PDA

View Full Version : Making a continent in GIMP

bryguy
08-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I made this tutorial while figuring out how to make a GIMP version of ascensions Making a continent in photoshop tutorial. Some parts may be a little confusing, but I tried to make it fairly understandable :)

bryguy
08-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Im trying to figure out how to create a volcano. Im getting a pretty good result with my tries, and so far for my volcanoes they look something like this:

Ascension
08-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Lookin mighty fine there. I can only comment on the results as I am not a GIMP pro, but I'd say that this is pretty true to the way I had done mine so... excellent job so far. The volcano might need a lil tweaking still but otherwise it's all good. :)

bryguy
08-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Lookin mighty fine there. I can only comment on the results as I am not a GIMP pro, but I'd say that this is pretty true to the way I had done mine so... excellent job so far. The volcano might need a lil tweaking still but otherwise it's all good. :)

yea Im still working on the volcano, as it keeps looking wrong for some reason

Steel General
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Someone did a "tutlet" a while back on doing volcanoes, don't have time to look for it now. But it may be of some use, even though I believe it was created for GIMP.

bryguy
08-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Someone did a "tutlet" a while back on doing volcanoes, don't have time to look for it now. But it may be of some use, even though I believe it was created for GIMP.

i know that ascension did one, which i looked at, and helped me figure out some stuff, but the rest i have to figure out myself unless i can find the tutlet your referring to

bryguy
08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Okay figured out how to make a pretty good volcano

ravells
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Very fine volcano indeed! Shouldn't the lava flows branch a bit? I'm not sure, I'm no expert.

Redrobes
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I know we go on about rivers not branching but they do when the sediment is very high. Well the same happens with volcanoes since the liquid is like sediment in that once it cools it prevents the flow from continuing and the flow moves left or right like a river snakes across flat lands. Except with water, generally all of it moves in the same direction but if the lava is thick then it divides around obstacles.

I have a movie here (http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/Redrobes/Forum/VolcanoAnim1/Volcano1.avi) which I did. You will have to ignore the big spike in the middle which is a shoot of lava erupting. This is because I was running the sim with a lot of lava so as to speed up the calculations.

Some lava is thinner than others depending on heat and its makeup. Its the thicker stuff that moves around more. So I believe that lava flows generally do fork but I haven't done a lot of background on it and by no means an expert.

ravells
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Now that is a supercool (or is that superhot?) bit of modelling!

Ascension
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
The only thing that I really notice is that lava should be hottest the closer it is to the vent. So the way I do my colors from hottest to coolest is yellow-orange-red-brown-black. This way, the yellow is by the vent and the black is further out. Of course this doesn't always hold true for some of that lava that kind of boils down the side of a hill where it pushes open the leading edge to spill out with more heat. This creates a lava tube so the ends of the lava tube might have some orange. The colors are good, I just think they're backwards...but that's just me. Keep up the good work.

bryguy
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
> Ravells

Yea it probably needs to branch a little bit, but I was running short on time when I made the rivers

> RedRobes

I cant see the movie for some reason

> Ascension

Yea your probably correct. I could probably make a gradient for that, but then it doesnt blend well with the lava at the top. Ill have to experiment tho

Redrobes
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
> RedRobes

I cant see the movie for some reason
Right click and save it to disk and download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/). I expect that I used the XviD (http://www.xvid.org/) codec so if you really don't want to change player then at least get that codec - its brilliant and worth getting anyway - well so is VLC too. Latter (>=XP) versions of MediaPlayer should play it but you know what M$ are like for sticking to standards...

bryguy
08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Right click and save it to disk and download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/). I expect that I used the XviD (http://www.xvid.org/) codec so if you really don't want to change player then at least get that codec - its brilliant and worth getting anyway - well so is VLC too. Latter (>=XP) versions of MediaPlayer should play it but you know what M$ are like for sticking to standards...

im sorry i left some details out...

i cant see it because i need more things for quicktime that cost money that i dont have. Could you maybe somehow upload the movie to youtube?

RobA
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
im sorry i left some details out...

i cant see it because i need more things for quicktime that cost money that i dont have. Could you maybe somehow upload the movie to youtube?

