancient mountains on the far side of the desert is the land of Kalbakan (or Tsul-Bavand), which in the highland north is populated mostly by semi-nomadic herding tribes, and in the south supports a small valley civilization. The northeast peninsula is actively volcanic, no longer inhabited, and borders an arctic waste. Further east and south is a vast forested land that, toward the equator, becomes jungle.

The protagonist of the novel begins as a child in Kalbakan, ends up crossing the desert, and most of the narrative takes place in and around the Celestial Empire.

Corvus Marinus
07-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks to Pixie's tutorial, I've done more advanced temperature calculations. Climate zones coming up next.

January

July

Pixie
07-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Looks pretty realistic / plausible. And now you're one step away from finding out the climates zones...

And btw, good look with Georgia, I hear it's a great place for trekking in the mountains (never been around, though).

Corvus Marinus
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah, my wife and I are pretty excited about getting to go to Georgia. My wife has never been outside of the USA (except Mexico), and Georgia is a place I've wanted to go for a while. As long as the political situation stays stable, with Russia next door.... :?

...Somehow I find time to do this.

Still some visual cleanup to do and adjustments to make, but the first draft is done. I went through Pixie's whole tutorial for adding the climate zones. I ended up with a decent amount of blank space near the middle and extremities, which I filled in best I could using various websites discussing the Kppen scheme. I ended up using Dwc, which Pixie merged into Dfc/Dsc.

I'm still a little unsure about that region, right about the north center of the map, where you have close vertical stripes of taiga, steppe, and savannah. That was a blank area, getting moderate rain in the winter by the mountains and moderate rain in the summer on the coast. Summers are mild, winters very cold. I made a guess, but I'm not confident about it.

I'm also wondering if I ought to expand the size of my west coast deserts.... I may have made my dry areas too small in my original precipitation map.

EDIT: The extent of the tundra has me wondering, too. However, I am working with a supercontinent, in which dramatic extremes are to be expected. I haven't yet tried to factor in the potential for a megamonsoon, which many experts think were a staple on supercontinents due to extraordinary land-ocean pressure differences.

Pixie
07-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Oh wow, it does look realistic/plausible and I'm sure you can be glad with your results.

So, basically, there are three different places for productive agriculture / civilization spawn - the northwestern coast, the south of the pangaea and the southern coasts of the large eastern island-continent. Traveling along that long north-south sea between two distant cultures would be quite a feat and surely the source of tales, including contact with pastoral cultures from the savanna and inland highland cultures.

Corvus, your climate map is already making the whole thing more "alive". ;)

As for your issues:
- If you want to make the supercontinent effect stronger, all you need to do is enlarge the high pressure / low pressure centers on it when working on the rain pattern. Also, you can adjust the temperature map to increase the influence of some factors (I'm thinking inland factor, mainly).
- Unless your map is in a projection that is "equal area", that extent of tundra isn't really too much, so I wouldn't worry about it - a massive continent will have very large areas with similar climates.

Azelor
07-24-2014, 12:34 PM
1-One of my biggest concern was the extend of the tundra. When I look at Earth, tundra usually stick close to the sea. By definition, the climate is less extreme than some of the D climates because it's close to the sea. In the tundra, Winter is not as cold but summer is also cooler and shorter. Another factor to consider is that you have a very high pressure system that is trapping all the cold air over the land in winter. It could be even worse than Siberia.
Most of the inland tundra could become Dfd,Dwd or Dsd if the altitude is high enough. I doubt that you should extend the EF area because the summer season could be too hot for this. Yeah 5 degree is too hot.

2- since we are dealing with a large continent, larger than Asia correct? You should move the ITCZ and the subtropical high pressure to the north in the summer. It would stay the same in winter.

3-The other thing to take into consideration as you said is the possible mega monsoon effect triggered by the size of the continent. How far could water travel inland before falling? More moisture will be drawn fro the sea but where does it fall? Is it evenly dispersed or there is a great contrast between the coast and the land ? I'm not really sure.

4-Correct me if I misunderstood your map but your are making mountains drier? It's true only if you are in the rain shadow, otherwise it's sometimes the opposite.

Observations on particular climate:

BSk: rarely form that close to the water unless mountains shield it from the temperance of the sea. They are also more common with higher elevations.

Csa/Csb: make sure you make them stick to the sea, some go too far inland in the west part. These climate's temperature have little variation over the course of the year because the are usually close to a body of water.

Cfa/Cwa: if you decide to increase the monsoon effect, these climates could cover much more land. Cfa more along the coasts and Cwa more inland.

