PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Rhawa

Ghostman
09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Firt time I enter one of these challenges.

In this map I've constructed the terrain with texture patterns made from NASA satellite photography. I've also made use of textures of wood, marble and water from texture packs. The compass rose is likewise not a creation of mine.

Not very original I guess, but that's my mapping style. This may or may not be the final version. The forests could use some improvement, perhaps a bit of cloud noise added. Might think about labeling the rivers, islands, etc. but I don't want to end up with too much text on the map.

delgondahntelius
09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Still, its a nice first entry :D Like the feel and color of the map ... good job :D

loydb
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Looking good!

Gamerprinter
09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice first entry, I agree with everything Del, said about it. I like the mountains and have no problems with using photo textures for terrain in creating regional maps. I use a similar technique on my Celanta and Duchy of Dernallion maps in the Finished Maps forum.

Good job!

GP

Ascension
09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I, too, agree with the above...not too shabby at all as a developing style. Over time you will refine your style and tweak it but this looks pretty good.

NeonKnight
09-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Looks good. The swamp & Forest are not quite distinctibe from each other enough though for the Quick Eyeball pass.

Ghostman
09-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. The marsh is problematic since I couldn't find any good wetland images to make textures from. Guess I'll have to play around with some filters.

delgondahntelius
09-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Do a google image search for swamp/marsh textures... or even better... make one up yourself... :D... it's easy ... c'mon .. everyone is doing it .. it's the latest fad :D

Steel General
09-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Do a google image search for swamp/marsh textures... or even better... make one up yourself... :D... it's easy ... c'mon .. everyone is doing it .. it's the latest fad :D

Weren't you going to create a BLOG for it Del? :D

delgondahntelius
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Weren't you going to create a BLOG for it Del? :D
lol. At least I'd have something to finally blog about.... at least that would be better than the blank template that's there now.. eh? :D

Ghostman
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Alright, second version done! I redid the marshes for this one: found a satellite picture of a flood and used that as a base for the texture. I think it's improved from the previous version but I'd appreciate feedback. I also darkened the forests so that they should be more distinct from the rest of the terrain.

### Latest WIP ###

dorpond
09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Great map, Ghostman! Very professional looking!

Ascension
09-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Don't take this in a negative way but it reminds me of one of those old Magic: The Gathering playing cards. I thought the art pretty much rocked on those so I think this looks pretty good too.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Great stylization going on here. I think your non-mapping stuff could use a little tightening up though. There seems to be a large amount of empty space in your title area especially since your borders on the map itself are so tight. The overall composition seems a bit un-balanced. The map is killer though.