PDA

View Full Version : Need inspiration

Mulliman
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Hello!

Ive been trying to convert this map from Paint to another program, but lack of time and willingness made me abandon that and instead I decided to just go ahead and continue creating a map only using Paint :). Might sound weird, but I kind of like the way it looks.

So, I added another continent to the map, but I have kind of hit a wall here. Maybe it was my fault for not planning it out before I did the coastlines, but I have no idea how to go ahead in order to make it acceptable. So I decided to bring a third party in.

So my question is: where do you think the mountains, rivers, plains and so on could be placed? The western continent gives a clue to the scale of the map.

Any other critique or remark is also welcome, of course.

(dont mind the scribblings on the western continent, its not accurate anyway)

ravells
08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, I'm so amazed that you produced such a beautiful map using paint that I take the view that you are more than qualified to know where to put the mountains. If you wanted a suggestion I would say (based only on the fact that the southern bit looks like a reversed Iberian peninsula that you have a central plateau in wider area near the bottom and a higher range (ala the Pyranees) joining the coasts at the neck further up.

Steel General
08-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Ravells I'm with you... when I saw that it was made in Paint of all things I was kind of surprised that it was a request for help. I've never felt that paint was worth a darn for doing anything, and here is very nice map made with that tragedy of a program (no offense meant Mulliman).

But to get to the OP's question, I'm no geography "guru" like some folks are here, I usually just go with what I "feel" looks good. So there's my advice. :D

Clercon
08-09-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm astonished that this map is done in paint. Or as you say in swedish "helt fantastiskt".
But I do think you will get the mountains in yourself. Print the map out and try out som different options where to put your mountains. I usually do it that way and it works great.

Let us see your result when your done.

cheers

NeonKnight
08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Are we talking PAINT as in MS PAINT the default graphics program that comes with MS WINDOWS??????? :o

Eilathen
08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Wow, I like what i see...great map!

This is the world for your novel, right? You know, now that i have seen the map in its new version (I think you posted one already, but in a much different format, no?), i demand an excerpt...i want to know what the story is about ;):lol:

As to the problem, i would go with Clercon's suggestion...print it out, try some different versions and i am sure you will hit the "Oh, that looks perfect"-variant in no time

Mulliman
08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Print the map out and try out som different options where to put your mountains. I usually do it that way and it works great.

Let us see your result when your done.

cheers
If you wanted a suggestion I would say (based only on the fact that the southern bit looks like a reversed Iberian peninsula that you have a central plateau in wider area near the bottom and a higher range (ala the Pyranees) joining the coasts at the neck further up.

Ah, great idea!

Im actually thinking of putting a big desert in the middle, with two or three cultural centers on the fringes and the desert acting as both a border/wasteland/nomad zone and melting pot. Sort of like Arabia or the Maghreb.

Are we talking PAINT as in MS PAINT the default graphics program that comes with MS WINDOWS???????
Well, yes :). I have intended to learn another program for quite some time, but the main focus of this pet project isnt the mapping anyway, so it was kind of never a priority.

This is the world for your novel, right? You know, now that i have seen the map in its new version (I think you posted one already, but in a much different format, no?), i demand an excerpt...i want to know what the story is about

Well, it is not a novel yet, as such :). It started as an idea of a great empire-builder, which evolved from that. Im a history maniac and student, so this has been the main focus for my world. The story is taking shape, but while I was creating the history, I stumbled across many more good stories, so I guess it will take quite some time to finish any of them :).

Eilathen
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, it is not a novel yet, as such :). It started as an idea of a great empire-builder, which evolved from that. Im a history maniac and student, so this has been the main focus for my world. The story is taking shape, but while I was creating the history, I stumbled across many more good stories, so I guess it will take quite some time to finish any of them :).

Ah, sounds great. You know, I'd also be interested in the history and workings of this world (I'm a RPG-Fanatic and worlds just interest me :D ), so if you're willing to share...

And hopefully you'll show us where you go with this map.

Mulliman
08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I've filled in some of the eastern continent, though Im not really sure if Im satisfied. Might be I just kill off the northern sea, have to consider.

Ah, sounds great. You know, I'd also be interested in the history and workings of this world (I'm a RPG-Fanatic and worlds just interest me :D ), so if you're willing to share...

And hopefully you'll show us where you go with this map.

Well, where to start?

I first created a world where civilization expanded according to Earth, but that turned out to be rather dull and complicated. So while I am keeping the setting low magic, it still has fantastical elements. Far from hurled fireballs and lightning, the magic is "deep", kind of like it was understood in our own world. The most hands-on magical event in the history of the world is where a nomad warlord makes a pact with the wind, allowing him to carve out a massive empire. But aside from that, magic plays a minor role.

The multiverse where this world is placed is not constructed like ours, with space and stars. Rather think of it like the ancient Colosseum in Rome, where the center of this construct is the "Throne", looking out over row upon row of worlds, like so many pearl necklaces. Numerous species and entities live in the multiverse and when a race of Titans wrested control over the Throne, they, together with their allies, turned on some ancient enemies of theirs.

