PDA

View Full Version : June 2014 Entry - The Kingdoms of Albion and Nivirem

Goombac
06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Here's the beginnings for my entry. This is an extremely rough WIP for really just the layout of the final product. I've done a bit more with the lettering, roads and cities, and it'll be updated soon.

Albion and Nivirem are my pseudo British and French empires, who do not get along.

### Latest WIP ###

xpian
06-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Wow! There's a lot going on there...I can't wait to see more. Great take on the concept. Way to run with it. And not that it matters, but if I were asked which two nations I was modeling a conflict on, I'd never say Britain and France (feels too cliché to me). I'd say Guilder and Florin!

Meshon
06-18-2014, 01:05 AM
So you've been a member for two years but your first post is to enter a challenge? You definitely get some win! And I really really like the fact that you've added some very cool stuff to the borders.

cheers,
Meshon

Goombac
06-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Here's an update. Lined the cities and almost all of the labels. Everything I added (except for the type) was done by hand. Tedious, but I think worth it. Going to line the rest of the border before I add too much color to the map.

It's pretty busy and small, so to see it all you might want to see it full view.

But yeah, I'm more of a lurker than anything, so I don't post too often, although I've been working on my own crappy maps for a couple years now. And I was going for a cliche standard Britain-France empire thing, so that's why I went with my symbols and names and stuff like that.

### Latest WIP ###

timallen
06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Oh man, I am liking this! Much better than my poor attempt.

- Max -
06-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Gorgeous stuff so far!

Goombac
06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Aww, thanks you guys.

Did the lines for the stars and the Albion knight. And the grey on the banner will be dark red in the final image.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
06-19-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm just wondering if this border won't distract too much from the map itself...

lostatsea
06-19-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm with max. I personally always have trouble balancing elements . That's why my entry doesn't have any yet.

arsheesh
06-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Looking very, very nice! May I ask which font you are using? I really like it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Goombac
06-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Latest update. Finished the lines, at least what I've got for now. And it looks really busy now, but it'll get better once I color it, since I'll be coloring some of the lines as well, so it'll blend more than just black and white.

And the font it East Anglia.

### Latest WIP ###

tainotim
06-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Love it! Good call in lowering the Albion banner slightly to remove that sudden sharp edge in the top. Been meaning to comment on it. Keep the good work up, can't wait to see where this is going! cheers :)

arsheesh
06-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Looking amazing! Oh, and wouldn't'cha know it, turns out I'd already downloaded that font and had just forgotten about it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Goombac
06-26-2014, 04:07 AM
I've begun coloring it. Very WIP with the colors especially the top of the map, although I'm pretty happy with the knight and his shield, although I still need to color the lines.

And I'm not sure what to do with the map. I started doing watercolor stuff on it, but wasn't happy, so that's going to change. Not sure how much of it I want to color. And the roads and river colors are just placeholders for now.

Goombac
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Doing the flag for Albion. Not sure what color I want the design to be. Leaning towards the darker red like I had originally planned, but not sure if the gold is better.

65250 65251

jkat718
06-26-2014, 09:40 PM
I personally prefer the red over the gold. Also, I just downloaded the font, I love it.

xpian
06-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I vote for Gold-and-Red. I find it more striking, overall.

jkat718
06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Actually, on second glance, I agree with xpian. The border is pretty dark, and the gold will help brighten them up.

Tomalak
06-28-2014, 06:53 AM
With a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws.

I think the problem with the red banner is the lack of contrast - it would be hard to make out at a distance. Have you considered lightening or altering the other color in that version, and perhaps coloring the lion to match the darker border? I think that would look pretty solid.

Meshon
06-28-2014, 05:00 PM
I love the details in the border, really brings a lot of story to the map. To be honest I don't think you need to colour it, but it's cool that you are, I think it will look great. I really like the watercolour look in the green areas. Is that a photoshop brush or something similar?

cheers,
Meshon

Goombac
06-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks, everyone. Still on the fence about the red or gold for the flag, but I'll think about changing the contrast a bit if I stick with the red. Might help when the rest of the border/map is colored to get a clearer picture.

And I want to color the actual map somewhat, I just haven't decided on how much I want to color it. And yeah, it's a photoshop technique, more than just a brush. It's here if you want to try it out yourself, although you need to download the brush as well as some other tools to get the blending effects right, it only takes a couple of minutes. Simply Messing About: It's not about the brush: Digital Watercolor in Photoshop (http://www.simplymessingabout.com/2013/04/it-not-about-brush-digital-watercolor.html)

Goombac
06-29-2014, 04:14 AM
Worked more on the border; did the stars, flowers and Albion knight. And I think I'm happy with the green background behind the flowers, although I'm going to be lightening the sky on the top in a similar way. And did a sort of compromise for now of the Albion flag with just the gold trim, since the top flag will be a golden parchment kinda color, so with the extra gold on the flag, it was too much. Still subject to change though.

### Latest WIP ###

Goombac
06-30-2014, 12:44 AM
I think I've finished coloring the border, just need to color some of the lines and of course figure out what I'm doing with the actual map.

### Latest WIP ###

Goombac
07-01-2014, 06:39 AM
I didn't realize that the deadline was so close so I just finished it, and even though this is the final product due to the restraints of what I can upload, this isn't the best quality, but I don't think it's really noticeable. I'm happy with the final result, although I think with more time and energy I could have done a bit more coloring the map and adding more to the outer border.

So here it is! I'm not sure if this is where I post the final product or not, but if not please tell me. Thanks, this was a fun challenge to start out with.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
You posted it in the right place :)