PDA

View Full Version : Please. Your thoughts on joining Monthly Challenges.

delgondahntelius
09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
A recent reply and recent CL discussions have prompted me to move this discussion to the general forums and all of you lovely people.

Any explanations on the reasons you voted the way that you did? Remember the poll was anonymous and if you wish to remain anonymous in your voting you don't have to respond. Your reasons are your reasons. We (CL's) felt we needed a little feedback in the low response to the guild challenges. (This month's challenge was an exception of course, we really didn't expect such a welcome and glorious response, and we all thank you.)

As a point in fact, I haven't joined the last couple of challenges (save this month's) because of a number of reasons, but mostly I was just too busy too join.

I noticed a lot of votes leaned toward the fact that people just don't feel confident enough in their skills to make an entry. I too at first was a bit hesitant to submit an entry, especially after seeing such great entries from users like RobA, RedRobes, Gameprinter, and many, many more. I am my own worst critic when it comes to my artwork or writing, and often bash my skills. But ultimately after being on the site for a couple weeks, and getting such positive feedback from other members (Highly constructive criticsm) and NO flaming or other such bashing as you might see on other sites, that I would go ahead and put in an entry. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1624)

So glad that I did, because I get such good feedback from those around me, I've become ten times the artist/cartographer since then. I mean it literally opened up a whole new world for me and gave me the confidence that I needed to take on actual commissions (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2695) that actually paid money, and since then I've gotten at least three more paying commissions. All due to the fact that I decided to go ahead and give one of the monthly challenges a try, and I still haven't won one yet. (crosses fingers) But I keep trying and my skills are improving because of it.

So to all those who feel they just don't have the GUMPFF to hand in an entry, I've been there. I know what low self-esteem is, and you gotta just take it on faith. I'm not guaranting that you'll immediately become the superstar I have (lol! j/k) but you won't get bashed or berated and we aren't going to hate you for it. What's the worst that will happen? You won't win.... big deal... its not like you have money on the table, and chances are you will at the very least get some good feedback on where you may be lacking and what points you need to focus on to make a decent possibly professional looking map.

So, what's you take on why you don't join, or why other's should join... or whatever :D it's a discussion... DISCUSS!! :D

jfrazierjr
09-25-2008, 07:33 PM
For me, its has been a matter of a) not feeling confident in my talent, b) the few types of styles where I do have some confidence in has not been the challenge targets, and c) sadly, lack of time...

Karro
09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Well... I guess I've been waiting for the intersection of three cosmic events: (1) A challenge topic that looks interesting and fun and that I think I can benefit from participating in, (2) Having enough free time to participate and (3) having developed the skills and speed at producing maps necessary to complete the challenge within the one-month time frame.

I guess cosmic event #1 happens relatively regularly (it's like a lunar cycle or something), but cosmic events 2 and 3 just aren't working out for me. I've been too busy to even have time to work on my own personal projects, much less one of the monthly challenges. And I still lack the skill and (computer) speed to get these things done in a timely manner.

I suppose I might be a little intimidated by some of the sheer awesomeness of talent out there, and among those who participate in challenges, but if I entered it would be with the explicit expectation that I wouldn't take home the gold anyway... that's not why I'm here or why I'd play the game. I came here to learn how to make maps better, and that's what the challenges would be all about, for me. So yeah, I'd like to participate, but those second two conditions don't look like they'll be lining up for me any time soon...

Gamerprinter
09-26-2008, 12:13 AM
I love and live for the challenges. In roughly 14 months as a member, I've participated in 11 challenges. I've won two, and I'm proud of that, noteably, however, those winning months had far fewer challengers. I keep participating not to gain more "wins", so much as opportunities to try different kinds of maps. And yes, my skills improve all the time. The deadline keeps me focused. Everything learned in participating in the challenge goes to the attributes needed for creating maps for commission.

Don't get intimidated, just get involved, as Del said it, entering a map gives you improved skills, confidence and satisfaction in doing your best on a completed map, no matter how the voting goes. No one will be disappointed by you entering the challenge, no matter what level your mapping skills are, everyone will grow from the experience.

I prefer the multi-vote poll, and keeping it honest is fine for me - there's plenty of choices on winning maps this month, and the possibility of 5 votes has me thinking where to put them already.

