PDA

View Full Version : Continental Map - A Test to my Abilities

Azhel
07-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Hello fellow guild members.
After my last map, I figured I'm ambitious enough to go for a World Map.

However, for now at least, I'l stick to making a section of that world to practice my Large Scale Mapping skills. It has one of the biggest sizes I've ever worked with 9000 x 6000 with 300 DPI to make sure I get all the details in

This continent (unnamed for now) is pretty big and goes from a cold climate to a desert climate. The equatorial line goes through it and it's got 6 large countries.
The setting is a dark-ish/not-so-bright medieval fantasy.

So without further ado, here's the map's land mask!

I also made a quick Climate Zone map:

Eilathen
07-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I dig those landshapes. Looking forward to this. I hope you'll make up some history for this world as well and share it with us in here ;)

Azhel
07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
EDIT 1:
So I expanded the land mask and now I have the actual world.

And also did some experiment on plate tectonics, even tho I have no idea how it actually works. I tried going over some examples, but for this sketch I just assumed that if land goes towards land, they rise and create mountains. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

New Edit - Gonna dismiss this world map to make a new one. Larger with one big landmass is my goal.

ascanius
07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Not quite. There are two main processes that create mountains, volcanism (the majority of islands, Etna, Kilimanjaro etc), and the collision of two or more plates, usually continental crust ( Himalayas). There are a few others but for the most part don't pay a major role in the formation of mountain ranges. Hope that helps.

Azhel
07-08-2014, 07:27 PM
@ascanius - Yeah that kinda helps. I'l drop the tectonic part for now and educate myself on the subject.

Azhel
07-08-2014, 09:04 PM
EDIT 2:
Made a very rudimentary height-map with colors:

and a more detailed one with more levels:

Pixie
07-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Not that I want to push you into the nearly-bottomless pit that is tectonics. But if you start deciding altitude and then try to make it fit tectonic movements you are just creating yourself a problem. It's better to decide right now than to throw away hours of perfectly good work .

Again, not pushing into working the tectonics out, but would you give me permission to use a part of your land mask to write a little tutorial on the subject? I want to use some virgin (as in without tectonics worked out) world map and I prefer something people are actually creating.

Azhel
07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
@Pixie - I'd really love that :D you have permission to use the mask in any way you want. I can provide the layered PSD if you want (the image I put in has JPEG artifacts). I'l try to make a new tectonic model and i'd appreciate your review :)
To make sure I do it well, I'l use the real world's tectonics as a base.

Pixie
07-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks (obrigado!)

I thought you would let me, so I got started it as soon as I asked... and, as I had a little time available, it's finished and published (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/27652-using-g-plates-1-4-study-plate-movement-tectonics-con-world.html) :)
The artifacts weren't a problem, but thanks for the offer anyway.

I hope it inspires you..;) I'll be here to help if you need.

Azhel
07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Also thanks for demonstrating G-Plates, that looks super useful!

EDIT 3:
Retried some tectonic plates based on some real world examples. Still not sure it's accurate buuut it's another go at it.

Azhel
07-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Alright everyone, I'm having lots of trouble ATM.
I have absolutely no idea which style I should use. I was thinking about Sat-view, but I have no experience on it. I was hoping I could get some tips on how to achieve a look like this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/19819-torentine-satellite-image-satellite_final_clouds.jpg
Also I'm unsure on how to proceed with labeling. I've had problems with labeling in my other maps, especially regarding the markers. Should I go with elaborate or simple(if I do end up going with the sat-view)

Azhel
07-10-2014, 02:06 PM
EDIT 4:
Tried a political style map.

The North looks like that due to the fact that a boundary was established in some treaty. The red nations are foreign-ish nations, like egiptian influenced and african influence, and they don't follow Western rules. The green nations are all under one big empire. The Yellow nations are lawless pirate lands. The Purple Nation is the invading force that is trying to conquer the blue. The blue nation is the greatest nation of all, completely isolated, said to be the birthplace of the gods, It's sealed off to prevent the "impure ones" (all the other races and animals) from getting in. They are currently being invaded from the East.

Pixie
07-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Looks like you are doing it all at once... Tectonics, satellite view, polical/atlas maps... If you pull it off, it will be awesome. ;)

waldronate
07-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Some non-tectonic solutions might appear as shown below (the left one is based on the full multi-level heightmap that you posted first and the second one is just a land/sea mask and mountains mask colored with Wilbur's V2 shader). Search for "CSU Johnsondale" here at the guild for the tutorial for those kinds of landscape processing. The apparent feature scale is likely a bit off, but I didn't have a good scale to work with and wasn't sure about the projection.

65687 65690

Azhel
07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
@Pixie - I'l try my best :)

@waldronate - Thank you so much for the render and the info, it's much appreciated. I was trying to copy and paste real world heightmap "bits" here and there but it was very time consuming and the result was less-than-satisfying.

Azhel
07-20-2014, 08:04 PM
EDIT 5:
Been trying out Wilbur's erosion. Been failing and not getting what I'm looking for...

waldronate
07-20-2014, 08:54 PM
What are you looking for?

Pixie
07-21-2014, 09:24 AM
I think he isn't happy with the lack of lowlands.. but it's my guess ;)

Azhel
07-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah, i'm counting too many "rivers"? I think, because some parts of the terrain are flatter than others, some parts have more rivers than others. (EG: the Bottom Right Continent is mostly a desert, so I'm guessing not too many rivers there.
Also Wilbur kinda made some small islands disappear. I'm guessing that's normal but if there's anyway to prevent that it'd be great. I'l try to make a map with coloured parts symbolizing the type of terrain.

Naima
07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
From a previous post of Waldronate and my huge load of questions on FT I think that if you paint more dry area in the Fractal terrain , it will have less precitiptaion and so less rivers in the areas .

waldronate
07-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah, i'm counting too many "rivers"? I think, because some parts of the terrain are flatter than others, some parts have more rivers than others. (EG: the Bottom Right Continent is mostly a desert, so I'm guessing not too many rivers there.
Also Wilbur kinda made some small islands disappear. I'm guessing that's normal but if there's anyway to prevent that it'd be great. I'l try to make a map with coloured parts symbolizing the type of terrain.

One good way to prevent loss of smaller items is to load a land/sea mask as a selection and erode into that. Also, don't set your sea level particularly low relative to the coast (if the coast is 0, consider -1 for the ocean areas). Finally, do a height clip of 0.1 to a 10000000 or so to enforce the original shorelines. I also recommend starting with the lowlands fairly low to avoid the large amount of downcutting that you're seeing.

Azhel
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
@Naima - Never really worked with FT, I use Photoshop for all my cartography (Al tho I am curious about it, I've seen some fantastic maps)

Azhel
07-23-2014, 08:55 PM

I guess this is a bit better? Height map with an assigned gradient map.
Used Wilbur for overall erosion and then handmade the grays with a brush

Azhel
08-01-2014, 05:21 PM
New stuff :D
Made 4 map markers. A capital, an important city, and a town. Also I made a tower that I might use for a keep or watchtower (not sure yet)

Azhel
08-02-2014, 05:48 PM
EDIT!

I've got a test map. I'm testing the style to use for the final map. Here's the test: