PDA

View Full Version : My re-attempt of doing a world map

Strikebomber
08-28-2008, 12:00 AM
You probably wonder why it says re-attempt on the title thread. Well, several months ago, I've made a world map based on a video game series called "Suikoden." Anyways, I've made a fan-made map for a particular fansite. I thought it was a good map; until I found out about this site. I was blown away with all the other maps that was shown in this site. I was motivated to recreate my work. Most of my material derives from Ascension and Jezlef's world map tutorials. Both of them have influence my work. I wanted to know what you think and see which criteria to improve. It's still not done yet. But, I wanted input anyways.

ice
08-28-2008, 12:21 AM
i am curious about the light circle on the southern most continent/island seems out of place????

other than that i like it and look forward to seeing this progress

Gamerprinter
08-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Nice first post, Strikerbomber and welcome!

Overall I like the shapes of the landforms and the nice 3D mountains. Small criticism, here, the mountains in the northern continent, especially on the darker green northeastern portion there seems to be a "shine" to your mountains - it almost looks plastic. Perhaps add a bit more grain to your texture - very small criticism.

Your biggest problem are your rivers. They are doing some really unnatural things. I see a "lake" on the southern reaches of the northern continent with 3 rivers going to the sea. Only one river will flow from this lake to the sea.

River deltas defy this only due to silt deposits that forces changes in river channels. I don't see deltas in your map. You also have a river going from the sea to the sea - this would never happen.

The rivers in the southern continent are just as wacky.

As rivers flow from the mountain tops they converge to make larger rivers. Rivers sometimes form into lakes where the elevation is lower than the outflow. Once the lake fills up the lowest point on its shore will become a single river flowing out from it. Many rivers can join at a lake, but only one river empties the lake to its next destination.

I am sure you're to get a run-in with the "River Police".

Other than that (and "that" is a pretty big issue) very nice work.

GP

Redrobes
08-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Lots of goodness going on here - theres plenty to like esp the texturing. There are a number of small points that we could help improve and then the wacky rivers. Unless some global magic involved then you just couldnt get real rivers like that but we can help out there too.

Great stuff tho.

Steel General
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Great start and other then the couple of things already mentioned by GP & RR I don't really have anything else to "gripe" about :)

Ascension
08-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I think it looks pretty good and I especially like the rivers, in terms of the aesthetics not the fact that they merge and divide oddly like said above...maybe it's the shape and color, I dunno. Overall, you capture the essence of what Jez and I do but with your own style and that's a good thing so A+. Just tweak those rivers :)

RobA
09-02-2008, 10:06 AM
GP - I think I'll have to deputize you as a River Police Officer....

-Rob A>

someguy
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Cool map. I like it.

landorl
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I like the colors you use, and for the most part it is a great looking map. However, as the River Police have pointed out, you have violated the River Law, and this is an offense that will bring you 50 lashes with a wet noodle.>:)

Valarian
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
This may be picky, but as a "world map" shouldn't the landmass on the eastern edge also appear on the western side of the map?

Strikebomber
09-05-2008, 02:33 AM
I guess I should have clarified everything sooner. What I'm about to explain is going to be strange for some. First off, the map I'm making is just a recreation of a video game map. I'm very aware of the weird layout of the river on the southern and the northern continent. But, since I'm trying to be faithful to the actual map itself, it has to stay like this. I guess I can show a portion of the southern map. It's not mine; but this is the closest one I could find since I couldn't find the actual in-game map. It's on the bottom, by the way.

This may be picky, but as a "world map" shouldn't the landmass on the eastern edge also appear on the western side of the map?

No, it's not supposed to connect to the western continent. It's another land mass. I know it looks like it's connected, but it's not. The thing about this map is that, the series only show the northern and southern continent. The rest is up to interpretation. I know it's weird that I'm seriously restricting myself from doing precise details on a particular areas as opposed of doing a map from scratch. To be honest, I'm surprised how much criticism I'm getting on the rivers alone. I was expecting something else. Still, I'm glad I'm receiving constructive criticism to improve my work even further.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
To be honest, I'm surprised how much criticism I'm getting on the rivers alone. I was expecting something else. Still, I'm glad I'm receiving constructive criticism to improve my work even further.
Don't let it dissuade you from posting. The criticism is quite friendly on this board and is geared around improving people's maps. There is also a lot of positive reinforcement as well, but we don't just say we like something. If we don't like something for some reason, we'll say so and we'll include the reason why. If it's a deliberate choice (as you've done here to be faithful to an original map) then that's fine. Sometimes, the mapper will reject the reasons and just point out that it's their map. That's fair enough as well :).

Strikebomber
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, I finally have time to post my map. This time, I'm messing around with plateau. To be honest, I don't know if I'm even doing it right. Should I make the ridges much smaller to make the over-head view look a little more realistic?

DOTA_MONSTER
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
This site is pretty amazing. I stumbled upon your link looking up One Piece maps and decided to register.

I decided to look up Suikoden on a whim as I've always thought the geography of the universe is very interesting.

Awesome stuff. Looking forward to your next iteration.

nolgroth
11-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Overall, I personally like the land forms a lot. Some folks may comment on the repetitive water, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think this is a great map.

MarkusTay
11-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Aside from the River issue - which doesn't bother me so much, because they could just be channels rather then rivers - I get the feeling this is a 'polar projection'. I think it may be the icecaps on the northern contient throwing me off.

Otherwise, very pretty.

Arkkeeper
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
River Police? Theres River Police? Where can I sign up?!?? :) Rivers are one of my pet peeves, especially when it comes to things like Eragon which is a best selling book and has a HUGE River flaw in it (*stupid voice* "hu hu theres a lake on top of the mountain range and twos rivers flow out of it on opposite sides hu hu" NO... Just NO)

Anyways on to your actual piece, criticising your work here not the land since you didn't make it up yourself, I think it's really good, it has a nice realist look to it. I'm interested in seeing how it will improve, especially since it's a Fan Map.