PDA

View Full Version : Seagaard - Finished

Steel General
08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Well after going back and forth on whether to add any more to this or no, I decided to call it finished. As always, thanks to all for their comments, praise, ideas, etc. I really am quite happy with this one.

Hinaloth
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I love this map.

Just, question, how did you did the houses? Library?

Steel General
08-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks... the houses were done using images downloaded from the Dundjinni forums with a few different pattern overlays and drop shadow applied to them. The patterns were downloaded from Spiral Graphics (http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/browse.htm). I've relied on these quite a bit in my last few maps.

Torq
08-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Great Map SG! I would love to run a game involving some sort of tactical assault on this place complete with the RPG equivalent of navy seals. Very evocative and damn cool!

Torq

Steel General
08-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Great Map SG! I would love to run a game involving some sort of tactical assault on this place complete with the RPG equivalent of navy seals. Very evocative and damn cool!

Thanks Torq... If you should run the game you described let me know how things turn out.

cklarock
08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
That is a fantastic map! What was the total time required to create it, and what software did you use? Very well done.

Steel General
08-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Thank you very much... it's all done in photoshop using downloads from various forums. I'd say there's 10-12 hours worth of work in it, not sure exactly.

A. Smith
08-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Wow. That map is GORGEOUS. I'm flabbergasted. That looks incredibly good.

Steel General
08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you very much...

torstan
08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
That's a stunner.

kpadua
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Impressive!!!! The more I view these maps, the more I want to get out my pens! Oh yea and the PC.

aiRo25
12-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I can only hope to ever be this good. This is amazing!

I can't decide whether viewing everyone's phenomenally (sp?) good maps is depressing or just totally inspiring.

waldronate
12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Map quality is directly related to motivation of the artist. Motivation leads to acquisition of tools, learning of said tools, and (by far most important) creation of many maps with said tools. As with most things in life, it's 1% tools, 9% talent, and 90% practice with meaningfuol feedback from critics on each one. Hereabouts we can help with tool recommendations and criticism, but the motivation, talent, and hard work are entirely up to you folks.

Steel General is an excellent example of motivation in action (and talent, too, of course)!

Steel General
12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank you both.

Clercon
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Very nice map. Like it a lot :-)

Ascension
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Think about how far we've come in our year here SG. It's fun to go back and look at the old stuff...even though 1 year isn't that old :)

pasis
08-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Great work SG. You have read my mind, this is just what I need in my ongoing roleplay adventure. I hope it's ok if I snatch this.

Coyotemax
08-21-2009, 02:56 AM
How the heck did this not show up on my radar?

Very nice work!!

Ascension
08-21-2009, 04:33 AM
There's a lot more to the guild than ye know ;)

Coyotemax
08-21-2009, 05:05 AM
I keep seeing that.

I spent awhile not so long ago going through the finished map section and thumbnails, I thought I'd looked at most if not all of them, so either this one went by while i was drifty sleepy or I just missed it outright.

Ahwell! the iimportant thing is that i *did* see it afterall!

Steel General
08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated...

@Ascension - Hard to believe it's been over a year already. Though I think your 'style' has progressed much further than mine. I've more or less found a comfort zone and try and stay in it. You're always out there trying something different. :)

@Coyotemax - It's really worthwhile to take some time and go thru the Finished Map and the Monthly Challenge thumbs - I try and do it every few months. Always something you've overlooked and usually I get an idea or two.

@Pasis - Snatch it up, that's why it's here.

Ascension
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
One day, around the holidays last year, I went through every single post just to see the various things. I had only been here for a about 6 months at the time and then going through everything really blew me away with how much there was that was already here. If I were to do that now, it might take me a week to do it.

Ben
12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Very nice map, one of the easiest maps to understand :) Great use of color and space.

Steel General
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks...It is one of my favorites that I've done.

Musamaps
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
WOW THATS A VERY NICE MAP! i have a question: How do you create the ships? They are epic!!!

Steel General
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks... The boats/ships and buildings were downloaded from the DunDjinni user forums... no way I could create those myself.

weasel99
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I have noticed a lot of maps of your quality/type done with PS, is it better or easier to use then CC3? I must admit I am very poor with CC3 (and not sure I would have purchased it knowing how much I suck with it) and am overwhelmed by persons such as yourself who can create such works of beauty.

Steel General
07-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words... It's difficult to compare they 2 as they are completely different kinds of programs. There are some incredibly well-done maps here that were done in CC3.

There is of course a huge cost difference Photoshop being ridiculously expensive compared to CC3. I was lucky that a friend gave me an older copy when they upgraded.

There is also the GIMP to consider. It can do almost anything that PS can do (and some things it can't), and it's free. Lots of folks here use it.

Jaxilon
07-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Great map SG - I really love the feature in the mountain. It looks like some special shrine or something.

edit: I didn't realize this was from the way back machine but I'm glad it came back because it was from before I was here I think so I would never have seen it otherwise.

Steel General
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Jax! It's one of my favorites.

barsoomcore
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
This is really one of my favourite maps of all time. Whenever I look at it, I get more ideas. Would you mind if I posted a keyed version of this on my DINO-PIRATES site (http://www.dino-pirates.com)? It'd be a perfect addition. With attribution (and link back to this thread), of course.

barsoomcore
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Steel General: Wow, what a lovely map! I hope you don't mind -- I've used it on my DINO-PIRATES OF NINJA ISLAND site:

http://dino-pirates.com/dponiwiki/Island/seagaard/

There's a link pointing to your profile here -- if you'd like it to point somewhere else, please just let me know. Likewise, if you'd rather I not use the map in this fashion (this is non-commerical, and there's attribution, so it corresponds with the CC license indicated in your sig, but of course it's up to you how you want to license this particular map), please just let me know and we can sort that out.

At any rate, it's a lovely map and it really sparked my imagination! Thank you so much!

caradoc
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Interesting aqueduct

Steel General
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
@barsoomcore - No I don't mind at all if you've posted it, and a link back to here is great.

@caradoc - thanks

arsheesh
05-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Great to see you again Steel General, I wondered what had become of you. Welcome back.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Steel General
05-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks... Work has been crazy this past year, and I'm still struggling to find my mapping mojo... but I'm going to try and be a bit more visible again.

Fury
05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm very intrigue by the layout and the setting.