PDA

View Full Version : Map contest from Gollancz for the new R. Morgan Novel

Eilathen
08-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi fellow mappers,

I thought this might interest some of you

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/custom-list.aspx?file=morgan_comp

It would be cool if you would post in here if you participate, so that we know if some CG folks are "fighting" for the price (so that we can keep our fingers crossed :D )

Cheers
Eilathen

Gamerprinter
08-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Impossible qualifications for me... :(

I don't have the book, so unless I purchase it, I have no idea what I'd do...

Plus I don't see myself moving to the UK, before the end of the year - contest is open to UK residents only.

Perhaps Ravs or RedRobes could give it try, they already qualify on the latter.

GP

ravells
08-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the pointer, Eilathan, I'm definitely going to try for this. The funny thing is that I really like Richard Morgan's books (he usually writes Future Noir SF, so fantasy is a departure), and I've also stayed at the hotel which they are billing as the prize. It's lovely and they are 'dog friendly'. I'd love to meet Richard Morgan, so this looks like a fun entry! Oddly enough I was in a bookshop last week and saw this book on the shelf and was toying with the idea of buying it (but I didn't in the end)...I will now!

Cheers

Ravs

Redrobes
08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh thats good. I haven't read one of his books and I am really busy right now. Go win that prize Ravs !

ravells
08-19-2008, 04:53 AM
I've got the book and am reading it now. It's pretty good.

Eilathen
08-19-2008, 05:48 AM
I've got the book and am reading it now. It's pretty good.

Yep, I like it as well. It's grim and gritty.

And i really do hate the fact, that there is no map in there ... so go ravells and show them how it's done :D

ravells
08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Heh.....For the Guild!!!

ravells
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, I've put in my entry which is below....man I hope I win this just so I can have a chat with Richard Morgan himself...I love his books. I was at the point of scrapping the map and starting afresh but I had run out of time and fiddling with it just made it worse. There was a 1 MB limit which kind of killed the resolution a bit.

Edit: Future editions of the map on this thread. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4741&highlight=steel+remains)

Redrobes
12-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Well, if it doesn't win you should point us to the winning entry cos it had better be good to beat this. Good luck.

Steel General
12-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Very nice Ravs... and good luck!

ravells
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
you guys are too kind.

markusw7
12-06-2008, 07:16 PM
is there any particular reason the British isles are in that map?

ravells
12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
It's in the explanatory notes (not shown) - just a visual idea of comparative scale.

Gandwarf
12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Man, this map is awesome! This is some quality, professional work. Repped.

Ascension
12-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Very nice Ravs, love the color scheme.

torstan
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
This is a really lovely map. You certainly deserve good things to come from it.

ravells
12-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, it's a funny thing but when I look at my own stuff, i don't think it holds a candle to the kinds of maps that say, Torstan and Ascension produce (amongst many others). I guess we're always our own worst critics!

torstan
12-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, I guess it's a question of styles. I can't put together a map in your style or Ascensions or many others that is half as good as what you have achieved here. I really need to take a shot at these textured maps because the look really lovely. I have to say that your mountains are certainly noteworthy - given the amount of discussion they tend to attract you seemed to have really nailed them here.

Ascension
12-07-2008, 11:58 PM
It's a matter of aesthetics (beauty), information (detail), and cleanliness (legibility) that I can never fully achieve. You have got all three working on this one and that's what makes it superb. I tried to rep ya but I gotta spread some around. Hope ya do more like this.

Steel General
12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
It's a matter of aesthetics (beauty), information (detail), and cleanliness (legibility) that I can never fully achieve.

Don't sell yourself short, I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Eilathen
01-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Now, i wanted to look up my thread and ask for your map, ravs...and here it is already ^^
Great map, i really hope you win this! And thanks for the map, now I have one when i continue the book ;) (did i mention that i hate it when books feature no map?! >:) ;) )

I remember a discussion on here about books and maps and the quality of the maps in fantasy books...then i saw this contest in a Gollancz Newsletter...this was the reason for this thread in the first place...so again, good luck for you, ravs *keeping my fingers crossed*

As a sidenote...i hope they will put up some of the map-entries on a site somewhere...i'd be really interested to see how readers interpreted the world...i'm sure it'd be an interesting endeavour.

ravells
01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Cheers Eilathan - nothing heard from the publishers - looks like someone else has won it. :(

I would love to see all the entries too.

ravells
02-05-2009, 12:12 PM
OMG!!!!!

I WON!!!

Just got the email from the publishers today!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!

I'm so happy and excited!!!!!

How much good news can a chap take?

jfrazierjr
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
OMG!!!!!

I WON!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Congratulations!!!

torstan
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
That's fantastic! Well done Ravells - and you certainly deserve a little rep for such a glorious achievement!

Hoel
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Congratulations!
Nice to see a member getting due rewards

ravells
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Guys!!! I was so sure that someone else had won it when I didn't hear anything.

Steel General
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Congrats Ravs! Two great pieces of news in the same week - you're on a roll!

Redrobes
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Congrats and Congrats Ravs

Was there a link to a page on entries. Oh and let us know how the trip goes - photos etc.

Right guys - all hands to the ICE challenge ;)

Ascension
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Awesome, way to go Rav Man! I think we're all happy for you...we're gonna rule the world now muhahahahahhaaaa.

ravells
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Cheers guys, I'll definitely take my camera!
I don't think other entries have been released, (probably means mine was the only one!). I'll report back about the trip in due course!

The Good Doctor
02-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Outstanding job and congratulations. Winning was well deserved. We expect to see pictures and you to talk about who you meet, etc. A map only benefits from having a travelogue to go with it.

Eilathen
02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
OMG!!!!!

I WON!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Heh! Wow, congrats to you, Ravs. It's well deserved and I am glad too, because it was the outcome i hoped for when i posted the thread...that a member of this community would win this :)

And we want a full feedback on the event ! :D

ravells
02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Well thank you for posting it, Eilathan! Otherwise I would have never have known about it!

Full reports will follow!

Robbie
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Dang! I just now read this, congrats Ravs!!!

ilso
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Say no to spec work. :sigh:
These 'contests' are lame and **** me off.

ravells - your map rocks!

töff
02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
OMG!!!!!

I WON!!!CONGRATS! :) Wow that's very very cool!

Ask him what "Yibbit Yitz" means.

ilso
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
And a belated Congrats on the win.

Soixante
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Congratulations, that's really great!

ravells
02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks all! :)

Still waiting for the art editor to come back to me with some dates.

ravells
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi All,

I've just come back from Glasgow having spent a stunning weekend there. My wife was too busy to go in the end so I took a friend instead (which kind of worked out much better). Glasgow is an incredibly friendly city with amazing architecture. We spent the morning wondering around the university part of town (see pics), the main building is a stunner. There's an architectural model of the main building in the university itself (pictured - worthy of a map). There is also a museum in the university so we spent the morning exploring that. Some very cool exhibits.

We met up with Richard for lunch, and spent the next few hours chatting about subjects many and varied -he's a really, really nice chap and very interesting to talk to. I've pointed him to the site, so maybe we might get an email here from Richard if he's willing. Toff, I asked about 'Yibitz Yitz' but Richard didn't recognise it.

Ascension
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Great pics ravs...always wished I could make cool models like that.

Karro
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
This whole story is pretty cool. That's awesome that you won, Ravs.

DevinNight
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
What you couldn't climb on the display case and take a picture straight down of the model.

I wish I could afford to travel, I'd love to see so many places.

Steel General
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Couple of neat pics Ravs!

My niece was just over in Europe for 10 weeks as part of her senior year in high school. If I'm not mistaken she was in Glasgow too.

acantha
07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I've found the site via Morgan's website, and this post: http://www.richardkmorgan.com/2009/07/blessed-are-mapmakers.html

Great looking map! Congrats on the win, its obviously well deserved.

ravells
07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Arcantha! I had missed Richard's post....I shall head back there and acknowledge his kindness!

All the best

Ravs.

Karro
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I've found the site via Morgan's website, and this post: http://www.richardkmorgan.com/2009/07/blessed-are-mapmakers.html

Great looking map! Congrats on the win, its obviously well deserved.

Wow. His review of Ravs is pretty much glowing!

Steel General
07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
That is quite the glowing review Ravs...congrats again!

Ascension
07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
He's got a man-crush and an altar in his closet. Kidding :) Great stuff.

ravells
07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. Felicity, my wife, put her arm around me when I was reading Richard's post and told me how proud she was and then she picked up one of the four books - destined for various victims to whom I shall send them (with the map in) and said, 'I can't believe you're actually in a book that so many people will see'. That was a lovely moment. It really makes me feel glad to be alive.

But what is also really wonderful is to have the congratulations of my peers here, on the guild from whom I've learned pretty much everything I know about cartography using the computer and generally, and it's just fantastic that we spur each other to heights we never thought we could achieve.

Sh** this is sounding like an Oscar speech but it's not meant to.

Ravs

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Have some rep, you are doing all of us proud :)
Would love to see a picture of the map in the book by the way.

ravells
07-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Go buy the book! It's a great read!

Or...you could just to the bookshop and look at the map, but without the story the map is nothing.

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Go buy the book! It's a great read!

Or...you could just to the bookshop and look at the map, but without the story the map is nothing.

I am afraid not many bookstores will carry that particular book over here.
It's fantasy and it's in English...

ravells
07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
PM me your home address and I'll post you one, Ganwarf!

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your (much too) kind offer, but I don't want to be a freeloader Ravells.

It's really not necessary as I can acquire the book over the internet, where I buy all my English fantasy (I never read Dutch translations) :)

What particular version of the book do I have to look for anyway? This one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Remains-Gollancz-Richard-Morgan/dp/0575084812/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247874992&sr=8-3

ravells
07-18-2009, 03:21 AM
That's the one.

Robbie
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I looked at B&N here, and didn't see any maps in the book at all. :((

ravells
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Wrong edition, it's the pocket paperback with a blue cover with a sword on it.

Steel General
07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Ravs, will it be included in any hard cover releases? I rarely buy paperbacks anymore...

ravells
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Probably the hardcover of the next book....although my guess is that is about a year away (don't know how fast Richard writes).

Ramah
07-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey there,

I was just doing the rounds of checking out the blogs of authors I follow and saw Richard Morgan's post about your map Ravs. Congratulations dude, it must be a great feeling to have something you created gracing the pages of such a great author's work. :)

I already have the book in the large edition paperback but I might just have to buy it again now.

Now go make another one for The Dark Commands. :)

ravells
07-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks Ramah....yes it's a real blast for me.

I think (not sure) that the same one will be used in the Dark Commands although it's hard to say as he hasn't written it yet!