Final point - I have heard some whining, I think back in the January 08 challenge of something like, "Gamerprinter is entering again, when will I ever win a challenge...".

Don't be intimidated by me or anyone participating - like I said, in 11 challenges I've won two - I've lost more than I've won. The odds of winning are as much as anyone's who comes up with a good idea and executes it well. This could be you (directed at the lurkers who don't participate...)!

Maybe I push the envelope alittle on some challenges, it just makes the challenge more exciting for everyone.

Come up with an idea, post a brief in a new challenge thread - even if you haven't started your map, ask questions and tips on direction, tools. After a day or two post your results no matter how bad you think it looks. We'll help you out. You got 25 days to get it done, and keep asking questions - before long you'll be creating a masterpiece.

I am just as happy giving someone a winning idea or tip for their entry that let's them beat me in a challenge! Come on guys, participate!

GP

töff
09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
I desperately wanted to join the September challenge. It was a good one, and I had a great idea. I just haven't had the time. I hope they will keep coming.

Valarian
09-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Maybe we should have a league or handicapping system :P

Jkaen
09-26-2008, 04:10 AM
There are a few reasons why I think this months has proved popular, for me I was waiting for an outdoor mapping project, as right now that is all I have tried, and I want to discover my style for that before moving indoors or to more detailed projects.

The other thing I think is the indimidation factor. when it was just half a dozen big names entering, then I can understand people being nervous to enter, however once you had various rookies and others like myself entering, I would have thought that would make people think they could 'hide' with all the others and it became less daunting, hence you got a kind of snowball effect.

I think now you have such a large group this month, as long as you are careful and dont make next month overly esoteric then you should retain quite a lot of participants

Redrobes
09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
This month was a very flexible challenge where you got a template and then anything goes. The last time we had a good turnout without prizes was the other dungeon template and make a good map out of it any way you like.

I try and enter every month though some months I spend more time on them than others. I think the new multiple vote should enhance the voting to newer members. Del's marked me as a heavy and I have never won. Its just a bit of fun for me and a chance to try out some new ideas on a map.

Steel General
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Having only been around a few months I was a little intimidated with the quality of the entries at first. But now that I've grown more comfortable with the various software I use and more or less developed a "mapping style" I will probably enter more of the contests.

I think ultimately it comes down to whether the subject of the contest "draws me in enough" that I get excited about spending the time working on an entry.

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
(3) having developed the skills and speed at producing maps necessary to complete the challenge within the one-month time frame.
You should join anyway, even if you don't get a complete entry, it actually motivates you to get it done and prepares you for things like making deadlines. Aside from that, experience has taught me that the more you map, the easier and faster you get with it. Not to mention, gaining a sort of library of what you need to make maps. With somethings, once you devolop the initial style, you have it in your arsenal (Take PS brushes for instance. When I started... I had what every other PS user has... the set of basic brushes it comes with ... now... I have a veritable plethora of brushes for forests, mountains and hills, just to name a few. Not to mention I have a number of actions that will complete some pretty painstaking tasks on command.) ... just keep at it.... you will get faster...

Maybe not as fast as GP, but GP is actually a futuristic machine sent back in time for one purpose .... to kill sarah connor. wait... no... to produce fantastic maps at fantastic speeds. :D

I love and live for the challenges....
Agreed with everything here. GP has great advice here, listen and heed those comments. :D

Maybe we should have a league or handicapping system :P
We've been discussing this in the CL threads, in fact, the poll was kinda 'spawned' off these discussions, which at the moment ... are still in discussion.

There are a few reasons why I think this months has proved popular, for me I was waiting for an outdoor mapping project, as right now that is all I have tried, and I want to discover my style for that before moving indoors or to more detailed projects.

The other thing I think is the indimidation factor. when it was just half a dozen big names entering, then I can understand people being nervous to enter, however once you had various rookies and others like myself entering, I would have thought that would make people think they could 'hide' with all the others and it became less daunting, hence you got a kind of snowball effect.

I think now you have such a large group this month, as long as you are careful and dont make next month overly esoteric then you should retain quite a lot of participants
That is something I hadn't thought about, a snowball effect. You probably pinpointed at least part of why this month was a success. If you look at the three largest participating challenges... this month, the month we had a random dungeon, and the month we competed for prizes. obviously the prizes were the motivation for one month, but I'm thinking that the generalality of the maps in the other two challenges were the factors for such a large entry base.

And, as far as intimidating competition. Ya, they are heavy hitters... but, when you place an entry next to those same ones, you get (usually) their opinions on _your_ map and their feedback on how you can improve... if you don't put your entry up there ... obviously they aren't giving you advice on what points you need to concentrate on.... What I love about the challenges is that not everyone is actually competing against one another ... we as a group are trying to push each other to create great maps.... noone is really tight lipped and secretive about their techniques... there isn't any underhanded clipping or any of that you might expect in a competition of 'who is the best'.....

:D

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I try and enter every month though some months I spend more time on them than others. I think the new multiple vote should enhance the voting to newer members. Del's marked me as a heavy and I have never won. Its just a bit of fun for me and a chance to try out some new ideas on a map.
Yes, the multiple voting seems to be quite a success. We should also see the implimentation of the number of votes you get based on the number of completed entries... as per your suggestion :D
I marked you as a hitter cause well... you are. :D ... you make great graphicly pleasing maps, and ... your a genius when it comes to mapping software 3d rendering, scripts for oh ... too many things to count, including the one we use for thumbnails. Ya, you are a bit intimidating my friend, sorry to break the news to you like this... but you rock :D

Having only been around a few months I was a little intimidated with the quality of the entries at first. But now that I've grown more comfortable with the various software I use and more or less developed a "mapping style" I will probably enter more of the contests.

I think ultimately it comes down to whether the subject of the contest "draws me in enough" that I get excited about spending the time working on an entry.
Agreed. Getting comfortable with your chosen medium of mapping is somewhat of a factor in gaining confidence to do something like a challenge. Notice I kinda revert back to my pen and ink maps as opposed to going full PS color extraordinariness. Mainly because I'm more comfortable with a pen and piece of paper than a stylus and a tablet using software that I'm still trying to wrap my brain around.
And I too need a challenge that says (HEY!... I wanna DO THIS!) Aside from the time factor the last couple challenges, I really felt kinda blasé about the challenges. While fun to watch the others make the maps, I just wasn't all that into it.

jezelf
09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I was the one who was unaware of the challenge :) - it's partly because I was new to the forums, and used to seeing banners on other forum home page indexes that announces big news and events - kind like at http://forums.cgsociety.org/ - I'm a visual person, so advertising with big text and pretty pictures usually gets my attention better than a thread subject.

For me the challenge is something to explore and work on my skills as at the moment I don't have any other maps lying around to work on. So a sketch someone else had done was a perfect start to test myself.

I'm not 'in it to win it' - just to develop and learn and there is a fantastic variety of entries which help us all. I find it very interesting, educational and inspirational to see how someone else approaches the same task and I have got a few ideas by other people's entries to try new things and the like.

I'm also only interested in the larger maps, not the D&D maps of inside buildings and caves and stuff so that's why I jumped on this challenge and not the previous one. So if the next one is one of those, I won’t be making an entry. I think they style Challenge is a great idea, and would be interested in seeing it as perhaps a different thread where every month a sketch is created by a forum member .

To anyone worrying about their standard may not be good enough - some words of help (I hope)

The thought of not being good enough will never go away - no matter how 'good' you thing your work is. The positive side is you know you want to improve. Improvement comes with practice. Practice only comes from effort, and It's a healthy thing because the day you feel you 'know it all', is the day you stop developing and improving. There will always be someone better than yourself, but there is only one you. You have the potential to create wonderful things too and there is room for everyone and everyone's efforts have equal validity.

The only difference between you and the stuff you feel is beyond your capabilities is mostly time. Each day, hour, minute to delay out of fear of not being good enough is nothing more threatening that one day, hour, minute away from achieving the level you aim to be at. As for the artists who's work has a touch of divinity - they started life as a kid drawing stick people too, they' just been working at it longer than the rest of us - and these same artists doubt their own abilities - it's a matter of perspective.

I feel all talent is, is the result of being passionate about something - or at least have at spark of interest in it. I certainly don't feel I have 'talent' or am 'gifted' If you are interested you will be enthusiastic, from which come the effort put into something, with that you grow and improve. Everyone who has joined this forum shows interest and therefore has potential.

