PDA

View Full Version : Greetings guildspeople

Special Envoy
09-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I have been lurking in these fora for quite some time, but as I lacked what is necessary to contribute with something to them I have never joined the group. Now I finally think that I may be able to dedicate myself to drawing maps!

I have been interested in world building for years, although I have never been able to be serious about it. Now I want to do things properly, and cartography just seems the natural step, especially in such a good community!

I have purchased a new computer (a laptop / notebook) and I am installing some free image software (GIMP, Inkscape and Wilbur just for the sake of it), but I am considering some paid software as well, mainly Leveller. Drawing in such a computer is worrying me a bit... Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts about it, since you are experienced.

Hopefully, I will be doing some tutorials in order to build up the necessary skills, but it will certainly be a while before I have the courage to post anything, no matter how nice you all are!

As this is probably more than enough for an introduction, I will add more information as soon as I hear from you. Anyway, it is an honor for me to be amongst you, receive my greatest salutations!

ravells
09-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Lovely to hear from you, Special Envoy! Use the tutorials with the software you've loaded and you'll be making great maps in no time!

Ascension
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
The tutorials are a huge asset in that you don't need to know anything, if you can read then you can make a good map. With practice to can begin to branch out on your own with your own style and that's where the fun really starts :) Welcome to the guild.

Steel General
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Torq
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Great software choices Special Envoy and welcome to the guild. If you have any questions at all about anything to do with maps please feel free to ask.

Torq

NeonKnight
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

jezelf
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Welcome! Good to have you with us. There's a wealth of information here, which will soon help you along.

Special Envoy
09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
First of all, I would like to thank each of you for the welcome I have received. As it should be known, it is truly an honor to be amongst such great artists and enthusiasts of cartography.

I see that my rep count is already up, which leads me to believe that either this is a way to welcome newbies or some of you wanted to rep someone else and could not do this owing to the fora rules...

I also notice that you all put a great deal of faith in the tutorials and other kind of information that I can find here, so I really hope that I am apt for the challenge of learning cartography.

Now, question-wise, as Torq so kindly offered (and by the way let me just congratulate you for the Cooperative Worldbuilding Project, I wish this enterprise the best luck), I wonder if anyone could help me installing Wilbur, for as I double click any of the installation files I get a message like "this type of processor does not offer support to this installation package". Tanks in advance.

Gamerprinter
09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Uh, you've only got two posts, on this or any thread, post 3 more times (an anti-spam thing) then you can send/receive private messages.

Send a PM to waldronate (another member here), he is "Wilbur", the primary developer for that tool, that is. Ask him, and give specifics regarding your operating system, chip set, and version of Wilbur you downloaded. I'm sure he can help you directly.

GP

NeonKnight
09-17-2008, 02:06 AM
I rep'ed ya because I like people to feel good with their rep ;)

That and I hate the blue button and like the nice green one.

Finally, because everyone likes the rosy feeling inside for recieving rep :D

Torq
09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Special Envoy, I agree with Redrobes. Who best to ask about an App but the person who wrote it, and Waldronate is a member here. From memory though I think there are two versions of Wilbur. The one is a 64 bit app that wont run on everything. There is also another version that shouldn't give you a problem, but if I remember correctly its not that easy to find on the site.

Torq

Special Envoy
09-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Thank you again for the kind suggestions concerning my little problem! Torq, I was unaware of that difference between Wilbur's versions, I will try to search for that other one. I recalled that the great programmer (more rep? - just kidding) that created Wilbur was a member of these fora, but as I cannot yet send PMs (what I can perfectly understand), I thought that maybe it would be better to ask like that - also, I did not remember that the person I should be looking for was Waldronate. Sorry! NeoKnight, my proposed reasons for the rep were not serious, of course, and yours are certainly pretty good! Rep'ed!!! Though I do not think that it made that much difference for you...

Redrobes
09-17-2008, 08:50 PM
If you run a PC then you generally run with a Pentium type processor which has many revisions but one of the bigger ones is that the new ones are 64 bit and the older ones are 32 bit. All of the 64 bit ones can run 32 bit code but the 32 bit ones cannot run 64 bit code.

To run a 64 bit application you need a 64 bit capable CPU - like a Core 2 type or Athlon 64 type. You also need a 64 bit OS which could be XPx64 or Vista64.

Otherwise all other windows OS'es like Windows 2000, XP and Vista are 32 bit. A Pentium, Celeron, or a Core (not Core 2) etc are all 32 bit only CPU's

So when looking for a version, it would have to be a windows type and it should say 32 bit or x86 which are the 32 bit ones or 64 bit, or x64 which are the 64 bit variants.

Heres the Wilbur link:
http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html

and the 32bit download link:
http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Wilbur32_Setup.zip

I am sure Joe will expand on anything else I have not covered.

Special Envoy
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Redrobes, yours was a very thorough answer / post, and I am most thankful for it. Since Torq's post I have searched for, and downloaded, the appropriate version of Wilbur, as well as I successifully have installed and played with it. As I can gather from your explanation, it seems that, though my CPU is 64-bit capable, my OS is not, which is quite frustrating... Well, there is nothing to do about it. Anyway, I am planing to use this program mainly to suggest different shapes and patterns for the maps I will draw in Gimp and Inkscape. This reminds me that I should also look into your Instant Islands.

On a completely unrelated topic, I was wondering how could I participate more in these fora, i. e., apart from posting WIPs. The thing is that I do not want to be here just to lurk, but I certainly am not a fully fledged cartographer. Moreover, I cannot tell people what I like and what o do not like in maps I cannot even dream of producing... The only thing that I am certain that I can do is to try tutorials. As always, it is a pleasure to be amongst you.

jfrazierjr
09-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

My best advice: get a writting Tablet. They take some getting used to(especially with GIMP as it does not seem to remember settings) but can help you do things you just cannot easily do without it.