PDA

View Full Version : *** May/June 2014 Challenge: MAP A PC STRONGHOLD ***

Diamond
05-20-2014, 12:09 AM
About a year ago (the first challenge I put together, I think) we had a Lite Challenge where you had to map the lair of a low-level monster, and we had some great entries. So I thought I'd revisit this idea, but change it up slightly. This time around, your challenge is to map the stronghold of a Player Character. It could be one of your own existing characters, the character of a friend/fellow gamer, or a character you've made up on the spot.

Genre doesn't matter; you could show a necromancer's tower, the sewer headquarters of a thieves' guild, a gunfighter's ranch, a cleric's temple, a Jedi sanctuary, whatever you want. Heck, if you're really ambitious, you map out a city for a PC that's become a petty tyrant or something. Be as creative as you want, but do try to personalize things a bit. The swampy temple of the leader of a cult of spider-worshipers would be fun to look at, but if you can map in some of the character's history to help tell a story, even better.

As per usual, the challenge will run until around the 14th of next month, after which there will be four days of voting. The winner gets a Silver Compass personally awarded by me. I know, I know, pretty amazing, right? :D

Please DO NOT forget to title each thread in this format: May/June 2014 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Please DO NOT forget to preface each image with this tag: ### Latest WIP ### Otherwise, the thumbnail scraper won't be able to pick up your entry, and no one will be able to see it when voting time rolls around.

Bogie
05-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Great Idea, right up my alley! Hope I can find the time to do this one.

aegean
05-24-2014, 03:40 PM
This will be my first entry - ever, which thread do I post to please? And is there any size limitations etc?

Edit - Holy crap, I joined 8 years ago - lol

- Max -
05-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Open a thread in the current lite challenge section and follow Diamond's instructions (see post above) for title and latest WIP tag.

waldronate
05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
My heart leapt a little, because there are any number of all-women's colleges out there, just ripe for the mapping. But it turns out that this is a "Player Character Stronghold" and not a "Politically Correct Stringhold"...

Diamond
05-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Well... a lot of players are characters, and one might consider a women's college a stronghold of sorts...

:D

epson
05-28-2014, 04:40 AM
No entries yet? I will try to post something, because I think the lite challenge concept is great, but it might take me some days.

Francissimo
05-28-2014, 05:01 AM
I think your last month unfinished entry would perfectly fit to this month theme. And i really wish to see the finish version of that one,)

jtougas
05-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Storytelling?? Mapping?? Oh I do wish I remembered how to do either of those things as this is most certainly up the younger and fitter versions of me's street. (Ouch that was a painful sentence.... ;) ) Now where did I leave that Wand of Time Travel that I had been saving.....

Shall Teclex
06-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm in a small dilemma, so I beg the community leaders for an advice.

I have an entry in the current May 2014 Challenge, but the voting hasn't begun yet. Being a sort of hyperactive this weeks, I would also like to make a submission for the May/June 2014 Lite Challenge; the idea is great, and the images of a map are already flashing in my mind... So, my question is: May I submit a WIP for this Lite Challenge, or should I pass it, to avoid creating confusion regarding the Guild's rules?

Thanks!

Bogie
06-01-2014, 08:32 PM
You can post in both challenges at the same time. Once you win a Gold Compass, then you can not enter any further Lite Challenges. But you are good to go until then.

Shall Teclex
06-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Ok, I got it now. Thank you!

Diamond
06-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Just a reminder, this month's challenge will end sometime this Saturday evening, most likely around 8 or 9PM Pacific time.

Meshon
06-14-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm still planning to drop in one last-minute update, so I'll hold you to that! ;)

Meshon

Diamond
06-14-2014, 10:33 PM
You are in luck! I have somewhere to be tonight, so I won't be closing things down until probably mid-morning my time tomorrow. :D

Meshon
06-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Holy macaroni! This is great news for Quinn and his Ledge and Dairy Inn!

So, thank you. :)

Meshon