PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Tir na Mor Rioghna

nemojbatkastle
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
First post to a challenge, still very WIP and flavorless. Mostly made in photoshop with the mountain brush presets I found on this site plus generous tweaking, and I ran the poster edges filter over it.

Any suggestions?

### Latest WIP ###

delgondahntelius
09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
outstanding. I love the cartoony feel of the map... what filters are you using mainly?

Ascension
09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, poster edges really makes that outstanding, good job.

nemojbatkastle
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Much thanks guys.

The filters are all standard option stuff, poster edges and lots of fiddling with contours. I got the swamps the way I did through an overly complicated process and everything got applied a liberal spattering of different colors.

There is still so much I need to do for this. A question: am I doing something wrong that my map isn't showing up in the thumbnail gallery?

delgondahntelius
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
No you're fine... sometimes the script hangs when we have a lot of entries... or something technical like that ... redrobes will come by sooner or later and fix it up for you...

Redrobes
09-09-2008, 05:17 AM
A question: am I doing something wrong that my map isn't showing up in the thumbnail gallery?No its fine, its just when I get around to running the script which was this morning so its in there now. Outstanding map btw ! I was looking at all the thumbs and thinking that at least at thumb scale your stands out as being the nicest looking. Awaiting more tweaks !!! Oh I also rep anyone who joins and goes right in with a challenge entry. Thats the spirit.

aeronox
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Out of curiosity, what Mountain brush preset did you use?

nemojbatkastle
09-10-2008, 06:18 AM
The mountain brushes I used are posted somewhere on this site, going along with a very sexy layer style that comes as part of the pack. I recall I changed the color of the mountains to match the landscape, and then put another layer on top with the mountains again in white. If that makes sense. Here are two pics along the way to show how it's going.

The symbols are bugging me. Does anyone know of any shapes, brushes, or clip art that had towns, castles, or other medieval objects of note. What I am specifically looking for is icons for standing stone. You know, Dolmens, Cromlechs, that sort of thing. Hell, I would even settle for a Cruach.

Here the nice India Ink map, which is sort of a diversion.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/nemobatkastle/Tirnaitgoescopy.jpg

nemojbatkastle
09-10-2008, 06:28 AM
And that settles it that I will NOT be putting the India Ink filter on the final product. Here it is the ever-popular sun faded filter run over everything.

If anyone is curious the flag is the standard of Tir no Mor Rioghna, and the three shields are the symbols of the three major clans that make up the country. I'm going to write in little capsule entries for each of them soon.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/nemobatkastle/Tirnaitgoes.jpg

delgondahntelius
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
sweet....
and ya, i'd stay away from the india ink filter :D

Sagenlicht
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Nemo, that last one is really nice imo :)

Ascension
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I have to say, and I might be the only one, that I prefer the India ink version. It looks straight up professional and ready for print. I might lighten up the topographical stuff just a tad so that the darker cities and stuff could stand out a bit more but otherwise I would love to be able to do that. Nice look.

nemojbatkastle
09-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks to you all for your kind words and encouragement. I admire the talent of you mapmasters out there, and I am pleased by your comments. To keep anyone who's curious curious here's my latest progress, after ripping out all the junk and placing in these nice new map symbols I found.

BTW aeronix the brushes I used are just presets I discovered somewhere on the site, I played with the colors a bit and that's about all.

dorpond
09-11-2008, 09:18 PM
This is a great map! I can tell there is a lot of work going on here. I appreciate your choice of filters. Nice job!

One piece of advice if I may. The ocean doesn't feel right to me - it almost feels 'mountainous' as if it is coming out of the water. I would probably keep working on that layer and see what you can do to make it appear more like water.

Great job!

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Layer the color version over the india ink version at about 50 to 75% opacity and I think you have a stunner. That being said, this is a nice stand alone as well, I just think the combination of the two would kick more butt.

nemojbatkastle
09-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Whew! Right under the wire and with all those college-style mistakes that ad a low rent charm. Being new to the forum I hope to stay involved, so thanks to all for the interest.

### Latest WIP ###

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/nemobatkastle/tirneedtitleandjunkcopy.jpg

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:27 AM
I LOVE the woodcutty-ness of this!

nemojbatkastle
09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
err, um...

What time is the deadline? Some of the typos are bugging me, and they must be fixed. Or not.

Sagenlicht
09-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Nemo, thats one great map, I love it :)

nemojbatkastle
09-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Here's my final final piece.

### Latest WIP ###

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/nemobatkastle/tirneedtitleandjunkcopy-1.jpg