Fear is the thing that stops us. God knows I have many, many artistic endeavours that are unfinished or not even started because I fear I may not be good enough to create the result I want. But I know if don't do all that work, I won't improve and I'll stunt my growth. This is easier said than done (and I'm reading a book on the 'fear of art' for myself in fact!)

Just by doing this challenge I feel my style improved an inch - and that's what I loved about this challenge - it's about style and every entry has something to offer. With style we are all equals and you make it your own. With any challenge, if you enter you wont ever fail and you will learn something and be that bit closer than to your desired goal than if you didn't.

But it must also be said that CG is a great place to develop because everyone is very supportive, helpful and friendly - a very healthy place to develop!

Sorry - went off subject a bit.

jez

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, and I have ADD, so if a challenge is not interesting I doubt I will finish. I can count on both hands the number video games I have "finished" compared to the hundreds of games I have purchased. I tend not to follow through and complete quite a lot of things sadly...

Thankfully, my wife has taken some interest in my mapping attempts this month and this might be the only reason I actually completed (due to her constantly bringing it up and prodding me to get it complete on time.)

meleeguy
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I love the challenges, they are a great excitement generator and motivator. But I realize (as a moderately skilled hobbyist) I don't have the chops to finish one in 25 days that is even vaguely competitive. We've got some really first rate, professional mappers in the guild (which is a major attraction), but I see no point in going head to head (speaking only for myself). Past a certain point, psychologically being last all the time would vastly overshadow the benefits of practice. Or so my 46 or so years of life tell me. My time is better spent in the other forums where time isn't 'against' me. Now, I sure I'll enter some contests again soon. They are fun! But I need/want to finish my other maps. The Ambush Inn needs to be rptools enabled, and Fenridge Castle needs a massive gatehouse or two. And a road.

My thought is having different tiers or competitions for the various levels of mappers. Maybe run two competitions at once, one for previous winners and one for the 'herd'. :)

Map on my Cartographic 'brothers',
-meleeguy

NeonKnight
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh, and I have ADD, so if a challenge is not interesting I doubt I will finish. I can count on both hands the number video games I have "finished" compared to the hundreds of games I have purchased. I tend not to follow through and complete quite a lot of things sadly...

Thankfully, my wife has taken some interest in my mapping attempts this month and this might be the only reason I actually completed (due to her constantly bringing it up and prodding me to get it complete on time.)

Ahhhhhh ADD, and it's little cousin ADHD.

Yeah, I have it, and I have it bad at times. Like you said many games I have not played to completeing, but I have a lot of games.

Many projects I start, but don;t finish.

Many times I start to do something and then I

Karro
09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
You should join anyway, even if you don't get a complete entry, it actually motivates you to get it done and prepares you for things like making deadlines. Aside from that, experience has taught me that the more you map, the easier and faster you get with it. Not to mention, gaining a sort of library of what you need to make maps. With somethings, once you devolop the initial style, you have it in your arsenal (Take PS brushes for instance. When I started... I had what every other PS user has... the set of basic brushes it comes with ... now... I have a veritable plethora of brushes for forests, mountains and hills, just to name a few. Not to mention I have a number of actions that will complete some pretty painstaking tasks on command.) ... just keep at it.... you will get faster...

Maybe not as fast as GP, but GP is actually a futuristic machine sent back in time for one purpose .... to kill sarah connor. wait... no... to produce fantastic maps at fantastic speeds. :D

Yes, but even if I ignore the alignment of Cosmic Event #3, I still have to contend with the indominatable power of Cosmic Event #2. I, unfortunately, cannot at this point manufacture additional hours for my day. Now that I've started Grad School, what I don't spend at work, in class, or studying is probably spent with my wife. And she's not terribly inclined to sit and watch me work on my computer for long hours at a time. For now, my priorities leave stuff like this a little too low on the list...

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 03:55 PM

Yeah, I have it, and I have it bad at times. Like you said many games I have not played to completeing, but I have a lot of games.

