PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Artistically Challenged!

Valarian
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Despite the possible lack of symbol originality, I'll throw my hat in to the ring. The symbols are all from Profantasy as part of Campaign Cartographer or one of the supplements (except maybe the settlement ones). This is because I can't draw. At all. Under any circumstance.

Anyway ... the entry. Continuing with the style I've been developing recently and that I used in the CWBP for the City States of Akron. It's a blend of various CC3 styles, which I think work quite well together. Working with a sense of aesthetics only here, mind. Remember, no talent is required.

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Looks like your attachment didn't make it...

Valarian
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a combination of Firefox 3 and a slow connection. I need to switch to IE7 to put the attachments in as the attachment box doesn't seem to work for me in Firefox. Bear with me while I battle the speed of my connection for a little while.

RPMiller
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Ok, let me know if there is anything we need to look at on our end. I use FF3 as well, but have a fairly fast connection.

Valarian
09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
The attachments just never seem to work for me in FF3

RPMiller
09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
That is very odd.

EDIT: You don't have your popup blocker in FF turned on do you? You might also want to check for any exceptions for the site that you might have. Also make sure your cookies are enabled for this site.

bryguy
09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
huh, i see it fine. Looks very nice in my opinion!

RPMiller
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
You were able to get the attachment added. Did you have to use IE?

ravells
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Great Start Ian! Looking forward to seeing how this comes along!

Robbie
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Firefox 3 does have some issues...I've had lots of graphical glitches lately.

Steel General
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah I've noticed that the thumbnail images seem to load much slower, and I'm on a fiber connection.

Valarian
09-03-2008, 03:32 AM
You were able to get the attachment added. Did you have to use IE?
Yeah, after half-hour of trying to get IE7 to connect to the website, read the post, edit the post, etc. This is why I tend to use FF3 when I'm on the Internet (especially when I'm using wireless). The pop-up box works by the way, I can even browse to the file, but it won't select the file name selected or upload from FF3. It may be to do with the NoScript plugin, but I do have scripts enabled for the Guild site. I don't have Google Analytics enabled, but I wouldn't imagine this would cause the issue. I may just use the Ethernet (wired) connection to upload, rather than wireless.

Back to the thread, I'll have to try and do some more tonight.

RPMiller
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
One last question Valarian, and this is also for Arcana. I've noticed that in the browse dialog for attachments that after you select the desired file it doesn't look like it put it there, but it actually does. The problem appears to be that the text in the box is the same color as the text box itself so it doesn't show up but if you click and drag to select the text you'll see it is actually there. Is this what might be happening?

ravells
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I have that too, but I just ignore it and assume it is there. It looks like the text is white on a white background.

Steel General
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I've seen that too...

Robbie
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Hmm...I've noticed that but thought it was just my weird colorblind friendly color scheme causing it...I'll take a look this evening when I get home from work.

Valarian
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Technical issues aside (and it is only the colour scheme) ... I've done some more map. It's coming along nicely and I've put two examples down tonight. One without the CC3 sheet effects on and the other with. The final entry will consist of a map with sheet effects on.

The map is a mix of styles, the majority of which came as part of the Annual series that has run over the last two years.
So far, I've got the following styles mixed in:
- Black and White
- Mercator
- Pete Fenlon
- Handdrawn

### Latest WIP ###

Valarian
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
A few more additional touches and some naming of the settlements etc. The map is completed, turn the effects back on and ..... a map! The wonders of software. Someone who can't draw at all and I've got a half decent result through the use of some prepared symbols. I know there are some (*cough* Ravs *cough*) who don't like the prepared nature of CC3, but for someone like me (who has no talent in the artistic field whatsoever) it's a wonderful thing.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
09-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Ian...use more colours!

Valarian
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I prefer "understated"

Morshwan
09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Valarian >> I like your mountains! To me, names are to pixelized, may you blur it, just a little?

Valarian
09-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Valarian >> I like your mountains! To me, names are to pixelized, may you blur it, just a little?
Not mine Gov, I just put 'em there. See the above about not being able to draw. I'm using symbols provided by Profantasy Software and using Campaign Cartographer 3 software. You too can produce a map like this (or better if you've got some talent).

I think there is a slight blur on the labels already (as well as the background glow). I hesitated at making it too strong so that the labels would be readable. I might try increasing the blur slightly and seeing what the result is. The sheet effects in CC3 allow you to do all sorts of things so there may be something I can try to make the labels look a bit more inky, rather than printed.

Looking at the blurs, it may look a little better with a decrease on the settlements and marshland, as well as a slight increase on the labels.

For those interested, a breakdown of the symbols:
- Black and White (August, 2008 Annual) ... map border
- Mercator (January, 2007 Annual) ... trees
- Pete Fenlon (January, 2008 Annual) ... mountains, hills, compass rose
- Handdrawn (Symbol Set 1) ... settlement symbols, whirlpool, waves, marshland

The scale bar is mine ;)

delgondahntelius
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
and a fine scale bar it is.... clean, simple, readable and ... most of all.. accurate :D

Valarian
09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Some final tweaks to the sheet effects on the map to improve the look.
Ravs .... look, more colour (slightly) :)

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Yay! :) Looking much better!!!!

Ascension
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
That blue really sells it, softens it a bit somehow to my eye. I even like the pink on the hills. Overall, I'd say you have a unique and pleasing style so that gets an A+ from me :)

ravells
09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Might be worth reducing the saturation of the red on the cities and towns though, they really jump off the page.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Just had another look at the original challenge thread, and I've noticed that I'm missing some forest on the second largest landmass down in the bottom right. Oh well, more mapping to do ... not the final version after all. I'll have a look at the settlement colours at the same time.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Another version of the map with the missing forests added.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:06 AM
I love how simplified you have made the terrain. It makes it much more likely to be an "authentic" fantasy map done by hand by someone from memory. The only issue I have with the map is the darker blue color along the coasts. It doesn't quite blend well with the lighter blue. I think IT may be a touch too purply. Great entry