PDA

View Full Version : ***September Challenge Voting***

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 09:41 AM
September's Monthly Challenge (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2855) is at an end and the time to vote has arrived.

We will be implementing a system of votes based on the 1/5 the number of entries. So this month we have 29 entries, so you can vote for five (5) maps. The poll is open, so everyone will be able to see the voting. The Guild thanks you for you patronage and votes as well as wishes all of the entrants a hearty GOOD LUCK!
The thumbnail view, courtesy of RedRobes, is located here:

September 08 Thumbnails (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Sep08.htm)

This month's Rules & Guidelines:

We have produced a map attached below which could use some improvement (it was drawn by RobA after all). Your challenge is to translate the attached map into your very own style. Change the colours, symbols and text and make this map your own. Make it 3d, or draw it on paper: intricate or simple - it is up to you.

By way of explanation:

The big magenta hexagon is a city
The small magenta hexagons are towns
The greeny yellow smudges are marshes
The bright green smudges are forests
The pointy lines are mountains
The rounded lines are hills
The blue lines are rivers

North is at about 11 o'clock.
Each edge of the map is 100 miles.

We would like voters to vote for the map which has the most individual style in which all the elements of the map work together to form a pleasing whole. As this contest is about individuality, all contestants should list with their map any elements used which were not created by them.--Entry Notes--
The following aren't on the poll because they either dropped out or their last posted entry was clearly incomplete.
•Trasgarian tears --- Morshwan
•Contour Crazy --- Redrobes
•The Saga of Oath-Bound Men --- Lord
•First Time --- bryguy

•an undersea map --- alucard339 (as of this edit) this map isn't on the thumbnail page.... so I've provided a link here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3003

industrygothica
09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Well that just figures.. I got my map posted literally one minute too late. Bah!

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah! First vote! Whoo hoo... Waiting to see just how many people vote this month considering the number of entries...

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Man I hope I didn't screw that poll up
.. or people are gonna be PEEved at me

Valarian
09-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Voted for the five entries who I felt had the most individual style. One thing I've noted this month is that a lot of the Photoshop maps, while being extremely good, ended up being fairly similar. That can count against the voting this month as we scoring individual style.

See Ravs, it's not just Campaign Cartographer maps that can become similar :D

It's going to be interesting to see what a five vote spread'll do to the figures.

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Well that just figures.. I got my map posted literally one minute too late. Bah!
Sorry Gothica :(

industrygothica
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Sorry Gothica :(

Eh.. that's what I get for waiting until the last minute and trying to rush to get an entry in. Would have made it, too, if I didn't have to take the kid to school. ;)

-IG

Jkaen
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Interesting to see so far (only 5 votes in admitedly) there hasn't emerged a clear favourite yet

Aera Lure
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
That was a tough vote. I too tried to focus on style, but so many deserved attention. Hats off to everyone who entered.

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Bummer Del, I guess my subliminal message in the marshes must have been too obscure to read...;)

RPMiller
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow. Even with 5 votes that was hard.

NeonKnight
09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I wanted to make two more votes :(

mmmmmpig
09-26-2008, 12:04 PM
too many good entries. that vote was a tough one

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 02:01 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many good maps on this one, and just not enough votes... honestly I could have used like 4 more, hell, I'd vote for all of you if I could, but as it stands, I had to make my choices.
My votes were:
GP--- You got my first vote. straight up a excellent hand drawn nature, good color, good flavor and nice text along with the added information in the map made this my first choice. The bonus content was excellent of course, and you a true workhorse.
5mpig--- Just a great idea, but not only that, deftly and smartly executed. It was nice to look at and just an overall great map.
Jojo--coloring, the unique style of the flora and fauna really turned me on to this map, and.. ya know, I like the way ya tipped it on its side, that is a true mark of genius there :D also loved the texture of the ocean...
Rav--- Love it, love it, love it. Like the texturing, the ambiance, the coloring .... all of it. This map just made me want to climb into your brain and put that knowledge in my head and do what you do :D
NK--- Ya know I love handdrawn, and this was a truly excellent handdrawn and colored map that your choice of Aztec Flavor only enhanced and beautified. KUDO'S...

Arcana
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I am decidedly the dumbest admin ever...I voted for 3 instead of 5...I suck, and I am ready for my flogging.

RPMiller
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I am decidedly the dumbest admin ever...I voted for 3 instead of 5...I suck, and I am ready for my flogging.
Naw, you like them too much. ;)

Azhrei
09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
<lurker_mode_off>

Wow. Just "wow". These are some truly excellent maps!