Cwc: As I told Pixie, this is a relatively cold climate

Average temperature of the 3 coldest months between 0 C and 18 C
Average temperature of the 3 hottest months between 10C and 22 C
No more than 3 months with average temperature > 10 C

I think a place like these along the coast is the south should have a hotter climate than this

Cfb: I'm not sure this climate could go that far in the north. I think that most of it should become Cfc instead.

That being said, I should add that most of my observations are based on generalizations but also by trying to take in consideration your wind directions and temperatures. What I said could still be wrong if I missed something.

Corvus Marinus
07-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Pixie:

I'm glad the creative potential of this invented world excites someone else besides me!

Azelor:

1. Okay. Yeah, the dramatic difference in tundra extent between this map and Asia did have me wondering. I haven't worked myself around to cleaning up the northern hemisphere yet, but when I do, I'll take a closer look with your observations into account.

2. If you are referring to the precipitation/pressure maps in #17, I have already updated those to reflect more ITCZ movement, on Pixie's recommendation.

3. I'll continue to consider this.

4. This is something I will correct as I move around the map in more detail.

BSk: It did turn out quite prevalent on east coasts; my precipitation maps showed these areas as low precipitation year-round. I'm not sure how to correct this.

Csa/Csb, Cfa/Cwa: Noted.

Cwc: I've already changed most of the Cwc in the south to Dwa. Based on the document you posted recently, it seemed more suitable.

Cfb: I may have estimated too much warmth from the currents and ocean winds. I'll make the adjustment.

Thanks for the recommendations.

By the way--is it possible to end up with zones of Dsa/Dsb and Dwa/Dwb right next to each other? I don't see it anywhere on the Earth map, but I while editing the southern hemisphere I ended up with a zone that looks a lot like it. According to my precipitation maps, the northern areas get a bit of rain blown inland from the ocean during the winter but not summer, and vice versa immediately to the south. I know I must have something wrong somewhere, but I'm confused now.

Azelor
07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't know where it's located on your map but they don't go well together because it imply a radical change in the precipitation pattern on a small area. You woulds need something to separate them like a mountains range maybe. It could be possible.

Corvus Marinus
07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Draft 2. Still some work to be done, especially on the mountains, but I think I'm starting to get a feel for what ought to go where. I realized that the east coasts should receive more summer precipitation due to low continental pressure in the summer. I also extended the western deserts substantially to merge the coastal deserts with the surely bone-dry interior.

Improved?

Pixie
07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Yes, improved, I say.

What's your next step/stage?

Azelor
07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
I would say that it's better but the tundra area is still problematic. The thing is, I expect that the climates should be more extreme than what is shown on your temperature map (in the north). Possibly hotter in summer and definitely colder in the winter. If the continentality (far from the ocean) is as strong as in Siberia, the temperatures range is similar.

To make a better use of the Koppen classification, I would recommend that you use my modified version of the Trewartha thermal scale. I modified it a little in order to match with the Koppen classification. With 10 categories.

Severely hot: 35 C or more
Very hot: 28 to 35 C
Hot: 22 to 28 C
Warm: 18 to 22 C
Mild: 10 to 18 C
Cool: 0 to 10 C
Cold: −10 to 0 C
Very cold: −25 to −10 C
Severely cold: −38 to −25 C
Deadly cold: −38 C or below

Pixie
07-29-2014, 09:22 PM
That's doubling the mean temperature accuracy, Azelor. The same method can be used, but I worry about the increment in the amount of work needed.

On the other hand, I see your problem with the very large savanna area. I think the problem with that was the original temperature+rain to climate that we are trying. Adjusting from a "rain pattern" map to a "available humidity" one will probably yield a larger desert/steppe in the center of the continent and it will also make the regions closer to the poles less dry.
I am posting such a "available humidity" map in the original thread for the tutorial-to-be (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/27118-wip-sort-tutorial-climates-applying-geoffs-cookbook-detail-some-5.html) on this.

Corvus Marinus
07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Soon, time allowing, I intend to put together a basic map of populations/civilizations. After that, I'm interesting in doing an "artistic" map of the northern area in which my novels are based. I've already got one started, but a long ways to go, I fear.

Part of the reason for all that tundra is that magnificent northern mountain range.... Basically the Himalayas in Siberia. I'll think further about how to adjust the climates to be more satisfactory. But frankly, although I will continue to work on it and enjoy it, I do not know how much more concentrated work I wish to put into this one issue. I'm okay at present with rough estimates. I appreciate your continued help and recommendations, though.