PDA

View Full Version : Question About Reputation

arakish
09-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I have been browsing around this forum site much more than posting. But I am a noob here. Although I have known of this site for quite some time, I just never joined as a member. Don't ask why, 'cause even I don't know.

I was reading some of the FAQs, misc, and Member's List.

Am I correct in assuming, that if clicked, the Member's list is resorted by that column header? And if I am correct in this assumption, why am I only 14 entries down on the third page?

I thought, according to the FAQs, repping couldn't just be thrown around. Although I have to admit, there are some members here worthy of my "repping" them. I haven't done any "repping" because of that warning in the FAQs.

I was just wondering, "How could I get such a high rep rating with so few posts and 12 pages of members?"

I know the relief maps I posted in my intro here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2781) are quite old. The original files have a datestamp of 06/08/1993 and 06/22/1993. Making them 15 years old. And they were made with an ancient method I used in Paint Shop Pro version 4.

The more recent postings were made with some very expensive software suites which I can get free student versions for being in college. But I had to prove I was a student.

Please give me enlightenment as to why a rep can be that high, or ignore the flamboozled ramblings of a noob.

rmfr

Robbie
09-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Actually I'd like to see rep thrown around a bit more to be honest. There's a LOT of members here that have no rep really. But the numbers are an accurate reflection of the use of the rep system. The most popular recipients of rep being tutorial authors and givers-away of free ready to use stuff of course...and the occasional really unique style poster gets hit with the rep stick...

I will say this...I repped you. And my rep-stick is worth a whopping 10 points. I'd say that was probably a nice booster for you. I've repped some people, but should probably do i tmore often to boost the use of the system.

RobA
09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
How do you know how much rep will be given when you rep someone?

-Rob A>

RPMiller
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Actually I think Arcana is a bit off. If I'm remembering this correctly, you give someone a number of points equal to your dots or rep divided by 100.

So he actually only gives out 1 point and you give out 2. I'm basing this on the fact that I just got repped by several people and only went up about 6 rep points putting me at a whopping 45. So even though I rep fairly frequently, I'm only giving folks 1 point of rep each time.

I think...

Robbie
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
you get 1 point of rep power for every 360 days registered,
you get 1 point of rep power for every 500 posts
you get 1 point of rep power for every 100 points of rep

RobA your rep power is 6, and you have 158 points of rep.
RPMiller your rep power is 7 and you have 45 points of rep. (Edit: I just repped you, and you now have 55, so my 10 points is correct)

I believe your rep power is based on rounding up to the nearest rep power.

RPMiller
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Ok, cool. Thanks for the clarification on that. Good to know that I'm giving more rep than I thought. Do we have that info in the Rep thread or in the FAQ?

Robbie
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Just turned on the display for Reputation by number...this will give everyone a better idea where they stand, which also helps people calculate their rep power. You'll be able to see how repping someone affects their rep score. This might help promote the use of Rep.

As for the FAQ and Rep Thread...I think it is there, I'll have to check though.

NeonKnight
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
So I have a REP power of about 4?

jfrazierjr
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Hmmm.. I guess I better get busy making stuff for people to rep me over...

NeonKnight
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Just Repped Arcanna, and Yep, I have a REP power of 4 :(

RPMiller
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I wonder if there is a way to add rep when you win an award?

NeonKnight
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
HEY, Your Post count 2,222! Way to go!

RPMiller
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Hehe, you should have seen the parade I got when I hit 666. :lol:

Sigurd
09-17-2008, 01:44 AM
I rep unsuspecting good people until I can't rep any more. Then I don't worry about it for a while.

I call this the Slarrtybartfast school or rep - erations.

I like almost random 'rep and run' sorte's against people who don't know what it is yet. I call that rep -ertory theatre.

Many people who deserve rep don't get enough but others, even if they deserve less rep, get none at all.

I find it much more fun to be off kilter with this but then, given a choice, I cook the potatoes that look sad first. So I'm not claiming to be too calculating.:D

:idea:

Gamerprinter
09-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Well then I just "Repped" you for such an unusual method of repping! :arrow:

With this new emphasis on repping, not that its new, but now that its more visible, I'm trying to spread the love. But I'm not one to rep, unless I got a reason, so I'm still probably too judicious in rep spread.

GP

Steel General
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Is there a way to know when you've spread enough "love" around to others, so that you can go and rep someone again other than it telling you "gotta spread more love dude"? :)

RPMiller
09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes and no. There is a limit to how many times you can rep per day, and also how many different people before you can rep someone that you have already repped. I do not recall off the top of my head what those numbers are though.

I think it is 10 reps per day, and 20 different people, but Arcana can tell us what the numbers are exactly.

Robbie
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
It was 10 and 10, but I just changed it to 20 reps per day, and 10 different people before you can rep the same person.

RPMiller
09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Cool. Thanks Arcana!

RobA
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
I wonder if there is a way to add rep when you win an award?

I know admin (and possibly CL's?) can manually adjust rep in the mod panel.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
09-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I know admin (and possibly CL's?) can manually adjust rep in the mod panel.

-Rob A>
Interesting... Perhaps we should have a discussion about that?

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
We have a mod panel? ....
I'm a sad mod.... sad sad sad