PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Planetary Survey

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Well, It was a rough evening, but I got it done.

The map is of a planetary survey being done by a spacefaring civilization on a planet that is not so advanced. A combination of Photoshop and Illustrator.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
09-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Very, very cool! I love how one scan line is super sharp and the other is blurred, and I also really like the little info-graphic on each of the cities - aw heck, I love it all. Fab entry mmmmmpig!

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks much. It was a bear to do. Probably 12 hours total for this version. I started many other styles and settled on this one tonight.

Robbie
09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Way to resurrect it at the end! All of a sudden EVERY entry has a comment from you and then you post yer own entry...binge posting for the win! ;)

Looks good, interesting idea!

MountZionRyan
09-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Very nice details on the "display." And points for a creative twist on the challenge.

Steel General
09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Another great take/twist/spin on the challenge.

I bonk thee with my Cudgel of Repping *bonk*.

oh and yeah, thanks for making the voting even harder... :D

jfrazierjr
09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Ugh... me no can see. Error in image... is something going on with the forum software again or perhaps it's just me and FF3?

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Arcana: Sweet Giblets and Gravy there are a boat load of entries this month... It took a Loooong time to comment on every one.

MountZionRyan: Thanks, it was difficult trying to come up with something not already covered inthe breadth of work shown this month.

Steel General: Oh, I did not make this vote any harder than it already was. Thanks for the rep.

jfrazierjr: I posted it from FF3, so I hope that is not the issue. I hope you get to see it, I think it turned out well.

RobA
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
wee-hooo!

Sci-fi entries rock!

-Rob A>

Redrobes
09-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Ohh nice, almost missed this one. Will get it added to the thumbs right now !

Breaking all records now at a whopping 28 this month.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Breaking all records now at a whopping 28 this month.

I know, the month I get to come back and play, there are 28 entries this month.

Redrobes
09-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I just looked at it in detail. Its great but I thought that the cyan bits would look better if it was like phosphor screen stuff. So I put a color curve on it. Maybe my monitor gamma is set different and so it looks duller but with a boost I think it would improve. Like this maybe ?

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
that is muuuuch better.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks a lot! Last night I went through all of the entries picking my top 3 and here you come along and blow it all up. Now I gotta decide who to bump out cuz this one is most certainly going in...unless we get 4 votes :) I like the monitor scan lines on the topography...it's a detail that many would not include or forget to include on something "techy" like this since there are plenty of other techy bits like the grid and city pop-ups. I'm a detail meister so I bonk thee as well. Excellent job.

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Honsetly, the whole idea came from seeing a tutorial on making a denim texture from scracth in PS. I saw it and thought "monitor scan lines! from an advanced society! doing extraplanetary cartography! Why am I shouting in my head?"

delgondahntelius
09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I like this map quite a bit... one for the unique approach, very good idea. two> the black and white imaging ... just like a military satellite photo you would see in a VG like MSG4 or Previous COD's ... Very nice ... very well played sir!

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks on both points Delgo.

deal with black and white orthophotography nearly everyday, so it only seemed natural to select that as my backdrop... even though the textures I used were from color sat imagery.

When you are combining multiple sources as a singular entity, it is often necessary to dumb down all the data to get a consistent look.

Patrakis
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
What an interesting take on the theme. It looks like a piece one could see in a computer game.

Pat

mmmmmpig
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
What an interesting take on the theme. It looks like a piece one could see in a computer game.

Pat
Thanks! I wanted it to look like a screen shot of a dynamic and interactive map.