Hey! Are you making fun of my

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM

ROFLMAO....
I too was born with this rare genius talent...

and now for my ADD joke...
Q:How many ADD people does it take to change a lightbulb??
A:Hey, you wanna go ride bikes?

loydb
09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
RL interfered with me finishing mine as well. My company got acquired 3 weeks ago, then the company that acquired us got acquired last week by a bigger fish. As you can imagine, it has been insanity. Sometimes I wish I was still writing games.

loyd

Aera Lure
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm new. Joined mid-September and, though I found the challenge the day I joined, and wished to join it, since it was really suited to a wide array of approaches, I didnt. The reason is really two-fold:

I havent enough time. Right now, I'm lucky if I get props ready for the campaign I run. Most times I delay it an extra week or two between sessions as it is. I'm not sure where I'd find the time to enter a challenge, which would be akin to picking up yet another hobby. Given how well I know I'd wish to try and do, and given my lack of experience, I know it would be a pretty big time investment.

And map creation for the campaign I currently run? Well, that's if I have time after development of the things like story and other props. Most of the time I create one on the fly within RP Tools. I dont think my skills are in the range of most people here.

That said, I'd still like to join a challenge at some point. If a cosmic event happened though that had a monthly challenge more or less matching up with something I needed to create for my current campaign anyway, I'd definitely bring that to the table. I'll be on the lookout. Otherwise, I'll just need to have found a fair bit of free time, which for me is rare. Mostly I joined here to learn about making maps. I may need to join another site to learn about how to make time. ;)

NeonKnight
09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Mostly I joined here to learn about making maps. I may need to join another site to learn about how to make time. ;)

No, no. We have that here too ;)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2356

Sagenlicht
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Well I am kinda new as well, so this was my first challenge as well. But I am definitly planning on joining them regulary as I am sure I will learn alot by doing this.

Personally I cant see an intimidating factor, at least not for me. Sure I wont win, but I dont think this should matter at all? In my opinion these challenges are about fun and improving your mapping skills :)

ravells
09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
My thought is having different tiers or competitions for the various levels of mappers. Maybe run two competitions at once, one for previous winners and one for the 'herd'. :)

Map on my Cartographic 'brothers',
-meleeguy

Funny you should mention that...

I just use the mapping challenges to experiment with different styles. If I don't have enough time in a month I try to find a style where I can complete the map quickly (like this month's entry as I was starting a new job and about to go on holiday).

I find that it's the encouragement that I get when I post my first effort that gives me the confidence to go on. I think that most of my maps are terrible compared to others - the trick is just not to let it worry you and to do the best within your limits. Of course it's nice to win occasionally, but it's just fun being part of a community where you help each other get better.

Have a bash - that's what I say, and use the challenges to improve your own skills. All that can happen is that you'll get a little bettter.

Ascension
09-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Here's how I see it...in college I was in a fraternity, we had some 150+ dudes but only 20 or so of us really ever did anything..making floats, playing intramural sports, running for office, etc. So no matter how many members the guild has only a fraction will actually do anything. This is really not a problem though...everyone joins hoping to get something out of it...even if it is just the ability to view the pics we all post up. Those who are the most passionate about what they do will be the active ones irregardless of "what others think".

The second thing is that I think some of the past challenges have focused on what I call the "close up" stuff like dungeons and encounter-style maps. Certain programs like CC3 and Dunjinni are the best tools to use for these types of maps with some post work in Photoshop or GIMP. I don't own either of those tools/programs so in order for me to do a pretty dungeon it requires me to invest a disproportionate amount of time creating something. If I had either of those I could whip out a decent dungeon in a day or two but since I don't it takes me some 5 hours just to create a decent chair. So challenges like those require me to have the right software so I'll just skip those no matter what. Sure I could draw something up by hand and that would be enough to suffice for a quickie game thrown together but would never come close to being something worthy of being called artistic.

I joined in June so I don't remember what that challenge was but July's challenge was that inn...I'm gonna skip that, August was a VTT dungeon and I did that one just to attempt to wrap my brain around that medium. I probably should have skipped that one as well since trying to do it all in Photoshop was very time consuming and irritating since I don't know anything about that stuff. This month's challenge was very generic despite being given an initial rough sketch. I just like to draw (or in this case, use a mouse to draw) and close up stuff is harder to do than the city or regional stuff that I like.

