PDA

View Full Version : August monthly vote!

NeonKnight
08-25-2008, 11:10 PM
OK, Voting time for the August Thread.

This month we had 7 really, really good entries.

And best of all, almost every single entry can be combined with each other to make some truly spectacular miniature maps for gaming goodness!

This month we have:

Gameprinter's: The Under Halls
Yu_gnomi's: Bert the Troll's Cave
Redrobes: Multiple textured paths
NeonKnight's: Neon's Dungeon Tiles
Ascension's: quick n easy dungeon tiles for minis
Lord's: The Grist
RobA's: QnD Tiles.

Please view the entries at RedRobes Thumb's: http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Aug08.htm, and PICK TWO ENTRIES

The criteria again for this month's challenge was:

* This should be a ready to use map with all the objects and tokens already in place.
* Tiles must be no larger than 8 one-inch squares by 10 one-inch squares (8.5x11 letter sheets or A4 paper) for printing purposes, and must have a grid to represent spacing/etc.
* Those that wish to, can provide the maps sans objects and tokens once they have finished, but this is not a requirement of the challenge but would be appreciated by those of us that use VTs.
* Extra consideration will be considered for those who provide an example dungeon using the tiles. Full writeup not necessary beyond notes of traps, monsters and treasures keys.

Arcana
08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Longest running no comment voting thread EVER!!!

*eyeballs NeonKnights typos*

Good thing Pyrandon's on hiatus..he'd have a cow ;)

Lord
08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
gah, i didn't know the challenge was ending do soon.. Here is the Grist all put together, in 1/4 scale. Didn't know where else to put it.

waldronate
08-26-2008, 02:05 PM
As part of my ongoing campaign to fail at reading instructions, I voted for 3 instead of 2. I need to work on looking at the text that's in bold italic capitals. Maybe if it were a different color, blinking, jumping up and down, and shouting then I might see it.

I suppose it's a good thing that they don't have the intelligence/awareness test on elections that my wife advocates because I'd never have my vote counted...

Sigurd
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
My first vote went to Redrobes especially because his thread was so clear in showing his thought\work process.

Beside the very useful tiles (there were other great tiles out there) I thought his step by step approach was very creative and useful.

Sigurd

Thanks to everyone

jfrazierjr
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I had to vote for Rob because the art was good AND he went to the effort to write the script so that everyone can do the same with a few clicks. Second vote went to GP because of the sheer coolness of the maps and all the extra work to create "new" tokens instead of just grabbing existing stuff.

Steel General
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
This was really hard, if I had some kind of die to roll, I probably would have used that.

Everyone's was good in some way, shape or form.

dorpond
08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Man, I so wish I wasn't consumed with RL or else I would be mapping with the rest of you! So much fun here for sure! :)

I was torn between RobA and GamerPrinter. While the others were fantastic too, I just love the look and feeling of their tiles the best.

RobA ended up beating GamerPrinter for one reason with me - his tiles dropped into Maptool without effort. Yeah, I know, this isn't a VT contest but let's face it, I use a VT every week during game so I want tiles that work well with it. :)

In Maptool, set the grid to 128 and start dropping in the tiles. With Snap to Grid enabled, a map can be made without in breath taking records. The grid of the tiles lines up perfectly with Maptool and so do the doors. Bravo!

RobA - you get my ultimate vote! But so does GamerPrinter since we can vote for two! :)

(These tiles are so cool that I am thinking of throwing together a video in Maptool to show them in action. I will post at CG when I get it done.)

My hats off to all of you who have entered. Great stuff!

ravells
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
As part of my ongoing campaign to fail at reading instructions, I voted for 3 instead of 2. I need to work on looking at the text that's in bold italic capitals. Maybe if it were a different color, blinking, jumping up and down, and shouting then I might see it.

I suppose it's a good thing that they don't have the intelligence/awareness test on elections that my wife advocates because I'd never have my vote counted...

Oh good, I voted one instead of two - so that's that squared then!

NeonKnight
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Arcana;

It wouldn't be me without typos ;) (Even using Firefox they still creep through)

Waldonrate:

I honestly thought of using a different color font too ;)

Redrobes
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I voted for the Grist and GM's tiles because of the work done for them and the overall result looked great. I really liked the lighting and atmosphere from the Grist tiles and GM's tokens.

I would have championed Robs too with another vote as I think the scripting approach will allow many more people to get great maps out and those who already make great maps to do it quicker and embellish it more with the time saved. Many of the maps I have done is script + tokens. I dont think its quite as good as a fully photoshop from scratch piece of art but its quick and effective.

I am also surprised anyone has voted for my effort as I didn't make a proper map out of the tiles or provide very many tokens.

The cool thing that someone has already said is that you can take all the tiles and mix-n-match them together which I think is really great. It would be interesting if anyone would make a map out of a mix of all the tiles - at least one from each person.

bryguy
08-28-2008, 08:45 AM
I voted for Gameprinters tiles, cause I liked them the most. It was a hard decisicion between his titles and The Grist tiles.

delgondahntelius
08-28-2008, 04:20 PM
This was a hard one to vote for, not because of the tough choices, which there were some, but because I was absent way too much this month, I haven't been keeping up with individual threads... and the first time I saw these threads, was today....

It looked as if a random dungeon generator exploded onto my screen. And that, friends, made it a little confusing.

