PDA

View Full Version : *** May 2014 Challenge Voting - Mapping Like A Monster! ***

arsheesh
06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
This month's challenge was to make a map from the perspective of a primitive monstrous society, utilizing the same sorts of tools and materials they would. The contest got off to a slow start but we got tons of entries towards the end:

April Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s) and be generous about repping the contestants. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive the highly coveted golden compass.

lostatsea
06-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Some good maps but few met the criteria of this months contest so I voted for . Rudimentary raiding map,It is both very nice looking and to me seems as though it emulated the materials and techniques available very well. Reminds me of ancient cave paintings of our own world.

Bogie
06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Should this Voting Poll be a Sticky? I didn't notice it at first. ( or I just need to find my glasses )

Great entries everyone!

Diamond
06-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I pretty much agree with lostatsea.

arsheesh
06-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Should this Voting Poll be a Sticky? I didn't notice it at first. ( or I just need to find my glasses )

Great entries everyone!

Yes, it should, and no you don't. I was in a hurry and forgot to stick it. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

EricPoehlsen
06-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Some good maps but few met the criteria of this months contest ...

I got a similar feeling. The maps I liked most:
Rudimentary Raiding Map - got my vote
We Remember - It is something that feels like being created by a mind quite different to a human mind.
Blood Reserve - It just bothers me a little, that the area of the Kevrian territory is on two sides of the river not directly connected by a bridge

Twonineone
06-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Among the maps which most respected the guidelines I prefer "Rudimentary Riding Map" and "Sahuagin Point of View". Both are really original, but imho "Sahuagin Riding Map" is even more original than "Rudimentary Riding Map". I really love both, but the idea to use a sea-monster population point of view is really interesting and funny, so my vote goes to Francissimo.

Ilanthar
06-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I voted for Foomandoonian "Rudimentary Raiding Map" which is both a good map (according to my taste) and clearly answering the challenge guidelines. I love other maps with a lot of good ideas, and I will gladly give rep (when I can...).

Meshon
06-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Definitely a great challenge for pushing ideas to the outside of the box. Though a lot of the maps could probably have been produced by non-monsters, there were some cool renderings and a lot of story/thought being put into the cartography. The two maps that really stood out to me as being made by monsters were Shall Teclex's "We Remember" and the "Tri-translated Treasure Map" by jbgibson (though you had to read the whole thread to really appreciate that one). Great works, all round!

cheers,
Meshon

jtougas
06-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Once again the level of talent and creativity displayed in this challenge was amazing. I had to vote for "We Remember" it was so evocative and truly made me feel as though I was looking at something created by a non human mind. All the entries were great and the rep swabbing will begin !! :)

Shall Teclex
06-04-2014, 08:57 PM
This challenge was such a great exercise in semiotics and creativity, congrats for the choice of the theme. I enjoyed the diversity of the entries, their originality, and artistic presentations. Although this forum is dedicated to visual arts, I have to say that I like the variety of media used for this subject (narratives, audio files, traditional wood carving).

I still don't have much rep to share, but here are some maps that made an impression on me:

Rudimentary Raiding Map – simple yet effective idea, smooth technical execution, refined aesthetics;
The Lost Coast – inventive in the aspect of map reading, but the quality of the photos doesn't promote the artwork;
The Sahuagin point of view – this one made me seasick, very expressive and alien.

fabio p
06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
I really liked the originality in the design and execution of most of the maps. Congrats to all the competitors.

Some maps are perhaps the result of too bold ideas, and the outcome is surely original and pleasant but perhaps a bit cryptic. Other less daring maps are finely executed and really pleasant to “explore” but maybe fall a bit outside of the challenge’s guidelines.

So, my vote goes to Foomandoonian’s Rudimentary Raiding Map; it’s the one that impressed me the most because of the great mix of simple yet elegant design, still strictly following the challenge’s guidelines.

Meshon
06-05-2014, 11:27 AM
The Lost Coast inventive in the aspect of map reading, but the quality of the photos doesn't promote the artwork;

This is a really good point which I admit I did not fully consider. Probably a good start would be to use a real camera instead of my phone...

Cheers!
Meshon

Sent from my LG-P970g using Tapatalk

Gamerprinter
06-05-2014, 11:36 AM
This is a really good point which I admit I did not fully consider. Probably a good start would be to use a real camera instead of my phone...

Cheers!
Meshon

Sent from my LG-P970g using Tapatalk

Use a digital scanner (even as a service from your local graphics shop) instead of a camera or camera phone for hand-created work. Really you'd need a vertical camera mount and controlled lighting at the minimum if you wanted to continue to use a camera in order to digitally capture your maps - which is a lot more expensive process than buying a letter sized flatbed scanner. I run a digital graphics studio with multiple scanning devices, as well as a camera mount, so I have the toys to make it work that many couldn't do easily. Consider that I often hand-draw the linework for maps in sizes up to 36 x 96 inches, though usually 18 x 24 inches which is digitally scanned on my 36" wide format roll top scanner.

Personally, I wouldn't use a camera phone for anything involved in cartography, as it is the worst possible means of digitally capturing art.

arsheesh
06-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Congrats to Foomandoonian for winning this month's mapping challenge, with his first ever map at the Guild no less!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
06-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Good job, dude!!!!

lostatsea
06-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Foomandoonian Con grats on a well deserved win !

Foomandoonian
06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone. Wow, thanks, I'm glad you all liked my map. I really entered on a whim just to try something new, without any expectation of winning. The quality of some of the other maps was very high (and frankly beyond me!), so I suspect the fact that mine followed the brief pretty closely helped me.

Thanks again for all the nice comments, here and on my thread. If I'm inspired by the next topic I'll try to enter again. :)

Francissimo
06-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Well done Foomandoonian, that first map was really a good entry wich perfectly fit to the spirit of this month subject with that unusual support, congrats;)

- Max -
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Well done Foomandoonian! Your map fits the theme very well :)

EDIT: I'll open the June challenge tomorrow!

Shall Teclex
06-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Foomandoonian, congratulations!

Great job on your map, hope to see some more of your works soon!

Twonineone
06-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Congratulations Fooman! :D

jtougas
06-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Congratulations on a well deserved win :)

jbgibson
06-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Nicely done, Foomandoonian - were I going raiding, that would steer me straight :-).