PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Speed Challenge

ravells
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Phew, 4 hours. It's not much to write home about and there was a lot of time spent fiddling around in photoshop. For speed I just pretty much painted everything and used a few filters and then labelled it in a vector application.

It could use a lot of improvement, but I'm leaving it.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, you "out speeded" me - and here I thought I was on the fast track to getting my map done tonight or tomorrow.

Needs some cleaning up, but leave it as you have and you its still a very useable and functional map. Well done, Ravs!

GP

jfrazierjr
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Phew, 4 hours. It's not much to write home about and there was a lot of time spent fiddling around in photoshop. For speed I just pretty much painted everything and used a few filters and then labelled it in a vector application.

### Latest WIP ###

ROFL. Love the names.... Kind of like where's waldo.

Midgardsormr
09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Laugh. Nice! I was about to feel left out, but then I realized that I'm probably deep underground waiting for the End Days.

I'm digging those mountains, and the forests and water and... okay, it's just a generally great style. Good job ravs!

jfrazierjr
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM

### Latest WIP ###

Couple of places where the mountains could use a bit more blending. Specifically in the valley north of the "s" in Scatterwoods is the most jarring. Thought no where near as sharp, the left fork at the end of the R Arcana might take a bit of blur/smudge also, though I would not fault you if you left that one.

Ascension
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Damn that's sweet.

Valarian
09-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Okay, there go my chances :D
Excellent map Ravs.

Jkaen
09-03-2008, 03:46 AM
darn, and I thought my attempt was going to be rushed, don't know how you guys churn these out so fast.

ravells
09-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys, but honestly, it's a lot simpler than it looks - anyone can do it. I think we get so hung up on using textures that we forget that you can actually get a reasonable map done much faster by just using a round brush in photoshop or gimp and playing with the brush settings.

I'll try to do a video tutorial for this. It's really quick to do. The only bit which requires any artistic knowledge / talent is the mountains and as you can see from them, I really don't have much of that, but I'm sure if I fiddled with the mountains for a couple more hours and looked at references I could have got something more decent.

Steel General
09-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Very nice Ravs... but I feel left out I'm not on the map! :( (Just kidding)

Torq
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Excellent work as usual Ravs. Where do you get your inspiration for place names though?

Torq

ravells
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Rob! I was running out of time to think of anything suitable Fantasy-esque! I just went to the members introduction forum and started running down the list of names!

Sagenlicht
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys, but honestly, it's a lot simpler than it looks - anyone can do it. I think we get so hung up on using textures that we forget that you can actually get a reasonable map done much faster by just using a round brush in photoshop or gimp and playing with the brush settings.

I'll try to do a video tutorial for this. It's really quick to do. The only bit which requires any artistic knowledge / talent is the mountains and as you can see from them, I really don't have much of that, but I'm sure if I fiddled with the mountains for a couple more hours and looked at references I could have got something more decent.

It's a real nice map Ravs, especially the mountains are really great :)

ravells
09-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Wow, I thought the mountains were the worst bit, but thanks.

Morshwan
09-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Only four hours to draw this map? Are you taking drugs or something like that? It is unfair, I have to spend days and days to render something quite good, and you only four hour for beautiful map.

ravells
09-04-2008, 08:27 AM
When I post the tutorial you'll see how easy it was to do. Seriously, anyone could do it and in probably less than 4 hours.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:00 AM
I like the overall design, but I think you relied on pre-set filters a bit too much. They come out being very strong and a tend towards the "gimmicky" IMO. The color choices are great and the overall appearance is nice until you start seeing all the different textures.