My choices were: Nenknight (whoever that was?) :) YodA aka RobA and GP...

Of the three, they were the only ones that either met the requirements, or came as close to them as I could tell. GP one over my third place choice out of the rest for sheer volume (HE IS A FRIGGIN MACHINE I TELL YA!!) along with his style of map which I liked. If you people would just come to the dark side with us and use Xara, you too could pump out massive tiles in deft-defying time. They'll get it one day GP :D

yu gnomi and acensions maps looked incomplete, and if you had external links, well... I missed them, Rules Rulez.

Red Robes and Lord.... I never actually saw anything that had a completed version of the tileset together as an example dungeon, and if you did and I missed it... I apologize for being retarded and missing it. I was actually looking for something that said: This is the sample dungeon:: or something along those lines.... with a pic of completed tiles assembled for my viewing pleasure.... and this is why you fell short of my vote.... However, both had beautiful work, especially lord's floors and overall tile flavor which I really did like.... I understand it was *extra credit* ... but it was the *extra credit* that won out in this case .... of ties that is ... :)

Great work everyone! :)

Lord
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah I was unaware of the ending date of the challenge, was it posted somewhere? I had the completed dungeon all set but the thread was locked before I could upload it. If you care, its in the first page of this thread.

delgondahntelius
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I voted for three cause I'm a moron and can't read :(

--But my two picks would be Roba and Neon

GP was my third pick.. sorry GP :( ... No 9th compass from me this month... :D

mogul76
08-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Due to the high quality of the entries, it wasn't easy to pick a favourite... but my vote goes to RobA *applauds*.

/edit I didn't read properly either... hmmm... well, no 2nd pick this time ;-)

Midgardsormr
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Another tough, tough vote. NeonKnight's tiles, while they definitely look like DD3 output, are possibly the best example of that style I've seen in a while. The other vote was kind of a toss-up between Redrobes' procedurally-generated tiles and Ascension's manual ones. I dithered between those two because I want to give appreciation for the greyscale printer-friendly entries. Ultimately, I decided that the Redrobes tiles showed more polish.

I was really hoping to see more from Yu_gnomi because I liked the approach to fitting the tiles and their non-traditional shape. Plus they were greyscale. I just didn't feel that the set was quite as versatile or finished as the other two greyscale entries, though. Honorable mention.

I'd also like to take a moment to especially thank RobA for contributing that script, which will be a lasting asset to the Guild.

torstan
08-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Good work everyone - they were a storming set of entries.

alucard339
08-31-2008, 07:06 AM
You all did an excellent job. :)
I'm just sorry I miss that one too. I seem to miss a lot lately. :((
Well I guess in october I'll get more free time.

C-U-Den, :arrow:

Alu.

delgondahntelius
09-01-2008, 03:10 AM
If you find some free time, let me know where it is.... I need some of it too :D

ravells
09-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Congrats RobA! I'm glad you won as you were my second vote and I clicked th 'vote now' button by mistake after only putting in one vote, but it looks like my lack of a vote didn't affect the overall result. Congrats also to GP for a well deserved second place.

Torq
09-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I agree. Well done guys. Excellent quality, as is the norm from both of you. Well done to everyone who took part.

Torq

Arcana
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Very nicely done. I was kinda pullign for Lord because of the dark feel of it...I really like the darker dungeons style...but the people have spoken! hehehe

Good job to all entrants!

P.S. I'm not saying I didn't like the winner either...RobA knows without me telling him how useful his contributions are to the community ;) Right RobA?

Gamerprinter
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Congrats, RobA on creating a script to make us cartographers unnecessary!?
I know that its helpful, because most gamers lack the skills to map, your script lets them do it on the fly - very useful, if disconcerting to mappers.

Lord, very excellent first challenge try, I was hoping you'd get more votes, but hey, a third place on the first time out, congratulations. Don't let this stop you from entering future challenges.

Redrobes, I'm still hoping you'll win one of these challenges, someday.

Me, I'm glad I did so well. Note my real goal here was to prove how well and how fast one can create dungeon tiles using Xara Xtreme. I could have gone a number of ways to generate dungeon tiles, since I just made a tutorial prior to the start of the challenge, I thought, I better stick with my guns and rely on my tutorial to create these.

Good challenge - what's up for next month?

GP

Redrobes
09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Heh heh someday ill win !

Actually I am pleased Rob won as this month I wasn't really going all out for a win but to a) to get some scripts together for myself and b) show that you can use scripting to make maps. So Robs scripting did that job much better than I did it.

It gives me a lot of encouragement too because I usually make a scripted base and then put tokens on top. So a map win in this way can be done - I just need to get my artsy side improved.

Now that we have multi select voting I think Lord can see that his maps were well appreciated. GM, if your aim was to show how fast you can make tiles then you got a gold star there.

Rob, well done. I think your real prize will be seeing how many Gimp scripted dungeons start appearing. I expect that it will be used all over the place but hopefully there will be many posted versions around here to admire.

Is anyone going to mix-n-match all the tiles and print up an uber tiled map !
Maybe we ought to have a paper-craft challenge where you cut bits out, fold & and glue the little tabs to make 3D props for miniatures... Visions of papercraft Ravenloft-esque castles...

Edit -- oh yes, forgot to add... does anyone want those tiles I made without the grid ? If so then let me know and ill run it through again. If I do then grab the current set before I exchange the zips over.