PDA

View Full Version : My first mapping project relaunched: Thylis

Kelron
08-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Folks,

it has been some time I haven`t been here. But recently I discovered my old map project on my HD, spent some time and here I am again ;)

I revised the map shape, but I`m currently wondering how to manage the mountains, forests, etc. in order to have a realistic and still fantasy world.

I want to have mountainous regions for dwarfs and dragons, forests for elves, a swamp, a desert, volcanos, farm regions, Kingdom with castles etc. What do you think of the first draft? I just roughly marked the regions without further details (for instance lakes).

I`m planning to write a novel and maybe use this map for other projects too. The contintent should be approx as large as Austrialia is and part of a world with more contintens, but I have to think about this in details later.

What would you suggest? Thanks in advance for your comments :)

Kelron
08-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Time for an update :)

I decided to go for a very basic drawing stile first to try different mountain locatios, vegetation, etc. What do you think?

* Currently the upper area shall be quite barren, but with farmland at the left before the mountainside
* The volcanic area is tropical
* The lower area provides much farmland

I`m really not sure, if the placement of the rivers or the farmland/barren/desert combo in the upper region makes sense. :|

Iggy
08-17-2014, 09:06 AM
I am no expert on the matter but you might want to rethink about your rivers. They practically never split you see, only join another. There is a good tutorial around here for proper instruction but I don't have a link right now.

Edit;
Here it is;
http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/3822-how-get-your-rivers-right-place.html

Kelron
08-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I am no expert on the matter but you might want to rethink about your rivers. They practically never split you see, only join another. There is a good tutorial around here for proper instruction but I don't have a link right now.

Edit;
Here it is;
http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/3822-how-get-your-rivers-right-place.html

Thank you very much. I tried to apply this on the existing rivers. :)

Freodin
08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Thank you very much. I tried to apply this on the existing rivers. :)

I think you might have slightly misinterpreted the informations given in the mentioned tutorial. ;)

Azelor
08-17-2014, 11:46 AM
You have a lot of deltas and they are all very large. Not all rivers will form a delta and they are not always big.
Whit the delta, the river usually splits close to the sea. River splitting inland in 2 different directions is rare (even more rare with large rivers) and do not stay that way for very long. Soon, the river will flow in only one of the 2 outlets.

Kelron
08-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate that and it will help me making the map better :)

I`ll revise the rivers in the map totally.

Azelor
08-17-2014, 12:35 PM
and something like this could give you some ideas too: Kerala backwaters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala_backwaters)

Kelron
08-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I rearranged the rivers now and got rid of the Deltas. Due this should become an overview map, I didn`t add more details to the rivers (maybe I`ll make more detailed versions though). I hope the rivers look better now. Allthough this is fantasy, it still should somehow follow common rules of the nature :)

I`m also thinking of lake areas, but I think i`ll go for that in the final version.

Kelron
08-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Time for another update :)

I started with the final version and after some tries I think I know now, which stile I want to have in the end.

There is still much work to do and some minor things will be changed (for instance the fonts) but I`d like to know, what you experts think of this. :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback, which was very helpfull so far!

Falconius
08-19-2014, 04:36 PM
You have some misalignment with the map which also causes the words to skew so it's more noticeable there. I'm not sure why it's there, like you had two halves and copied one and moved it up a smidgen or something.

I'm curious as to the terrain features, did you use a stamp from somewhere, or are they of your own creation?

Kelron
08-20-2014, 05:24 AM
You have some misalignment with the map which also causes the words to skew so it's more noticeable there. I'm not sure why it's there, like you had two halves and copied one and moved it up a smidgen or something.
The misalignments will be gone in the final version, but because this being WIP, I didn`t fix that.

I'm curious as to the terrain features, did you use a stamp from somewhere, or are they of your own creation?
I used Campaign Cartographer 3 (https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp)with the DeRust-Style (from the 2013er September Annual (http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2013/september13.html)). Unfortunately I don`t have the necessary graphical skills to create terrain of that high quality on my own.

Stephen Koch
08-20-2014, 07:08 PM
I really like the map Kelron, its very well done :). Since there has been a lot of concentration on the rivers, I like to add in a few comments on them as well.

The mountains in Sinas, and west of Isos seem to be the tallest, and each only have a two rivers flowing from them that join into a larger single river. While your much smaller mountains north of Reshtan have several rivers flowing and joining into at least 2 larger rivers. This is unusual in actual geography. Higher mountains ranges, tend to have many more rivers for a variety of reason. They either trap a lot of water in glaciers or ice caps, which feed continual streams, and creeks, or they create large rain shadows, creating downpours on the coastal side of the range, and dry arid landscapes on the continental side of the range. the Himalayas are a great example of these factors. Another factor affecting rivers is air currents. Take the Waimea Canyon in Kauai, they get at their peaks, on average, 360 days of rainfall per year, accumulating to about 600 inches of rain water per sq. inch. The tiny little island, which has relatively large peaks, has several rivers and dozens of waterfalls. So my suggestion would be to either, change the scale of the mountains north of Reshtan to make them the tallest on the island and scale down the height of the other two mentioned ranges, or to lessen the number of rivers flowing from the mountains north of Reshtan, and increase the number of rivers flowing from the mountains in Sinas and the range west of Isos. This will help give a geological rational to the layout of the map.

Also, you mentioned that this is an Australia-sized continent that is part of a larger world. I would suggest that before you draw out, in detail, the rest of the world, that you draw rough bubble shapes of continental shelves, with the continents themselves superimposed on the shelf bubbles. Then create a simple arrow diagram of continental drift, this will help you immensely in deciding where to place mountains ranges. Doing this will give you an idea as to where continents are pulling apart, and where they are crumpling together.

I hope that this helps you in your map design :D

Stephen.

syris
08-20-2014, 07:38 PM
I really like the style of the mountains you went with...not so much a fan of the way the rivers look, and I'll apologize now if this comes off as being "knit picky" but they seem kind of "smooth" as far as rivers go. And they have a sameness about them...I dunno. That being said, I like a lot more of it than I dislike...I think it has a nice overall layout, coloration, and "flow".

Kelron
08-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Thank you very much for your feedback, it`s helpfull and encouraging :)

The hints about the rivers are great, this will surely help me in making the rivers better.

I tried to get a more handrawn look, how do you like it? Next step for me is to consider how to improve the rivers, seems they are a weak point of mine :)

And no worries about being "knit picky", I asked for helpfull and honest comments :)

Kelron
09-07-2014, 04:49 AM
After my holiday I took care of the rivers again and made the mountains in Reshtan higher. I also added a little more Landmass in the upper right Region (between Krazz `Ot and Sinas) and added some more detail generally.

Are the rivers better looking now? Seems that they are truly my point of weakness :D

lostatsea
09-07-2014, 09:42 PM
It looks pretty good to me. I really like the buildings !:) I don't care for the font much though. :(Overall very nice ! Have some REP .

Kelron
09-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Thank you :)

I`ve revised the map again and fixed some problems and tried to enhance the visuals. I`ve also taken care of the rivers once more, especially the rivers in the bottom right (Reshtan) were not really visible.

updated version:

Version with political borders and sea routes: