PDA

View Full Version : An Island for a Campaing setting

Sagenlicht
08-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Well Hello together :)

As 4e D&D came out I decided it's time for a new setting as my old one was about 10 years old. In addition I decided to try to do it not with a pencil but to give GIMP a go.

Well here is how far I got till now. It aint perfect but I hope its ok for a first try.

Gotta have some problems how to add some forests in there, tried a few options but none did please me yet. Maybe someone got a nice idea for me :)

Anyways please drop a few comments what I could improve or what ye like so far :)

Steel General
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Pretty nice start...

I would suggest you look at RobA's excellent tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142) on creating a regional map with GIMP. Its what I first started with a couple of months ago, and a great place to learn some tips and tricks that can be useful in other packages as well.

Oh...and welcome aboard!

Sagenlicht
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank you Steel General :)

Well RobA's tutorial is great, but it wont help me with the trees as I dont wanna do them 'top-down'. Planned to do them like the mountains but those are much easier to do it seems.

I couldnt find a tutorial for drawing some nice trees/forests, are there any on this site?

Steel General
08-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I couldnt find a tutorial for drawing some nice trees/forests, are there any on this site?

I'm sure there is one or two on here somewhere, don't have time to look at the moment, but check the tutorial section again (if you haven't already).

RobA
08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you Steel General :)

Well RobA's tutorial is great, but it wont help me with the trees as I dont wanna do them 'top-down'. Planned to do them like the mountains but those are much easier to do it seems.

The video from Butch Currie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4pDmxvnPU shows one style of forest that is quite easy to do. Don't know if that is the style you are aiming for...

-Rob A>

Sagenlicht
08-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok got some more free time to play around with some forest ideas... In addition I noticed that a green background for the landmass wont work for hand drawing elements so I changed it.

So what you think about the forest? Does it fit?

Did add roads and a compass rose as well and started to name a few things.

Edit: ah and yes RobA, I did see the tutorial but I am not sure if its better than my try. What do you think about it?

ravells
08-24-2008, 07:20 AM
I think the forests fit really well, they might look even better if you varied the colours of the trees with some reds, oranges and yellows. I really like your compass rose too.

VincentAlliath
08-24-2008, 08:41 AM
It's quite a nice map, although I'm just wondering what the town in the south is called...
Looks like Nebelheim to me. A little similar to Nibelheim from Final Fantasy VII.
Just letting you know, just in case there is someone who dares to accuse you. (I'm not).
It's a very nice map though.

jfrazierjr
08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I think the forests fit really well, they might look even better if you varied the colours of the trees with some reds, oranges and yellows. I really like your compass rose too.

If using GIMP or Photoshop, I would probably go with a bit of burn and dodge myself to get some slight variation on each tree. Not doing the full tree, just like a splattering of burn/dodge on each. Alternately, since you shaded the mountains from the west.....

RobA
08-24-2008, 02:37 PM
There is a small river violation in the NW. The lake there has two outlets to the ocean.

Other than that, nice map (though a little small...)

-Rob A>

Sagenlicht
08-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Hmm thats a pretty nice idea, I'll give it a try.

It's quite a nice map, although I'm just wondering what the town in the south is called...
Looks like Nebelheim to me. A little similar to Nibelheim from Final Fantasy VII.
Just letting you know, just in case there is someone who dares to accuse you. (I'm not).
Yep it's called Nebelheim, though there is no connection to Nibelheim in any way. The map is labeld in German and Nebelheim means something like Misttown if you would try to translate it.1

If using GIMP or Photoshop, I would probably go with a bit of burn and dodge myself to get some slight variation on each tree. Not doing the full tree, just like a splattering of burn/dodge on each. Alternately, since you shaded the mountains from the west.....
Hmm I tried to bring in some variations by drawing them, I agree I should shade them.

There is a small river violation in the NW. The lake there has two outlets to the ocean.

Other than that, nice map (though a little small...)

-Rob A>
Oh... I thought this would be ok. Is it impossible for a lake to have two outgoing rivers? If yes I'll change it, sure.

About the size hmm, it's just an island but sure I dont have any experience with it. Maybe its to small.

RobA
08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh... I thought this would be ok. Is it impossible for a lake to have two outgoing rivers? If yes I'll change it, sure.

It can happen (depends on the scale, of course), but unless there is intervention, one of the channels will win out and become the primary channel.

-Rob A>

Karro
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
It's looking like a good start. I was going to suggest a tutorial/tool RobA put up about how to use a gradiated area to fill in random trees. I tried the tool out (for my own enjoyment) and found it produces nice results. But these look good as well, though in a somewhat different style than the tool I was going to suggest

It wouldn't be so bad, I think, considering that FFVII borrowed it's location names liberally from Norse mythology (Nibelheim comes from Niflheim, Midgaar comes from Midgard, etc.). I tend to think if you're going to do fantasy, you may as well go back to the source (i.e. Mythology).

But the OP answered to this somewhat already.

Sagenlicht
08-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, here is a small update, didnt have much time last week.

I added all forests, though I am not really satisfied with the result. I really did put some effort in the trees, tbh I spent most time of the map creation so far with the trees but in the end I couldnt come up with a nifty solution.

Anyways I dont wanna spend more time with them, so maybe I will find a better solution in my next map :)

I also added a map border and corrected the river violation.

Gonna have to add a highmoor at the NE part of the map and have to finish the labels on it. I also thought about adding town icons, but I am not sure about it. Any thoughs if town symbols would be more fitting?

Last thing to do will be adding a legend and the scale.

Thanks for all comments on my map so far :)

delgondahntelius
09-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Ok, here is a small update, didnt have much time last week.

I added all forests, though I am not really satisfied with the result. I really did put some effort in the trees, tbh I spent most time of the map creation so far with the trees but in the end I couldnt come up with a nifty solution.

Anyways I dont wanna spend more time with them, so maybe I will find a better solution in my next map :)

I also added a map border and corrected the river violation.

Gonna have to add a highmoor at the NE part of the map and have to finish the labels on it. I also thought about adding town icons, but I am not sure about it. Any thoughs if town symbols would be more fitting?

Last thing to do will be adding a legend and the scale.

Thanks for all comments on my map so far :)

You might try putting a glow around your labeling, this will make it much easier to read, especially labels that pass over other aspects of the map.

I'm a plain dot kinda guy when it comes to placing towns and cities. But I think if you wanted to place conceptual towns as symbols it would work equally well with your map.

Great job so far, keep it up :D

Sagenlicht
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Ok, found some time to work on my campaign setting. Here is a small update :)

I added more labels and added a moor to the NE.

I know that the labels are kinda hard to read, but I noticed that the map is too small for all lables... I plan to finish the labeling then rescale it and redo the labels perhaps.

Anyways I did rescale the map with its labels, so it's easier to read for now :)

delgondahntelius
09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
black city labeling is fine now, but you river labeling is hard to read... I think because its the same color as the rivers themselves... you may want to darken the blue to something more like the edges of your ocean out there... setting a darker color to glow behind the text would also help, or a shadow set at x=0, y=0 directly behind it.

It is looking good though... :D Are you doing this with a mouse or do you have a tablet?

Sagenlicht
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I've got a tablet Delgo, though I admit I am not the most talented artist out there :)

I agree I wasnt too happy with the river labels myself, I am gonna play around with it again :)