PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy map as evidence in a lawsuit

RobA
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't know who has seen this:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/22/is-god-of-war-a-swip.html

Is God of War a swipe of 2002 screenplay?

Interesting is the claim that the one map is based on the other... with claims like:

Barette-Herzog's map has a Meadow of Lost Souls flanked by dark silhouettes. God of War's in-game map has an area called the Desert of Lost Souls, flanked by similar figures. In each map, both regions are bordered by dark, triangular trees or mountains.
Both maps use similar symbol for the hero's destination, a mountain range with a small, round door beneath the highest peak.

(follow the link to see the two maps)

-Rob A>

MadLetter
09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow. Seriously, how dumb can it get?

"I sue you because you look similar to me!!!"

Robbie
09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't see nearly as much similarity as is claimed. I wouldn't even call it a derivative work.

Sagenlicht
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Hmm I am not used to the US Law but I seriously hope someone wanna just make some quick cash?

ravells
09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Both maps use similar symbol for the hero's destination, a mountain range with a small, round door beneath the highest peak.

Sounds like the entrance the lonely mountain in the hobbit to me.

RPMiller
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
That is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry regardless of the medium. We all have a very familiar background and set of works that we draw from. Whether it is the roleplayers, the console players, or the writers, we all pretty much have knowledge of Tolkien, D&D, mythologies of the world, and that one ring that binds us all - the maps that came with those works.

All that is going to continually influence whatever is created after it to some degree and to seek legal damages of any kind is going to be met with a lot of hesitation on the jurors side if the defense attorney is doing a decent job to point that fact out.

Torq
09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
A completely personal opinion, having run approximately 20 copyright infringement trials, albeit in a different jurisdiction; if thats substantial similarity I'm a mung bean.

Torq

ravells
09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
That is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry regardless of the medium. We all have a very familiar background and set of works that we draw from. Whether it is the roleplayers, the console players, or the writers, we all pretty much have knowledge of Tolkien, D&D, mythologies of the world, and that one ring that binds us all - the maps that came with those works.

All that is going to continually influence whatever is created after it to some degree and to seek legal damages of any kind is going to be met with a lot of hesitation on the jurors side if the defense attorney is doing a decent job to point that fact out.

Hey, do you think the defence attorney will read my post and thank for introducing him to Tolkien?

Torq...I'm gonna sue you for using the words 'personal' and 'albeit' I'm sure I used them before you. ;)

Steel General
09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the Litigation States of America :P

Torq
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey, do you think the defence attorney will read my post and thank for introducing him to Tolkien?

Torq...I'm gonna sue you for using the words 'personal' and 'albeit' I'm sure I used them before you. ;)

I had another look at the old tolkien map from the hobbit. Man, the entrance to Smaug's lair in the lonely mountain is recalled quite sharply. Unless the Defendant's lawyer is a Tolkien fan, I reckon s/he may miss a trick there.

Torq

alaskanflyboy
10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
If that counts as a derivative work, then there are a lot of car companies out there that can sue each other out of existence for their too-similar modern designs. I see little similarity in the maps other than the Lost Souls thing toward the center.

Schley
10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
They don't have a leg to stand on. The two works have overall differences in visual composition as well as specific illustrated content. Somebody's got a stick up there #*^ and want's to make a fuss over nothing. I'm sure the lawyers are going to get paid though. Suckers.