PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Staughton Coast, Thrimbal Channel

MountZionRyan
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
First try at a map challenge. I went with what I would call a traditional fantasy style, save for the mtns and hills. I just love this technique (although I don't know what it's called) and need more practice.

I'm already second guessing a few things, but I think I'll plow ahead as is.

Anyway here is the raw hand drawn map. I still need to erase pencil lines other clean up.

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Its customary for me to rep any new member who enters a challenge on first post. Well not quite first but you did say on it that you would enter ! So Have some 'rep'. Also, a correct wip tag for the challenge entry wip :) nicely done. I'll add you to the thumb entrants list right now but you will appear on the page when its next run.

Steel General
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of the hand-drawn style maps, but if this is just a start I can't wait to see the finished product. Very nice so far!

Ascension
09-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I love the inkwork with the calligraphic pen coastlines, reminds me of the Shelley Shapiro work in the Eddings' books. Excellent job! I might dump the blue for more black...or course if there is more color work to come then forget this last sentence :)

Midgardsormr
09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
the mtns and hills. I just love this technique (although I don't know what it's called) and need more practice.

For your edification, those are called hachures or hachure lines. Sometimes a line is placed perpendicular to the hachures to indicate the top of the ridge or hill. That helps to indicate which direction the slope is running. I'm not sure if that's necessary here, though.

MountZionRyan
09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Updated. I tried colors and I think I like it. Next up, some labels.

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice ! I think the color has really brought that map out a lot.

The Cartographist
09-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Great start. I'm looking forward to where this goes...

MountZionRyan
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.
Here is the final version.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Very nice! The colors really give it some "zing" :)

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 03:59 AM
This is easily readible and nicely done. I like the "old skool" symbology for the hills and mountains.

MountZionRyan
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks. I am really drawn to earlier maps that use hachure lines for topography (although shaded relief is my absolute favorite).