PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: First Time

bryguy
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Since I joined towards the end of one challenge, and the other I wasn't interested in, I thought I would do this one :)

I decided for it to use my usual style, although the mountains didnt turn out exactly how I wanted them... :(

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
any comments, thoughts, suggestions, anything?

Steel General
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
It's a good start, I'll be better able to give you feedback once I see the rest of the hills, the forests and the swamps. There does seem to be some weird speckling in a few places.

bryguy
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
It's a good start, I'll be better able to give you feedback once I see the rest of the hills, the forests and the swamps. There does seem to be some weird speckling in a few places.

i have those on there, although the hills may be slightly harder to spot...

the swamps are the really dark areas, and the forests can be spotted by looking (very closely!) for dark green areas that have lots of little "bumps" basically. The yellowish specks are the villages.

it was my first time to try to do villages at that scale, and trees, so i just tried doing what i did. Ill try and make the stuff more obvious in the next update :)

and ill try to add names and such, but since I dont know the difference between a lagoon and a gulf, it may take a while :)

Lord
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
i think those mountains are the best part. I am not too sure about the glow or shallow areas around the landmasses though, it's a bit much.

Steel General
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll be honest, I really can't see the forests, swamps or hills at all.

bryguy
09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
OK I added some names (village names and sea/ocean names) and reduced the glow/shallow areas around the landmasses. I also made the trees easier to see, and i tried to do the same for the hills/swamps, but idk if it worked to much for those

### Latest WIP ###

Ghostman
09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
The heavy contrast between the dark sea water and the lighter coasts seems a bit much. And the hills are barely visible. The rivers look very nice though, and the forests look like they could be very good if made to stand out even more.

delgondahntelius
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I am having a bit of trouble seeing the difference between swamp and forest... I can barely make out some trees... overall the map is quite dark looking, this might be due to the dark hue of the ocean .... mountains look good tho, and I can see the city lights :D

NeonKnight
09-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Awww, I actually like the shallow ocean glow. It was my favorite feature.

bryguy
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Awww, I actually like the shallow ocean glow. It was my favorite feature.

lol okay, I can bring it back, but ill make it smaller :)

@Delgon

Ok Ill try and fix that so that its easier to tell the swamp and forest appart :)

and Ill try to lighten up the map a little :) (or maybe the water, whichever works best :) )

@Ghostman

Ill try and make the hills more visible then, and make the forests stand out more :)

Oh and ill try to fix the contrast :)

bryguy
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
ive been working away at getting the stuff done for this, but now im off on a 1-2 week vacation, so idk if ill be able to post the newest version before the voting and everything :(

see ya guys in 1-2 weeks!

delgondahntelius
09-11-2008, 03:52 AM
We'll be waiting with bells on... :D

Steel General
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
We'll be waiting with bells on... :D

...and the little finger cymbals Delgo?

dorpond
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
This map is very cool and unique. I am not sure if you intended it to be very contrasty or not but it sort of creates an errie feel to it. The land is dark but I think that works for this map. I am very curious to see where you go with this.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I really like where this one was going. It is too bad for us that you had a vacation in the middle of the challenge.

bryguy
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
@Dorpond

@mmmmmpig

thanks, and yea it is to bad. Ive been really busy with another project of mine since I got back, but I may have some time to squeeze in some work on this later today :)