VLC (as Redrobes provided a link to) is a free video viewer. No need for quicktime $$

-Rob A>

bryguy
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
VLC (as Redrobes provided a link to) is a free video viewer. No need for quicktime $$

-Rob A>

yea but whenever i click the link it says the quicktime needs something more for it and it wont show it until i get it

Redrobes
08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I treat Quicktime as a virus - no seriously. That and real player get the chop as soon as I get a new PC loaded with that stuff. If you save the AVI file to disk. Run VLC. Go file open and load it up it ought to play it ok. If your on a Mac then I am not so sure what is the standard way to do it or whether VLC has a port for Mac but for Windows I always use VLC for everything. Theres a few others supposed to be good but QT, RealPlayer and MediaPlayer get booted or barred from playing anything. I used to use MediaPlayer until one day I downloaded a movie, played it and it opened IE and a web page half way through with adverts on it - eugh ??? I thought. Close that try again - same point same page. Now cmon, that page could be stuffed with nasties. It made playing a movie as dangerous as going to an unknown web page. Last time it got used I think - several years ago that was too. On a similar story I load in Windows from cold. Get minimal internet going, run IE, download Firefox and never again does IE get to see the light of day. Oh and I have recently dumped Adobe Acrobat now too in favour of FoxIt as thats another broken program i.m.o.

Bit of a rant there but VLC is free, no cost, plays just about everything. Its the de facto video playback in the open source community.

The problem that you have is that you have AVI file type set to open with QT. You ought to be able to change that but just for now, drag the avi into VLC window and it should open and play it.

bryguy
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Heres an updated version of the tutorial. I edited stuff, added stuff, and removed stuff. Hopefully it should be better now :)

melchior
10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Tried following the tutorial. Some things made more sense the second or third try. However, here is my result. I didn't do clouds or rivers. I may add them later.

The only thing I dislike is that the continent gradient had a very dark color in the middle, which makes some of the land look plain black. I will have to fiddle with the gradient.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome, as this is honestly the first time I have ever made a map using any software(or pen and paper for that matter)

bryguy
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
That looks really good for the first time :)

If you dont like the dark color for the gradient, then you can try using a lighter color (or colors of your choice) for the gradient. I just gave the gradient color that I used.

But that looks great dude :)

Steel General
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Very nice, especially for your first attempt.

Ascension
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Your first go certainly turned out better than my first go at this style. Looks very true to what some of us here do except for the dark ring in the ocean that surrounds the landmasses. What I would do is to darken up those lighter areas of the ocean to match that dark ring...but leave the surf areas since you pretty much nailed those. Nice job.

bryguy
10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
oh hey, melchior, just wondering, but would you mind telling me which parts of the tutorial were hard to understand and such? that would allow me to go back and simplify those parts

Note: i posted this, but went back to edit it and accidentally deleted it :o :roll: :?

melchior
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
The Amusing part is going back over other times, I got confused on different parts, LOL.

In the steps I would start out by saying you are going to create x layers. Then when you say create a layer, name it something specific. The user can change the name, but it makes it easier for them to reference which layer you are making changes too.

At the end of each section, or couple of sections you should list the order the layers should be in, and which ones are hidden etc. There were a couple of times where I couldn't figure out the order from the text and had to move things around until I found what worked.

At the end of the whole tutorial list all the layers, the orders, hidden or unhidden with references to the page where you discussed those layers. I know it is a pain, but it would help immensely. There tend to be a lot of layers and it's very confusing.

Midgardsormr
10-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Those are some good suggestions, and I'd bet they'd be helpful in other tutorials, also. Be thou repped.

bryguy
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
The Amusing part is going back over other times, I got confused on different parts, LOL.

In the steps I would start out by saying you are going to create x layers. Then when you say create a layer, name it something specific. The user can change the name, but it makes it easier for them to reference which layer you are making changes too.

At the end of each section, or couple of sections you should list the order the layers should be in, and which ones are hidden etc. There were a couple of times where I couldn't figure out the order from the text and had to move things around until I found what worked.

At the end of the whole tutorial list all the layers, the orders, hidden or unhidden with references to the page where you discussed those layers. I know it is a pain, but it would help immensely. There tend to be a lot of layers and it's very confusing.

I can do that :)

And I could also go ahead and list the layer modes next to the layers so that you know if you have them in the right mode or not :)