PDA

View Full Version : *** April 2014 Challenge Voting - Highway to Hell ***

- Max -
05-03-2014, 05:42 AM
This month's challenge was to make of map of Hell and depict your vision of the bad place. It seems like it was inspiring and we had a lot of (great) entries!

April Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 3 days and the winner will receive a shiny golden compass, the praise and admiration of his peers, and a free trip to the hellish destination of your choice paid by the Guild . May the best map win!

Eilathen
05-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Wow, some really nice offerings. It was really hard to decide. And i could not give my vote to just one person.
My favourites, this time, are : Diamond, Carbus, Max, Lingon. All for very different reasons. I really like the idea behind Max's map...the journey map of some of the greek heroes - cool stuff. Diamond's map just appeals to me very much in its style and overall composition. Same goes for Carbus' map...a really nice style and i love the norse-feel of it...i wish we could see an even higher resolution of it to really be able to see the details (i want to see the mountains and forests in more detail...they look awesome). Lingon's map i like because his hand-drawn style just is different then most of what is posted here. I also like the coloring that is very hell-appropriate :D

Ok, enough rambling from me. Congrats to all the participants, some awesome talent is shown here!

lostatsea
05-03-2014, 11:39 AM
As usual alot of nice entries ! Some however to me represented Hell more visually than others. I voted for Lingon's "The Abyssal Colonies" and Carbus's "Fitedra" maps because even without the Labels there was a Hellish feel to them ! Good luck to all ; Great entries !!

Ilanthar
05-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Truth be told, I was tempted to do a map for this challenge (inspired by the RPG Aquelarre for those who know it)... But I hadn't much time and was already working on other maps.
And honestly, when I see the numerous incredible maps here, I don't regret it ;)!

As Eilathen, it's very hard to chose and I had to cast three votes. But my rep power is sure going to be in action! Cool challenge, and again, great inspiring maps!

arsheesh
05-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Another tough one. There were some very good entries this round (Lingon, Carbus and Diamond all had excellent entries). My top two contenders however were Max's Realm of Hades and Skylock's Hell the Eternal Soul Grinder. Given that the latter remains unfinished however, my single vote goes to Max this round, however I'm repping everyone mentioned (assuming I can).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
05-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Amazing entries this time! Max's, Carbus' and Diamond's entries are fantastic fantasy maps, but Djekspek's and Slylok's interpreted the theme in the best way, in my opinion. So I'll vote for Djekspek, since The Eternal Soul Grinder isn't finished. And I'll rep everyone I can :)

jkat718
05-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Carbus' Fitedra is a beautiful map, with a great palette and a very distinctive feel to it.
I personally loved Djekspek's Going Down, I think it has a great aesthetic as well as capturing the essence of this month's challenge.
Domino's Land of Sorrow was a very interesting interpretation of "hell," and the incorporation of text was very well done (I think the font was really nice, whoever chose it was very smart... ;) )
With Hell: The Eternal Soul Grinder, Slylock made some great design choices, as well as having an interesting backstory to his map. It's a shame it didn't get finished in time.

EricPoehlsen
05-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Some great entries this month again, I went with Lingons Abyssal Colonies for it's backstory and quality make it, in my opinion, the best map in this competition.

TheHoarseWhisperer
05-06-2014, 03:50 AM
The challenge this month is not to map hell, but to pick only one (or, in my case, 2) maps to vote for among the many excellent entries. This is my hell; I've never seen so many great entries in one place, before.

My votes went to Djekspek and Carbus. The reasons have been said by others, I think, but I'll explain briefly anyway.

Djekspek's artwork is magnificent. Perhaps, if I was being nitpicky, I'd argue it isn't really a map, but rather some fantastic painting, but it does capture the concept of descent into hell better than any other entries; at least, in my opinion.

I enjoyed seeing Carbus map develop, and the final result displays the attention and time put into it. Carbus' hell is not some fiery furnace, but a bleak, cold land, and I think that is an interesting and original take. The mountains are excellent, and the application of Max' fractal waves technique works brilliantly.

Max' map is, unsurprisingly, superb, and I must admit, my reason for not voting for it was less to do with the quality of the work, but the reasoning that Max already has plenty of shiny compasses (I know that is not in the spirit of things, and sorry Max if that seems unfair; I will certainly provide rep, if I can). I really like the waves technique, and am definitely going to try it out. The way the waves seem to converge in one place suggests some monstrous current. One of my favourites, this month.

Diamond's map seemed to be off to a shaky start, but he took a new approach, and the result really paid off. An excellent map indeed. The unusual elongated rectangle really appeals to me. My 5th favourite (but remember, the competition is so tight this month, under different circumstances it would be numero uno).

I think Domino44 made the biggest effort to really contemplate the subject. The map he/she produced has all the qualities of an excellent map, but is perhaps not quite as polished as, say, Max' or Diamond's work. Nonetheless, a very worthy entry.

Moving on to Lingon's abyssal colonies, I originally thought this map would not be finished since there was a long period of inactivity (or inattentiveness on my part). Regardless, this is an extremely good map, with an original and, I think, humourous take on the subject. My 4th favourite of the month.

Slylok seems to have an incredible talent for Drawing, especially mountains. Yet another magnificent entry, albeit one that doesn't seem finished.

All of those above mentioned will be getting some rep coming their way, if I am able to send it.

THW

- Max -
05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
This Challenge is now finished, thanks to all the contestants for all the great entries and thanks to all who vote and support them! Congratulations Lingon, for a well deserved win! I will get your shiny medal shortly :)

Max' map is, unsurprisingly, superb, and I must admit, my reason for not voting for it was less to do with the quality of the work, but the reasoning that Max already has plenty of shiny compasses (I know that is not in the spirit of things, and sorry Max if that seems unfair; I will certainly provide rep, if I can).
THW
I just want to catch up Diamond :( :D

fabio p
05-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Oh no, I thought there was still time to vote! The funny thing is that I lost time and lost the chance, because I was extremely undecided who to vote for. This month’s quality and number of entries overwhelmed me. Congrats to Lingon for his new golden compass ( his map is a won chromatic bet) and to all the contestants.

Lingon
05-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the votes and the rep and comments! :) :) Totally didn't expect to win, with all the super cool entries this month. Thanks everyone :)

Diamond
05-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Congrats on the win Lingon. Well-deserved; I think this is probably my favorite map of yours.

arsheesh
05-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Congrats Lingon, it was a great map!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Slylok
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Congrats Lingon! Really sweet map!

This was fun to participate in and see everyone's creative genius in action. I never really followed a challenge until this one and I found the experience priceless.

ravells
05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
What a great competition. I made only one vote and that went to Slylock because his map pressed all my buttons and just blew me away. The others were great too but Slylock's called to me more.