PDA

View Full Version : *** June 2014 Challenge Voting - Finish it ! ***

- Max -
07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
This month's challenge was to finish a map and work with some basic material already made. The only constraint was that the contestants couldn't remove elements of the basic map but were allowed to add whatever they want on it. It looks like an inspiring idea for some fellow cartographers that did a great job on this!

June 2014 Challenge thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Vote for your favorite map(s) and be generous about repping the contestants. The voting will last for 3 days and the winner will receive the shiniest reward of the web: the golden compass!

Francissimo
07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Lots of nice entry this month! Each map has it owns strenght but i was definitly charmed by kingdom of albion borders and by the amazing shadows of ocd mountains. But will you show us your version max?

Falconius
07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Albion by Goombac for its wonderful city icons and the other beautiful touches that elevate the map, though it is a bit loud for my tastes.
OCD Mountains by Xpian for its OCD mountains duh. And also the details in the insets.

I would have also gone for Carbus' City of Fingard map because it is wonderful, but felt it fell too far out of the parameters of what I felt the contest was looking for.

- Max -
07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Come on guys, voting for yourselves? I know there isn't any rule against this but well...

But will you show us your version max?
Yes I will :)

xpian
07-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Actually, I was going to wait and see what the custom was, in terms of voting for myself. I jumped in and did it after I saw that it seemed like that was happening... :-)

Azelor
07-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Come on guys, voting for yourselves? I know there isn't any rule against this but well...

Yes I will :)

there is no rule about it but it feels wrong to me. It could be a problem in case of a tie otherwise it's fine.

gilgamec
07-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Wow! I can't remember a Challenge with so many great entries. I tried to narrow it down to three votes, but couldn't make that last painful cut ... so four it is.

Great work to all of the challengers!

Naima
07-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I voted for Gombiac entry , its very detailed , perhaps a bit too much and slightly confusing at a point , but its really nice to stare at all the details ... Only thing I would have avoided is the Albion writing that looks like an Highlighter but rest is great.

fabio p
07-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I voted for The kingdoms of Albion and Nivirem by Goombac, because this map just caught my attention with its beautiful painterly style and the baroque excessiveness of the border itís a pleasure to my eyes.
I also really like its composition, the colour choice and the idea of two rivalling kingdoms recalling England and France.

As for the other entries:

OCD Mountains by Xpian: really nice and balanced colouring, lovely icons, and great mountains addition, with a consistent level of detail. I would have added a border (Iím a border addict) but you did a superb job overall.

The corruption by Lostatsea:
Nice colouring and border, classical and interesting backstory, I probably would have worked a bit more the city icons and how they merge into the landscape. Overall a really good job.

City of Fingard by Carbus:
I love everything of this map, from the labelling to the icons, not to mention the amazing city of Fingard. I must agree with Falconius, though, I think you fell out a bit too much from the competition parameters, by focusing a bit too much on your "real" map (the city) than on the map to complete/change. However, again, an amazing job.

The borderlands by Timallen:
Simple and nice colouring and icons, but maybe, in my opinion, not perfectly fitting with the sci fi themed idea (I know, since the landing there has been a technological regress to the Middle Ages but the space child in me would have been pleased in at least one map to see some starship troopers and colonial domes icons :P ) Anyway a good job!

Tomalak and Nedís jobs were promising but donít seem to be finished. Too bad!

Freodin
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Another contest where I really truly sincerely cannot decide. ;)

Falconius
07-03-2014, 07:09 PM
there is no rule about it but it feels wrong to me.The way I view these things is more like an election or something, and quite frankly if you don't vote for yourself in an election then why should anyone else? In addition because one has the opportunity to choose multiple candidates you can also vote for other maps you like even when voting for yourself.

Tomalak
07-04-2014, 12:25 AM
In response to the unfinished look of my map: It most unfortunately is unfinished. Even some of the completed work is not posted, because my work shifts doubled and I missed the deadline. I really enjoyed this challenge though, and I had alot of fun with the map. I hope the other entrants enjoyed the special strictures and limitations as much as I did.

Diamond
07-04-2014, 02:27 AM
In addition because one has the opportunity to choose multiple candidates you can also vote for other maps you like even when voting for yourself.

That's actually a pretty good point.

fabio p
07-04-2014, 11:19 AM
That's actually a pretty good point.

