PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2014 Lite Challenge: A Small Castle

KenG
06-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I really wanted to get in on this but I've had no real time to speak of. Here is the WIP of the first 2 levels of a small castle. A long way to go to finish this one up and make it presentable but I though I'd put something in the thread for now.

KenG

### Latest WIP ###

KenG
06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
OK barely any progress but here are some updates to level 1

### Latest WIP ###

KenG
06-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok the bones are pretty much put together, Looks like it will be seven levels up.

Please give any feedback or suggestions.

I'll start adding interior walls and details

Thanks,

KenG

### Latest WIP ###

KenG
06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
A bit further with level 1.

Thanks for looking, and oh this is all being done in CC3.

KenG

### Latest WIP ###

KenG
06-06-2014, 09:45 PM
While level 1 contained the main public throne room,
Level 2 contains more of the regular working levels.
The Kitchen, Stewards room, Keep Guards and Servants cafeteria are located here.

### Latest WIP ###

madcowchef
06-06-2014, 11:52 PM
I somehow missed this thread. Very fun to see the steps along the way on this one. I really like the view with all the separate layers on one sheet. I like the hazy cut off on the grass in the interior much more than the sharp cut off outside the gates. The shadow on the roof of the small building on the grounds in the lower right hand corner seems inconsistent with the rest, looks like the light is coming from the right rather than the left as seen with the wall shadows. I really like the scale of the piece, not too big or too small.

Meshon
06-07-2014, 12:13 AM
This is a great map, congrats on the progress. A good contest entry and a very useful map for many people to use in games, I'm sure!

cheers,
Meshon

KenG
06-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I moved level 2 to level 3 and made the throne room bi-level Here are the first 3 levels to date.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Coming along nicely! Any chance the final maps will be larger/higher resolution so we can see more details?

KenG
06-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Bogie,

Thanks. My plan is to do that but I'm not sure how the scraper picks up multiple files or if I have to place them all in a single file which might be to big. So any helpful ideas would be great.
Ken

KenG
06-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Here is petty much the final for this, I may reformat the images onto a single page.

### Latest WIP ###

Meshon
06-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Wow! Great maps, and a lot of them! Just a couple things I spotted: the shadow on level 6 seems to have something strange going on in the bottom right corner. Also, just something you might try if you have some time, is to replace the white backgrounds on your upper floor maps with really blurry copies of the grass background you use on the other maps, to simulate distance.

This looks fantastic, all around great job.

cheers,
Meshon

Bogie
06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
The scrapper only picks up one file so you do have to "bundle".
As you did above, you can post the larger individual map files separately, without using the scrapper tag so we get to see the high res maps.
And then on the last post, upload the bundled version with the "Latest WIP" tag on it as the official entry.

KenG
06-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Last Edits on this one.

For Sale - Historic Site. Move in Condition, Excellent Views!! Harnstel Castle. Picture yourself sipping your morning coffee gazing over your battlements as the mindless hordes crash like waves on the rocks of your own genuine castle. Harnstel Castle has been a fixture in the countryside for over 200 hundred years. Never taken by frontal assault, it is solidly built stone walled keep. The outer walls are a massive 12 feet thick and run 36 feet above the ground with the gate house and 4 towers commanding all approaches from a 50 height. The keep base walls are 10 feet thick, the 7 levels of the main keep rise an impressive 100 feet, giving a lord and his lady an imposing view of the all lands that come with the deed. The Castle is completely furnished, has a deep well water supply and is well provisioned. The steward, housekeeping and grounds staff are professional and affordable. The staff has been augmented with local militia members as the castles professional soldiers were temporally conscripted by the king to deal with the northern goblin incursion. The current owner is relocating and is motivated to sell.

Edit fixed level 3 sheets.
### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Great set of maps KenG!