I think, and this is just my own hunch, that if the challenges were more generic and "large-scale" like cities and regions and what not that there would be more entries. The thing that I think is most important is the scale...all of us are good at drawing maps but we're not all good at designing a pub with all the doohickys that go inside...heck it took me 5 hours once just to do up a nice table whereas I can do a whole continent in 2 hours. So for me, I'll join in on the bigger stuff and forgo software specific stuff like dungeons.

mmmmmpig
09-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I will be attempting to enter into more of the challenges no matter what they end up being. I know that real world intrusions have made it difficult for me to participate or even lurk here recently, but since those pressures seem to have abated...

Anyhoo... I find that entering into artistic challenges of any kind do nothing but make you better. I don't think it is surprising that 28 is a record amount of entries. Many of the people who frequent here may not make maps, they may just like looking at the cart porn that many people here produce. There are some significantly talented folks who post here.

Aera Lure
09-27-2008, 01:18 AM
No, no. We have that here too ;)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2356

LOL. I stand corrected. ;)

Sirith
09-27-2008, 05:49 AM
The second thing is that I think some of the past challenges have focused on what I call the "close up" stuff like dungeons and encounter-style maps. Certain programs like CC3 and Dunjinni are the best tools to use for these types of maps with some post work in Photoshop or GIMP. I don't own either of those tools/programs so in order for me to do a pretty dungeon it requires me to invest a disproportionate amount of time creating something.

I think, and this is just my own hunch, that if the challenges were more generic and "large-scale" like cities and regions and what not that there would be more entries. The thing that I think is most important is the scale...all of us are good at drawing maps but we're not all good at designing a pub with all the doohickys that go inside...heck it took me 5 hours once just to do up a nice table whereas I can do a whole continent in 2 hours. So for me, I'll join in on the bigger stuff and forgo software specific stuff like dungeons.

I think you have a point here, one that applies to me as well. I draw and paint maps, so dungeons take me more time to do than overland maps, because the latter is WAY easier to simply draw or paint.
Though for me it's also that I just love overland, regional and continental mapping waaaay more than drawing dungeons and buildings :)

So yeah, I should've joined this month, but let's just say I had other stuff on my mind, that distracted me from this :). That said, I haven't joined ANY challenge since I first signed up, mostly because of those distracting things, so I may not be the best person to comment on challenges :P

RPMiller
09-27-2008, 01:30 PM
To all the CLs: Based on the input from this thread it looks like we are solidly on the right track regarding our discussions. That is very pleasing.

To all members: Keep the comments coming, this is really great stuff and extremely useful to our endeavors. You should be fairly pleased by what we have planned for this next challenge so make sure to get your mouses (or is that mice?) warmed up and new nibs on your styluses because if the above is suggesting what I think it is, I expect another great turn out for this next challenge. (please don't prove me wrong ;) )

Finally, a question: Would you all be interested in a forum for challenge suggestions? One of the things that the CLs run into is keeping up on challenge ideas and coming up with ideas that will truly inspire great turnout. Based on your feedback above it sounds like you all have some ideas that you would like to see. What we could do is start a Members Monthly Challenges Suggestions forum and everyone can post threads there and discuss possible challenge ideas. If each thread is started with a Yes/No poll, everyone can then vote anonymously whether they like the idea or not and at the end of the month we'll take the current leading thread (highest number of Yes - No votes) as the next challenge. This will not happen every month though as we have some other stuff in the hopper for the future, but more on that... in the future. What do you all think? The idea here is that you the members will have much more say in what the challenges are, and thus we'll have a higher turn out, and it will lighten the load on the CLs a bit. So it will be a win/win. Thoughts?

Gamerprinter
09-27-2008, 01:40 PM
I think a forum dedicated to Polls of Challenge ideas - is a great idea. I have in the past PM'd Arcana to ideas for challenges, but I think a public suggestion box and voting tool, would go far to keep interests high, giving users a collaborative way to gear the direction to where they want to go.

I'm all for that!

GP

Jkaen
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't suggest any ideas, but if it helps you guys i see no reason hot to do it

robb75067
09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
As a veteran member for all of 3 days, I was really excited to see the Map Challenge. I have every intention of entering the next month's event although I am completely with the OP and do not expect to win. Most everything I create is about the journey and not the end result. If I draw something I'm proud of I typically leave it on my desk for a few days and then crumple it into a ball and throw it in the trash. Most of the photoshop work I do gets filed somewhere and never viewed again. The Map Challenge adds a bit of purpose to the journey.