My two cents on the subject: I see it very differently from an election; in a public competition (think of a sport competition like boxing or diving) usually no one can judge his performance, according to the rule that the Romans thus epitomized: “nemo judex in re sua” (roughly translated: no one can be judge of himself).
Sure, the perfect thing would be an impartial judge (or jury) and none of the competitors voting fore anyone (himself or others).
Since this community is based on shared interests, kindness and courtesy, everything is left to the good sense and fair play, and in my personal view of things, far play, at least, should discourage anyone to vote for himself (and kindness should allow to vote for the deserving others).

- Max -
07-04-2014, 11:28 AM
I totally agree with Fabio.

Diamond
07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
That too is a good point, fabio. I guess if you're voting for a politician, you're voting on the strength of what they promise to do but haven't actually done yet, while here, you're voting on what's already been accomplished.

xpian
07-04-2014, 07:27 PM
I also agree with Fabio, in the sense that it's difficult to judge oneself. I'm not sure this implies that one cannot or should not vote for one's own project, however. Imagine someone who loses the competition by one vote--he might feel a little foolish if he had not voted for himself. If that same person who lost by one vote also sees that his main competitor, the winner, actually did vote for himself, the feeling of foolishness is compounded. If, on the other hand, each competitor is assumed to cast a vote for his own project (at the minimum*), then the rest of the chips will fall where they may and no one needs to feel like they missed an opportunity. No one needs to feel they had lost due to their own good manners.

* It's my first vote and I didn't realize I could vote for more than one project. When I see radio buttons I think, "either / or, multiple choice." When I see check boxes I think, "check as many as apply." It's my mistake and I'll spread more votes around next time.

Tomalak
07-04-2014, 10:16 PM
As I cannot extend my existing thread, I'd like to ask here if anyone interested would send me any final thoughts/impression/advice on my unfinished map to my inbox, as I will attempt to polish it up after my schedule calms down.

Bogie
07-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I also agree with Fabio, in the sense that it's difficult to judge oneself. I'm not sure this implies that one cannot or should not vote for one's own project, however. Imagine someone who loses the competition by one vote--he might feel a little foolish if he had not voted for himself. If that same person who lost by one vote also sees that his main competitor, the winner, actually did vote for himself, the feeling of foolishness is compounded. If, on the other hand, each competitor is assumed to cast a vote for his own project (at the minimum*), then the rest of the chips will fall where they may and no one needs to feel like they missed an opportunity. No one needs to feel they had lost due to their own good manners.

I can see both points of view. If you feel like your map is the best then why not vote for yourself. But I also agree that it is better sportsmanship to not vote for yourself.
AND I have been on both sides of the argument. In high school ( a very long time ago ) we were voting for captain of the cross country team and I voted for myself. While the vote was secret, the coach congratulated me for wining by a Unanimous Vote. Everyone knew I voted for myself and I was very embarrassed. More recently, in one of these challenges, I lost by one vote when I voted for the person who won instead of myself. Personally, I was happier losing this way, than I would have been if I won by just my own vote.

If I were running for election to office, or if a lot of money was involved I might feel different and vote for myself, but these challenges are more about having fun and doing the best you can. Wining is nice, but certainly not that important.

Azelor
07-04-2014, 11:34 PM
The big difference between an election and these votes is the number of voters. In normal elections, at least thousands of people cast their vote. Statistically, your vote is completely worthless. It changes nothing if one person decide not to vote. (the problem comes when 40% of the people decide individually to stay at home, but that is a different issue) Yes, there is a chance that 2 candidates will receive the same number of vote but it's exceptional and a recounting usually sort things out...

But here, we normally have less than 50 people voting. Each vote have a much bigger impact on the total.

I don't think we need a rule about this, it's more a matter of ethics.

Falconius
07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Perhaps abstaining from voting if you think your works deserves a vote as much as others is then the most ethical thing to do. As in such a case where it came down to a one vote difference you would not be kicking yourself, or feeling tawdry for having won by your own vote.

- Max -
07-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Alright, this is done so congrats to Goomback for the win and to all contestants fr their entries! Goomback, will get your reward very shortly :)

P.S : As promised I also posted my own version of the finsihed map in the finished thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/27603-seldran-shire.html#post248342).

Diamond
07-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Congrats, Goombac, and awesome job everybody.

xpian
07-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Congratulations to Goombac. Thanks to everyone for a great competition, and for their idiosyncratic takes on this challenge.

Goombac
07-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks, everyone! I had a bunch on fun working on this and seeing everyone's interpretations. It was a great first experience with a challenge here, I think I'll stick around.