PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Khuutath

Steel General
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Not sure if we can enter more than one, but after seeing RedStar's arctic map it got me a'thinnin' (I know dangerous, but what can you do :D). So here is the Dune/Arrakis-like world of Khuutath (well a small part of it anyway). Who knows if I end-up liking this one better I may swap out my existing entry.

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
needs some canyons :)

Arcana
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Hmmm....we've never considered the possibility of multiple entries...I'll pose the discussion in CL forum.

Gamerprinter
09-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Hmmm....we've never considered the possibility of multiple entries...I'll pose the discussion in CL forum.

Even though it was right at the end, I almost considered entering the Planetary Colony tiles for a second entry in last month's challenge. I mention somewhere that I'm sure its not allowed. But the thought of a second entry first came to mind, then.

Just my 2 cents!

GP

Redstar
09-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Ah man your texture work is so good as always! Maybe the "swamps" could be lakes of quick stand?

Arcana
09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
So far we're leaning to a big no-no on the multiple entries...So SG you may want to pick one as your official entry and we'll move the other one to another forum so you can continue with it if wanted. They're both good entries. And I like this one a lot ;) Not that I'm trying to sway your decision or anything.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh, that's beautiful. I can just imagine the sandworms in the sea of sand.

Ah man your texture work is so good as always! Maybe the "swamps" could be lakes of quick stand?
Agree with RedStar here. IIRC, Frank Herbert had areas of Arrakis (sinkholes) where people would disappear in to the sandy depths without a trace. Fine on the surface, but enough loose sand that you'd sink and drown.

Lord
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
i love the releif in those mountains, but whats with the 'forests'? they kinda look like smog, or giant sandstorms.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
i love the releif in those mountains, but whats with the 'forests'? they kinda look like smog, or giant sandstorms.
Desert shrubs, I would think.

Steel General
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the comments guys...the trees are supposed to be shrubs, etc. like Valarian suggested. They probably still need a little bit of work, or I may swap the texture out if I can find one I like better.

The "swamps" are supposed to be desert depressions (I think they're called wadi's?)

Not to thrilled with the city icons at the moment, I may substitute a ruined tower or something in place of what I have now.

@Arcana - No problem about the multiple entries, that's why I posted it the way I did. So please go ahead and move my original entry out the regional map WIP area (or wherever is appropriate) and update this thread as my entry. I've taken more of a liking to this one...especially since it's a bit different than the norm.

Valarian
09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
The "swamps" are supposed to be desert depressions (I think they're called wadi's?)
Wadi's are just dry river beds. In the rainy season they flash flood and become rivers again for a while. The swamps are probably better the dust basin / sinkhole type formations. Loose sand collecting in bedrock depressions but not compacting. Very dangerous.

Steel General
09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Wadi's are just dry river beds. In the rainy season they flash flood and become rivers again for a while. The swamps are probably better the dust basin / sinkhole type formations. Loose sand collecting in bedrock depressions but not compacting. Very dangerous.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't have time to look it up so I was just guessing on the whole wadi thing.

Sink holes/"quick"sand or whatever you want to call them works for me.

delgondahntelius
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Forests could mean anything I suppose you could have a petrified forest.... might be appropriate in a desert environment... just a thought :D

Steel General
09-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Forests could mean anything I suppose you could have a petrified forest.... might be appropriate in a desert environment... just a thought :D

I had that same thought... I'm gonna play around with some other textures and see if i can find anything I like better. This is still got a ways to go before its finished.

Midgardsormr
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
As hard as I try to see it correctly, my brain keeps inverting this map. I wonder if there's something you can do to the coastlines to force the water to be perceived as water.

Valarian
09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
What water, Midgard? It's sand, all sand. :)

Sagenlicht
09-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I am really excited to see the next WiP Steel :)

Steel General
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
OK, finally had sometime to get back to this. I tweaked some of the textures, though I'm still not entirely happy with the "forest" texture, I haven't been able to find anything I liked better. Added the compass rose, the scale bar, cities, city names, map title, etc.

OK, just in case I don't get back to this I wanted to include this little bit of history that goes along with the map. It's no literary masterpiece, but I think it came out OK.

09/16/08: Allrighty then... after several hours of fruitless searching for a replacement texture for the forests with no success. I'm going to call this done.

**Disclaimer/Credits/Etc.**
Map done in Photoshop using textures downloaded from Spiral Graphics and slightly tweaked using the Genetica viewer.
The compass rose is from the Fantasy Clip Art font, all other text done using the Flat Earth Scribe font. The capital city icon and the scale bar are objects downloaded from the Dundjinni forums with textures applied to them. Remaining city icons just circles with textures and effects applied to them.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I know that you were intending for your forests to be more like scrublands rather than full-on forests since this is more of a desert, but I couldn't pick 'em out, so yeah maybe a lil more tweaking, maybe a very slight greenish-brown color, I dunno. The text effects are perfect by the way and fit the font and feel very nicely.

Torq
09-10-2008, 03:30 AM
I love the map SG. My favourite parts are the bits that used to be swampland. Your textures for those areas are excellent. The map has such a desolate feel to it, the impression is created that something really bad happened here. Excellent character and mood.

Torq

Steel General
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
I love the map SG. My favourite parts are the bits that used to be swampland. Your textures for those areas are excellent. The map has such a desolate feel to it, the impression is created that something really bad happened here. Excellent character and mood.

Torq

Thanks Torq, that's exactly what I was intending. I have a little bit of a back story bouncing around in my head that I need to try and get down before I lose it.

@Ascension - Yeah I spent a couple of hours trying to find something that looked like petrified trees or even a burned out forest, but everything was the wrong angle. I need something top-down to do what I really want.

P.S. - Added a short "History" .pdf to my last post with the map update, so if you are interested it's a quick read.

dorpond
09-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Man! Everything about this friggin map screams professional! You should work for Blizzard. :)
I love the old-map feel to it. Those maps rock!

Valarian
09-12-2008, 03:36 AM
I like the background piece.

Spotted one small typo, if you want to fix it.
Second page, third paragraph, third line ... should read Jhaafa?

In time the leaders of Jhafaa, in order

The Ancient One reminds me of characters in stories such as David Eddings' Belgarath (Belgariad) or Janny Wurts' Sethvir / Calum Kincaid (Mistwraith series). One wonders whether the calamity was the fault of who the Ancient One used to be.

Steel General
09-12-2008, 08:48 AM
@Dorpond - Thanks for the kind words, I'm very happy with it. About the only thing I want to change is the texture used for the forests. But if I can't find a better one I'll leave things as they are.

@Valarian - Glad you liked it, I'll fix the typo if I get a chance. As to whether The Ancient One had anything to do with the calamity...it might just be possible. :D

There is a bit of Belgarath, some Gandalf, even a pinch of Yoda all mixed together in the make up the Ancient One.

jezelf
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Great work, Steel.

Those mountains look very well done. I like the stepping on them

It works well as a thumbnail and I very much like the colour palette too. It certainly gives mood to the piece.

Steel General
09-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks....

NeonKnight
09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Man I am gonna have one hell of a time voting this month :(

Steel General
09-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Man I am gonna have one hell of a time voting this month :(

I agree 100%, the only thing I do know is that I won't vote for myself.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:50 AM
ooooh sandy! I like the feel of this one a whole bunch. This is a tasty map in a sort of dry and gritty way.