PDA

View Full Version : First set of maps

J.Edward
05-29-2014, 10:28 PM
So after being on here for this long I'm finally putting up a few maps.
Most are hand drawn. The first is a rougher sketch of a region that is being done as a more finished map.
The next is a small village I did the other day called Bourmout.
The third is a building layout... less a map than a diagram.
And last is a map of a story concept region through 3 stages - pencil, flat color, and fuller color.
64561 64562 64563

There it is for now. Got quite a few other maps in the works so more should be on the way.
Let me know what you think. Cheers.

EDIT - I forgot to mention, most of these were originally drawn on a 7.5 x 10 inch moleskin sketchbook. So they started a bit small.

More of my work can be seen here - SirInkman (John Stevenson) on deviantART (http://sirinkman.deviantart.com/)
and tee designs here - SirInkman | Redbubble (http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirinkman)

Domino44
05-29-2014, 10:56 PM
It's nice to see some of your work! You are very talented and worthy of some rep. :)

Bogie
05-30-2014, 12:57 AM
I really like the Village map, Bourmout.

arsheesh
05-30-2014, 01:49 AM
Welcome back to the Guild J.Edward! And wow, these maps are just fabulous. Great sketch-work. Please feel free to post more of your work any time.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ilanthar
05-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Just excellent! I second Arsheesh, please don't hesitate to post your work, it's inspiring!

J.Edward
05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Domino, Bogie, Arsheesh and Ilanthar. I will definitely be posting more maps soon. No worries there. :) And Bogie - I am currently working on a color version of Bourmout so that should be available soon.
Also thanks Max, Lingon and Azelor for the likes.
Hopefully over this coming week I will have time to put up a few more maps. Cheers. :D

- Max -
05-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I concur with Bogie, Bormout is beautiful :)

jtougas
05-30-2014, 08:54 PM
I have the utmost respect for your talent. I love a hand drawn map. Have some rep. :)

Oktarnash
07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Hand Drawn maps are awesome, I wish i could do them, all I can do is just a map outline, and everything else I do is just the most minor lines to represent mountain, and rivers.

xpian
07-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Ah! I had seen your work on DA before. Welcome to the guild. *secret handshake*

WhatTheBlazes
07-21-2014, 06:43 AM
These are very handsome! Very cool stuff. I'm always a fan of seeing the progression of a map.

J.Edward
07-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks Max, jtougas, Oktarnash, xpian [Chris] and WTBlazes. I'm glad you all enjoyed these. I am definitely noticing a preference among people for the hand drawn maps.
I enjoy drawing those and admittedly they are easier for me than the full color ones.

If any of you read this, I am curious. I have not gotten much response here or on Deviant Art regarding my color maps. If any of you have some input or thoughts on why that is or any critique of them please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm interested on improving where I can.

Vellum
08-22-2014, 10:13 AM
J.Edward

Can you give a bit more detail on how you do the color conversion? I see where you said the pencils where in a moleskin notebook, but Bourmount appears to me to be photoshop colorized. No problem with that as it looks great, just I wish I could pull it off as well. I've got a thread on here where I tried to convert a pencil / ink sketch to ps colorized and it came out less than satisfactory to me.

Vellum

syris
08-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Exceptional work, the detail on that building layout is incredible...:o

J.Edward
08-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Hey Vellum. Bourmout is a pencil sketch that was scanned in to my computer then brought into PS for color work.
How I usually go about it goes like this. Once in PS I duplicate the pencil sketch layer. Then go to the background layer and fill with white.
Now you'll have a white background and an image layer with your pencil sketch on it. Like so.
Set the pencil sketch layer to multiply and then do your coloring on layers beneath that sketch layer. Like this.
I've said elsewhere that some pencil sketches and pen drawings work better than others when trying to color in PS. The more involved and full the pencil/ink work is usually the worse it tends to look in PS in color. It takes some work getting used to getting the right balance.

If that wasn't informative enough feel free to ask about something more specific and I'll try to answer/help if I can.

J.Edward
08-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks Syris. I assume you mean the artist cottage floorplan and sketch?
Yeah, that one was a time consuming one. Those pavers took forever. ;)

Meriba
08-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Awesome J. Edward, beautiful sketches! Though the texture of the trees' folliage seems a little bit too uniform. Perhaps a folliage more disperse would work better (inspirational example (http://comps.gograph.com/tree-top-view_gg64263774.jpg)). Of course, It's only a suggestion.

J.Edward
08-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks Meriba. Can you reference which drawing you're speaking of? Or do you mean all of them?

Meriba
08-23-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm speaking of a mixture of both styles (uniform foliage and scattered foliage). With a simple test, you'll see if putting them together works, or if it's better each style on their own.

Vellum
08-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the screenies on the Bourmout process. I'll give that a try on the Dun-Anowen sketch I'm working on atm. I did this on a trading village / outpost map last year and it was kinds of muddy lookin in my opinion. I'll go back and look at that to see how I arranged the layers. I'm Using CS3, if you're using a newer version will what you posted up work with CS3?

Vellum

J.Edward
09-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Hey Meriba, sorry for the long delay. I have messed with some more dispersed trees before. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes not. It certainly is much more time consuming to do whole forests that way. Perhaps I will revisit that style. I like the example you posted. It is nicer in full color. In B/W I don't think it would convey as well.

Vellum, I think I answered you elsewhere but if not then - yes, it should work in CS3. ;)