I am also thrilled with the map turned on its side (Jojo's). I can see myself using that map, along with one of the others, as separate handouts for players and not telling them they are the same area! It'll be great to hear their reactions when they realize it. :)

I also like some of the well done maps that are not overdone, if you know what I mean? I like maps without city names so that I can provide my own, for example. So my voting went along those lines. I thought the glyphs along the side of Neon's entry were great!

Overall there were some very imaginative entries. I'll be back!

delgondahntelius
09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I overvoted last month, so maybe that kinda evens it out... :D

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
<lurker_mode_off>

Wow. Just "wow". These are some truly excellent maps!

I am also thrilled with the map turned on its side (Jojo's). I can see myself using that map, along with one of the others, as separate handouts for players and not telling them they are the same area! It'll be great to hear their reactions when they realize it. :)

I also like some of the well done maps that are not overdone, if you know what I mean? I like maps without city names so that I can provide my own, for example. So my voting went along those lines. I thought the glyphs along the side of Neon's entry were great!

Overall there were some very imaginative entries. I'll be back!

Thank ye!!! I noticed you only voted for 1 entry though. :(

If anyone is interested, I posted a barebones version over on RPGMapShare along with the original, that way anyone who does not like my rather warped naming scheme can just use the map as is without fluff.

Patrakis
09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
This is a really nice experience, participating in a challenge like that. I'm sure i'll repeat the experience. By the way, thank you very much to the 2 voters who found my map worthy :) The competition was very impressive.

Good luck to all

Oh and how do we see who voted for who. It seems implied that we can? (forget it..i just found out :))

jfrazierjr
09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
This is a really nice experience, participating in a challenge like that. I'm sure i'll repeat the experience. By the way, thank you very much to the 2 voters who found my map worthy :) The competition was very impressive.

Good luck to all

Oh and how do we see who voted for who. It seems implied that we can?

Click on one of the numbers of votes.

Redstar
09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, I didn't get a chance to come back and touch up the map before voting began, but I had a great time with this challenge! Great maps everyone!

Sagenlicht
09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Hmm so here my 5 votes go to and why (in no particular order):

- Delgo cause I really like his handdrawn map
- Ravels cause I like the way he did his forests and mountains
- Redstar cause his icy version is really nice though the foresdt could be even better Red ;)
- Nemo cause its a great map :)
- Dorpond cause its really well done maybe the rivers are a bit too shiny but in the end great map

Runner up was GP, I just mention it cause I thought we maybe will have 6 votes so I picked 6 maps I would vote for.

It was a nice challenge with great entries, more than we could vote for :)

mogul76
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Excellent entries indeed, making voting a nice but tough "job" :P

Redrobes
09-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, got that Alucard thumbnail up.

With the voting tho there are 29 entries and 25 options to vote for. In fact I am definitely not going to win this month.... because I am not a voting option !

The poll seems to have a 25 option max on it. So who are the other three who wont be getting any ?

EDIT -- never mind - I have read the OP fully...

waldronate
09-27-2008, 12:30 AM
If you do need to pull an entry, feel free to pull mine. It wasn't finished.

nemojbatkastle
09-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Ah democracy.

Who and why:

Steel Gen, because a Dune type world brings back all kinds of wonderful memories and I've never seen one before.

Torq, because it draws you in with it's subtleties and beautiful details, and because the way he did it is a direction I would like to go in with my map-making.

Neonknight, hand-drawn with aztec symbols? Enough said.

Ghostman, because it is a very simple and all the elements balance very nicely. I had a lot of trouble trying to not overdo the textbook style of my map, and I did anyhow. His is immaculate. Also I know what a despotate is and enjoy the reference (next time you should do a Serene Republic).

And the Gameprinter, because I scanned every inch of his map for way too long, then cried tears of inadequacy while balled up in the fetal position in my shower.

Tough calls, all the maps are fantastic.

Also it bears to mention this was a lot of fun to do, and I really enjoyed the feedback I received. I wait with baited breath for the next contest.

bryguy
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
just wondering, but why wasnt my entry put up?

delgondahntelius
09-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess I did it again .. sorry bry.... I was under the impression that you hadn't finished it before you got called off... my apologies... and we all know who won't be posting up voting challenges again anytime in the near or far future....

I had 25 spots left... and their were 29 entries... I cut four based on my (false) assumption that those four either quit or were incomplete....

I'm going to go stuff my head in the microwave now...I do apologize if your map was completed and I mis read or mis understood the situation .... I'll see what I can do to try to rectify the situation.

Arcana
09-27-2008, 07:42 PM
since I live in florida, and am used to this sorta thing (pregnant chads and all) I'm going to close this poll and strong-arm delgon into reposting it ;) I'd MUCH rather have this done right and without any leave-outs than have even ONE member feel slighted by being left out.

It was an honest mistake, and we're going to make an honest attempt at rectifying it.