PDA

View Full Version : Need help with beautifying buildings

Vernon
08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
I have this map of a small village in my campaign. At this scale, though, the buildings just look really fake. Any suggestions on what to add or change?

Comments on the rest of the piece welcome also. I think I may need to change my tree style, too, because of the scale.

Pank.HQ
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Hmm. Good start; the grass texture is quite good, but you're right in that the buildings do seem flat-out fake.

Lose the blur/glow on the buildings, and try to balance your colours/levels (the buildings have such bright colours - same with the river!) Also, should the road be thicker than entire buildings? And why don't the homes have yards/gardens/paths up to them?

Hope that helps at all.
PS - I'm not sure if the green bumpy texture is supposed to be trees, jungle, overgrown shrubs and grasses, rolling hills, or forested mountains.

landorl
08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Also, the roads don't go anywhere. Does anyone ever travel to and from this village? At the very least they should connect the two sides of the village by either a bridge or a ford.

I do like your grass textures, and the general layout though.

Vernon
08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
After trying a bunch of things I went and downloaded some premade buildings and put them in instead. I darkened the river and got rid of the bright colors on the buildings. I tried my own little mix for the trees and I think I'm happy with it... Let me know what you think.

MadLetter
08-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Where did you get the houses, please? :)

Vernon
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I got some from DM's Apprentice and some from rpgmapshare.

Steel General
08-22-2008, 04:39 PM
This is much better than your initial posting, though I am having a hard time pulling up the enlarged
version - not sure why tho...

Dundjinni forums are also an excellent resource for all kinds of buildings, etc.

Vernon
08-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks, is there anything I should change? Anything that needs work?

bryguy
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
looks great for everything but the bridge, the reason why is because the perspective of the bridge is all off. You have basically an overhead view of everything but the bridge, which you have as if your looking at it from somewhere near the side. I suggest making it an overhead view

Vernon
08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I thought it looked off, but I couldn't figure out why. I fixed that and added some labels. I think this is done...

bryguy
08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
looks much better :)

if you want i suggest adding a reflection or shadow to the bridge, but thats only if you want to :)

RobA
08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Vernon-

Could you save and upload these as either png or jpg files? Most browsers don't display bmp files inline.

Thanks,

-Rob A>

Vernon
08-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Oops, here's a jpg. I tried a reflection, too, on the bridge. Its not really noticeable, though.

Vernon
08-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I changed the border for the river. I didn't like the solid black stroke so I went back with a low opacity dry brush.

bryguy
08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
looks great :)

i now have no more complaints or ideas for it

landorl
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
This looks so much better than the first posting. This map now looks very good.

Vernon
08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Cool I guess its finished then :). Thanks for the help everyone, I'll post it in the finished maps.

Vernon
08-27-2008, 05:14 PM
The village of Eastpoint gets hit with a blizzard. I'm trying to make the map look like so, now. Comments and suggestions...

Steel General
08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I think you did a nice job with the snow/ice, especially on the trees.

The font is still a bit hard to read though.

Vernon
08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks. Hopefully the font is better here...

mmmmmpig
09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
i would suggest taking the labels off the building and placing them to the lower right of the building. That would increase the legibility. Your town and map title is also losing some legibility due to the color shift for the winter map. (by the way, I love the winter map).

Also I would make the frozen river more white than blue and muddy-up the paths to the most frequented buildings. Have you considered adding snow to the rooftops?

Sigurd
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Really like the process to a better map.

I agree about the labels on the buildings however.

I'm a big fan of posting without labels. It makes the map a lot more flexible. A DM's map is a good idea but I don't like big labels saying 'John's House' when viewers just wouldn't know.

Sigurd