PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Heldarken(World for DnD)

Oktarnash
07-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Hello and here is my first map in of what I hope will be many.
that Is my first attempt at making a map using any kind of software, I decided on using Autorealm, Although I have reached an impass, on how I will colour it, I think I might use Gimp, which i have used before a tad bit.
I wonder if it is better to do Mountains by hand or just using Icons, I might try my hand first :P

Oktarnash
07-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Just found out I can just do the mountains in Gimp, and add them as a brush, I think I will do that, don't particularly like the mountains in autorealm.

TimPaul
07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Just found out I can just do the mountains in Gimp, and add them as a brush, I think I will do that, don't particularly like the mountains in autorealm.

DRAW EACH MOUNTAIN BY HAND! kidding.

xpian
07-22-2014, 12:35 PM
What's wrong with drawing each mountain by hand?

Chashio
07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
What's wrong with drawing each mountain by hand?

Not a thing... but it helps if you enjoy doing it and fits in better if you intend to make the rest of the map hand-drawn as well.

TimPaul
07-22-2014, 08:49 PM
He said he was going to use a brush to add the mountains, you know, so he doesn't have to draw each mountain by hand.

I was just making a joke, since I tend to draw everything by hand.

Oktarnash
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
I would love to draw it by hand but I suck at that XD.

TimPaul
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I would love to draw it by hand but I suck at that XD.

Sucking at something is the first step to being kind of good at something.

Oktarnash
07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Having some issues, don't know how to make the ocean, with actual dept.
And also don't know how to make continents with seperate land, like top side grass botom desert, oh well back down to the tutorials i go.

Oktarnash
07-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Ugh all of this is kinda overwelming X_X

Chashio
07-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Ugh all of this is kinda overwelming X_X

Oh, don't say that. We'll help. :) Do you have any examples of what you want your finished map to look like?

Oktarnash
07-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Welp I am most likely going to do that now ^^

Oktarnash
07-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Just wanna get a lighter colour on the shores, and a deper color in the open seas to give a look like it increases in depth.

Chashio
07-26-2014, 01:05 PM
... and a deper color in the open seas to give a look like it increases in depth.

One way to do this is with a layer mask technique. Here's a tutorial for how to set up and manipulate layer masks in GIMP: GIMP - Layer Masks (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/) If you scroll down a ways you'll see a picture with a face being covered in blue by stages. That's the general idea of where this goes... but not quite how we'll get there.
Fill a new layer with your water color and give it a white layer mask. Because it's full opacity, turn the layer opacity down in the layer panel so you can see through it and know where your land is. Now... Instead of using the rectangular select tool and the fill bucket with shades of grey, use the freehand select tool (the lasso) and a large round brush colored black with opacity set between 10-50% (if you want more levels of depth changes, use less opacity, if fewer, use more). To begin, select the shallow water including your land masses (make sure the tool mode is set to add to selection, and if you want softer edges, turn on feather edges); use your brush to make one pass over all of your selection. Use the select tool to to grab the next level of depth (adding to what you previously selected) and make another pass with your brush tool. Repeat this as many times as you want. Finally, deselect everything and use the fuzzy select tool (have to be on your map layer) to grab your landmasses, and (on the water layer mask) fill that selection with 100% black. Note: the lake in my example was not selected in this stage, so it got to stay wet. Deselect everything and set the layer mode to whatever you want (mine is set to Multiply).

Screenshot Animation

Example of Feathered Edges

Oktarnash
07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
One way to do this is with a layer mask technique. Here's a tutorial for how to set up and manipulate layer masks in GIMP: GIMP - Layer Masks (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/) If you scroll down a ways you'll see a picture with a face being covered in blue by stages. That's the general idea of where this goes... but not quite how we'll get there.
Fill a new layer with your water color and give it a white layer mask. Because it's full opacity, turn the layer opacity down in the layer panel so you can see through it and know where your land is. Now... Instead of using the rectangular select tool and the fill bucket with shades of grey, use the freehand select tool (the lasso) and a large round brush colored black with opacity set between 10-50% (if you want more levels of depth changes, use less opacity, if fewer, use more). To begin, select the shallow water including your land masses (make sure the tool mode is set to add to selection, and if you want softer edges, turn on feather edges); use your brush to make one pass over all of your selection. Use the select tool to to grab the next level of depth (adding to what you previously selected) and make another pass with your brush tool. Repeat this as many times as you want. Finally, deselect everything and use the fuzzy select tool (have to be on your map layer) to grab your landmasses, and (on the water layer mask) fill that selection with 100% black. Note: the lake in my example was not selected in this stage, so it got to stay wet. Deselect everything and set the layer mode to whatever you want (mine is set to Multiply).

Thanks Gonna try this tomorrow ^^.
although I think im gonna try and do some side hand drawn stuff :D

Oktarnash
07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I might have gotten deviated with nation design right now so im gonna take a break from the mapping ^^, might try it hand drawn when i have time though.
Might Mean I redraw the map :|