PDA

View Full Version : ola!

brazenskies
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi,

Im Greg.

I'm currently employed as web developer at Lovell johns, an Oxford,UK based cartographers.

I mainly develop content managements systems and ecommerce websites for them but I'm now beginning to learn more about the cartographic side of things.

I recently started learning about mapServer, arcGIS and spatial databases so I can start to develop map based web applications. On top of this I am also a graphic designer.

I am mainly interested in digital mapping but I find classic cartography fascinating!

Anyway, enough about boring old me,

Hello All!

ravells
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Brazenskies and welcome to the Guild. As you can probably tell we don't really do accurate 'real world' mapping at the Guild, it's more fantasy and SF related. If you're after 'serious cartographers' then if you have not found it already, check out www.cartotalk.com which is really friendly.

It would however be nice if we branched more into real world historical mapping - is that what you meant by 'classic cartography'?

best

Ravs

brazenskies
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I just realised that after having more of a look around. I came across the site when I was looking for historical mapping.

I'll check out the CartoTalk forums, thanks!

You're probably not interested but here's a sample of some historical mapping I have worked on...

http://www.mapsinternational.co.uk/readonly/products_images/2077509_3.jpg
http://www.mapsinternational.co.uk/readonly/products_images/2077509_2.jpg

Anyway, once again thanks again for the welcome and I'll head over to cartoTalk!

NeonKnight
08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, Welcome to the Guild. Stop by any time!

Steel General
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard!

Ascension
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Au contraire, we are all very interested in real world mapping, it's just that most of us don't know a darn thing about it because it seems so daunting to get into...so we just make stuff up :) I particularly like city and town layouts so that I know how to place my buildings and such. Welcome and please share your knowledge and critiques so that we can all better our skills of "making stuff up" seem more real and plausible.