PDA

View Full Version : Online Book: The Division of Territory in Society

RobA
08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Interesting (very deep) mathematical analysis of societal density/distributions and changes.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Book/contents.html

It gives a lot of real world examples that might be useful to map constructed words. Much of the math is quite high level.

I found the development of city (governmental) locations interesting as it seems the same as a vonoroi development.

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
08-17-2008, 01:54 PM
OK, I've downloaded it, but it appears to "way over my head", as I am no mathematician, but it is on topics very interesting to me, so I'll do my best to wade through it, though I'm not hopeful... :?:

GP

Valarian
08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I think I can put the reasons for population density in any region very simply, without having to resort to a lot of maths. Food ... and the availability thereof.

The more food available in a region, the higher the population density.
If food available is greater than the population needs, population increase occurs.
If food available is less than the population needs, population decrease occurs.

People are made of food ... if the food is there, the people will be.

Patrakis
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Valaarian, i think you played a bit too much at Civilisation 4 ! :) JK

Valarian
08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Gods, not played Civilisation since the original ...
Fact of life, food makes people. Without food, population decreases.
It's true of any species, why should humans be any different?

ravells
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Fresh water, I guess is pretty important too. Sanitation (so disease doesn't catch hold) is also important. Employment was also responsible for much urbanisation.

Steel General
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
and here I had thought all along it was directly related to the availability of deep fried hostess twinkies...

Sorry guys couldn't resist :D

*Please return to your regularly scheduled thread*

waldronate
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I found the development of city (governmental) locations interesting as it seems the same as a vonoroi development.

A Voronoi diagram shows which parts of a plane are closest to a point (all points within a polygon are closer to the polygon control point than to any other). As such you would expect it to appear in areas where one point is exerting control.

The Delaunay diagram is closely related and will generally show road candidates.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/chew/Delaunay.html is a fun toy for playing with Voronoi and Delaunay diagrams for those who are unfamiliar with the concepts.

Redrobes
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
If you have been watching the Olympics then the swimming pool roof looks a lot like a nice example of a voronoi mesh.

Ok, well I thought so anyway, incorrigible geek that I am :D

Edit -- Piccy !

http://z.about.com/d/swimming/1/0/4/A/pool_ready_for_swimmers_beijing79285667.jpg
http://beijingolympic2008.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/0124061450085.jpg

waldronate
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I was telling my wife a little white lie that the ceiling was done that way to avoid aliasing artifacts on the video. While it does reduce the artifacts, the big separators did much more for that purpose than just the shape.

Redrobes
08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I thought my wife was pretty nerdy but I don't think it would extend to understanding aliasing effects on voronoi patterns :D You must have some interesting discussions.

From looking at the web for pics I came across some text which I think explains it. The text said that it was modeled on bubbles which forms natural voronoi patterns. I knew about the bubbles bit but never made that connection in my head. I just thought the building looked fabulous !

Incidentally I saw on telly a little model of the UK made out of two plates of perspex or something like that with pins where big cities were and you could dip it in bubble liquid and it made an almost perfect representation of the motorway road network of the UK out of the bubble interfaces. Perhaps I am easily pleased !

waldronate
08-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Incidentally I saw on telly a little model of the UK made out of two plates of perspex or something like that with pins where big cities were and you could dip it in bubble liquid and it made an almost perfect representation of the motorway road network of the UK out of the bubble interfaces. Perhaps I am easily pleased !

It's a classic technique for energy-minimization problems like the traveling salesman problem. You get myriad quantum computers working hard on the problem to provide you with a minimum-size surface in just a fraction of a second.

waldronate
08-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I thought my wife was pretty nerdy but I don't think it would extend to understanding aliasing effects on voronoi patterns :D You must have some interesting discussions.

My wife's response was to look at me as if I had sprouted a weasel from my forehead.