PDA

View Full Version : Seagaard - Yup, yet another city :)

Steel General
08-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I was re-reading A Song of Ice & Fire and was at the part where Arya reaches Braavos, the description got my 'creative juices' going so I decided to put my own spin on it.

OK, this is the very early stages, all thats really done is the ocean and the land masses. The land masses were created using RobA's "Not So Random Coastlines" tutorial (only I did it in Photoshop).

As always C&C is welcomed.

See later posts for updated images

jfrazierjr
08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I was re-reading A Song of Ice & Fire and was at the part where Arya reaches Braavos, the description got my 'creative juices' going so I decided to put my own spin on it.

OK, this is the very early stages, all thats really done is the ocean and the land masses. The land masses were created using RobA's "Not So Random Coastlines" tutorial (only I did it in Photoshop).

As always C&C is welcomed.

I LOVE your water... you make really nice water and coastline effects...
What's the scale? While I love the texture on your mountains, I am not convinced due to the fairly "rocky" flat spots.... This may just be my mind or they may not even be mountains at all....don't know....

Steel General
08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Joe...

No big trick to the water, a couple of textures (one from Spiral graphics which I've used several times, and one from CG textures) and colors from the city palette in RobA's tutorial. If you look closely at the 'breakers' you may see some of the tile lines, I tried to hide them as best I could 'cause I was too lazy to make a seamless pattern from the image I used.

The scale is 1 pixel/ft. (the map is 100 pxl/inch - makes it easy for me to remember) so the islands themselves aren't all that big. SO they aren't so much as mountains as really rocky hill(s).

Ascension
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
This is some of your best stuff yet. Other than the tiling in the breakers it's pretty darn cool and captures that halfway point between real and painterly very well...probably the color scheme helps there a bit but I still love it.

Steel General
08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks... I'll try to fix that tiling, I know someone posted something about creating seamless tiles (just have to look for it).

I think I'm finally homing in on "my style". Hopefully I'll have an update to post later this evening.

Ghostman
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Water looks great, especially the coast (despite the tiling). The hills could benefit from adding little bits of greenery; their rocky barrenness contrasts rather strongly with the surrounding terrain. What puzzles me are the dark splotches on the grass. Are they a result of random noise generation or intentionally placed?

Steel General
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
What puzzles me are the dark splotches on the grass. Are they a result of random noise generation or intentionally placed?

Thanks for your comments...

The dark "splotches" are a result of me experimenting with something to show elevation. Normally I would adjust the opacity on the different levels and add a light shadow. This time I used a pillow emboss to show the changes. I was pretty happy with the results, though it doesn't work well when going from say, grass to rock.

Steel General
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
OK, here's an update, still oodles & oodles left to do...

I redid the 'breakers', I think I've managed to get rid of the tiling, or at least it's less obvious than it was.

"Seagaard has no fresh water, so it is 'pumped' from a lake on the mainland to via an aqueduct into a series of deep cisterns. From there the water is barreled and move to various parts of the city..."

As always C&C welcomed.

Tancread
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I love the water but the coast line could use a little more contrast to make the break between it and the water more defined. As always you have great color, look forward to seeing this one develop.

Ascension
08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I was wondering how this was going to be a city map. The original was looking pretty good as a regional map. With the aqueduct and boat in there I can now see it. I might reduce the opacity on your land contouring but that's just me. I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop and it has the potential to be your best yet.

Steel General
08-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Tancread/Ascension - I agree with you, the breakers and the contours need to be "turned down a bit". Sometimes you just don't see this stuff when you're working on it. It takes another set of eyes to point these things out. Keep the ideas, etc. coming!

I'm really happy with how this is coming along. Though I think the boat needs some resizing (just a little) and I need to add shadows and 'flowing' water to the aqueduct. But I'll get there.

Steel General
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
OK, here's my latest update for this...

1) Finished the aqueduct
2) Tweaked the breakers and the land contours a bit to tone them down
3) Added a bunch of storehouses, piers, bridges, houses
4) Added "Lord's Keep" - Not sure if I'm completely happy with it.
5) Added temple
6) Added major 'roads'
7) Some other minor tweaks/adjustments to various items.

RobA
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Sweet map! I first thought it was a causeway, but its not! An aqueduct - great!

Only crit is that the rocky area in the SE seems to have shadow to the left, where the docks and structures are to the right.... unless it is a pit, not a hill...

And the credit for the palette goes to Pyrandon for his city tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530)... I cribbed it from there!

-Rob A>

Steel General
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks...

The rocky area doesn't have a shadow, the 'dark areas' are where I tried using a pillow emboss to show changes in elevation, guess it doesn't quite work as good as I hoped.

...also thanks for straightening me out on the palette thing...always want to give proper credit.

Tancread
08-16-2008, 11:00 AM
The small houses look a bit like monopoly houses, if you can give them a bit of size and shape variation it might break that up a bit. Overall it looks cool.

jfrazierjr
08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Sweet map! I first thought it was a causeway, but its not! An aqueduct - great!

Yea... really nice touch... of course, there is nothing to say that the aqueduct walls could not be made large enough to host at least some human traffic. Even perhaps a double layer with traffic on one level and water on another?

Steel General
08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Here's today's (and probably the final update), I'm quite satisfied with the over all outcome.

I've added some trees, more buildings of various sizes, more roads, paths, etc.

Thanks for the additional feedback guys...

@Tancread - I see what you mean about the houses, just not sure if I want to go back and change them at this point.

Lord
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
that map looks really great. The only thing that could be improved is the color of the water, being too light. But that may just be personal preference.