PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: The Artic Circle

Redstar
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
So I figured I'd give this month's challenge a go. This is my first challenge and my first overland map, so it should be a great learning experience! Comments and criticisms welcome as usual.

Some notes so far: I haven't done the trees or the marsh yet. I also need to redo the mountains to make them more chunky with snow caps. For the marshes I'm going to make some glacial break up. Cities... still thinking of what to do for that.

I'm using Photoshop CS and various textures. For this WIP I used Jeremy Elford's tutorial as a base.

Cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Very original idea!!! I love it already.

Redrobes
09-03-2008, 07:47 AM
oh yes, thats an interesting take on the original. Nice !

Steel General
09-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Damn! Wish I had thought of that, great idea. Maybe someone will do a arid/desert version.

Redstar
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Oddly enough Steel General, it was all your Issan/Fordam/Yaggar-Stadd maps that gave me the idea. :)

Here's the new one. Changed the water around to give it that creepy frozen lake look... might need to tweak it a bit more. Defined the mountains a little more so they stand out from the hills. Still need to figure out how im going to do the tree and need to fiddle with the "marsh" execution.

This round inspired by Steel General's eerie waters...

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Cool beans, I like it. Can't wait ot see the forest and swamp added.

Torq
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
What a great look Redstar! I think the new one looks fantastically eery, frozen and unique too. Cant wait to see more detail.

Torq

Sagenlicht
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I totally agree with Torq, really looks unique and promising :)

Ascension
09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
That is kickin, good job my man.

Steel General
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Oddly enough Steel General, it was all your Issan/Fordam/Yaggar-Stadd maps that gave me the idea. :)

Those aren't my maps, but still if any of mine ever inspired anyone for any reason I'd be happy.

delgondahntelius
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Great spin on the challenge and way to take it to the next level.... great job... fantastic look on the last one

Redstar
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Those aren't my maps, but still if any of mine ever inspired anyone for any reason I'd be happy.

Maybe I was a bit too playful with the names of the maps. :P Yes you did... like this one (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2755).

Steel General
09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah that one is defintely mine...so yeah I inspired some one!! :D

Redstar
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Here she is. Need to work on the forest still -- having trouble creating a texture i can manipulate with filters. I might change the cities/names to something more... modern? any votes for modern?

### Latest WIP ###

delgondahntelius
09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I like the names myself. I don't think the forests mesh with the overall style of the map tho..

Sagenlicht
09-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Its a real nice map, maybe the forests need a bit more tweaking... maybe the are a bit too 'shiny'? I would try to add a darker shape to them.

I guess modern names would work as well, but it wouldnt matter to me.

Steel General
09-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I think the shape of the forests are to "smooth", maybe need to break them up some, make them a bit more irregular. The names are fine but the city icons seem a little overlarge to me, but that's more preference than any kind of issue.

Sagenlicht
09-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Heh Steel, actually I like those oversized city icons. It's a nice idea and something unique and at least imo works with this map.

Steel General
09-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Heh Steel, actually I like those oversized city icons. It's a nice idea and something unique and at least imo works with this map.

DOn't get me wrong, I don't dislike them. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing such big 'icons' on maps, perhaps the idea will grow on me.

delgondahntelius
09-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm with steel on seeing big icons on maps... but these icons seem to go with the map ... I like them...

jezelf
09-15-2008, 04:09 PM
wow, this is a really nice take on the challenge. It certainly stands out among the entries. good job!

I'm with the General - The icons are quite big. Though for me its that there is not enough of a contrast between the scales of them to distinguish between a city and a town. I do like the icon designs and I also like the cluster of ice you have added. It really works well with your theme.

NeonKnight
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
A very unique take on this month's challenge. Duly Repped Sir!

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:41 AM
I love the differentness of this entry. Way to choose ice.