These enemies were a vampiric race called Amalek, who travelled from world to world, sucking them dry of energy and life. They were now persecuted, the hunt lasting for millennia. Finally, when only eight remained, they fled to a backwater world in one of the outermost rings of the multiverse. This is the world I am creating.

Steel General
08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I think this is coming along nicely, and your background sounds interesting.

Eilathen
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
That sounds nice...i like the wind-story, very mythical :) Hope to see more...

And can you tell us what is written in the map? The longer text-passages? Is this swedish?

Cheers
Eilathen

Mulliman
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Is this swedish?Indeed!

I have been travelling for some time, and have neither had the time nor the energy to continue with this project. However, the abstinence is getting a bit serious, so decided to start with it anyway.

Since I dont have my notes here, I will work on the western area of the world (having decided that the eastern part wasnt how I wanted it), so I need to create a map for that. The computer I use is not very impressive, so will be forced to continue with Paint, as before :). Instead, I will focus on the history and backstory.

Part I - Trapped Gods
When the Amalek entered into this world, they were like gods, and gods they became. Each of them creating realms of their own, they pushed away or exterminated the natural spirits of the land. One of these spirits, the Matron or Earth Mother, was sacrificed, her blood used in a ritual that created a barrier between the world and the multiverse, effectively protecting the Amalek from the persecuting Titans.

With dominion established, these gods extended their control over all the continents, harnessing the energy of all living things. Humans were discovered and with the creative minds of this new race, the Amalek realized the great amount of power that could be extracted from their worship. Organizing and dominating these primitive tribes was an easy task and the Amalek quickly became the focus of their superstitions and beliefs.

With the humans under their grasp, the Amalek thrived and grew in strength. With their aid, great monuments were built to the glory of the gods, strongholds and palaces created for their comfort, even the lay of the land restructured to suit the tastes of these supernatural beings.

Yet the nature of the Amalek betrayed a profound flaw in their existence on this world. Proud and arrogant, although their numbers had dwindled over the past millennia, they were still prone to quarrels and suspicion. Thus, after some time, through deceit, murder and treachery, only half their number remained.

While the mental characteristics of the Amalek being one point, there was still another, far more lethal. With air being the source of life of their human slaves, the Amalek needed pure energy in order to survive. It was this characteristic that forced them to move from world to world and it was this which had prompted the pogroms of the Titans that currently occupied the Throne of the multiverse. Since they had created a barrier between this world and the outside, they were trapped. As if by a slow asphyxiation, they faded away, consuming the life energy of their surroundings. They left behind a world completely changed, devoid of power of magic and a race that had become accustomed to domination and divine rule.

A map will be forthcoming in a week roundabouts.

Steel General
02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Interesting back story...

Eilathen
02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Welcome back, Mulliman.

So i was right about the language :D Can you translate what you have written on the map?

Looking forward to the updated map.

And have some rep *casting a blue-into-green rep-spell*

Mulliman
05-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I am back again, moaha!

Removed alot, redid alot and started to realize where I want to take this.

I also started a wiki for the history of the world, which quickly turned really big (even though Ive only copied a few of the billion notes I have for the world). But I cant show that yet since the presentation is really crude :).

But anyway, here is the world as it currently looks. I left the notes in just because.

NeonKnight
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
It's sooo nice. I just wish it was in english :(

Ascension
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Looks outstanding so far.

Steel General
05-15-2009, 08:10 PM
It's sooo nice. I just wish it was in english :(

One of the paragraphs is (the Styrashi?)

Mulliman
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Hallo!

Well, now Im finally done with the Western Lands. They are called Aaroch and Knerdes (in the south and north respectively). These lands are very humid and warm, with a distinct culture and religion, quite different from that of the Eastern Lands of Euvkostir and Rash Zarh.

Ascension
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I like this look, very professional.

Davros01
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I have to agree with the rest. i was amazed that this was done in paint. The only suggestion I might make is to add some islands.

great map

Mulliman
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Allright, I need some inspiration again! :)

I had written up a whole block of history for the recent continent I created, but decided it didnt really fit and would actually work better if I moved the entire story (with some changes) to the south-eastern continent Im working on now.

SOOooo, does anyone, from looking at the map and fantazising a little, feel like just throwing out some ideas, for where kingdoms could be, names, the general political boundaries, history and so on of this continent?

Anything is welcome, I really need to break the track my mind is working in.

Steel General
09-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Your rivers (at least I think they are rivers) appear to make great national boundaries.

It could at one time have been one larger country, that has since broken down into smaller, (but still loosely) affiliated states.

Ascension
09-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Anyplace where a river meets the ocean is a great spot for a city because of trade. Anyplace where two long rivers meet is also a great spot. What I do is plot out my coastal and river cities then draw roads between them. Where the roads intersect I put a town. Then I draw roads connecting the towns. Where those roads meet I put a village. Then I sprinkle in hamlets here n there just for flavor. As far as naming, I have no ideas because I don't know what sort of people live here.