PDA

View Full Version : ***September Challenge Voting*** REVOTE

delgondahntelius
09-27-2008, 08:16 PM
September's Monthly Challenge (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2855) Has been set up for a REVOTE. Because of the previous limitation on the number of entries that could be put in one poll, I omitted entries that should not have been omitted. I apologize to those that were left out. PLEASE VOTE AGAIN based on these new entries, plus we decided since industrygothica was soooo close to the deadline to let him in. His thread can be found here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3010 so he won't be in the thumbnails yet.

We will be implementing a system of votes based on the 1/5 the number of entries. So this month we have 30 entries, so you can vote for six (6) maps. The poll is open, so everyone will be able to see the voting. The Guild thanks you for you patronage and votes as well as wishes all of the entrants a hearty GOOD LUCK!
The thumbnail view, courtesy of RedRobes, is located here:

September 08 Thumbnails (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Sep08.htm)

This month's Rules & Guidelines:

We have produced a map attached below which could use some improvement (it was drawn by RobA after all). Your challenge is to translate the attached map into your very own style. Change the colours, symbols and text and make this map your own. Make it 3d, or draw it on paper: intricate or simple - it is up to you.

By way of explanation:

The big magenta hexagon is a city
The small magenta hexagons are towns
The greeny yellow smudges are marshes
The bright green smudges are forests
The pointy lines are mountains
The rounded lines are hills
The blue lines are rivers

North is at about 11 o'clock.
Each edge of the map is 100 miles.

We would like voters to vote for the map which has the most individual style in which all the elements of the map work together to form a pleasing whole. As this contest is about individuality, all contestants should list with their map any elements used which were not created by them.

Ghostman
09-28-2008, 05:18 AM
Wow, even with 6 votes to use it's so hard to choose :o

Good thing that industrygothica was allowed in, his map is great and got one of my votes.

Korrigan
09-28-2008, 09:10 AM
My votes are placed (how hard to choose !). I am now waiting for the next challenge, which I will surely have time to attend !

RPMiller
09-28-2008, 12:43 PM
It will be interesting to see if the voting remains the same from the previous voting. I am curious if people will be influenced by previous comments.

NeonKnight
09-28-2008, 02:26 PM
My votes have not changed from what they were before, but this time I did vote for RPMIller. I liked his Hex Style, but just did not have enough love to spread around last time ;)

Sagenlicht
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
It will be interesting to see if the voting remains the same from the previous voting. I am curious if people will be influenced by previous comments.

I voted exactly the same way and added as allready mentioned GP as my 6th vote :)

But its interesting for sure :)

delgondahntelius
09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
My voting stayed the same as well... and added Torq as my sixth vote :D

ravells
09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I added Torq too, otherwise the same.

RPMiller
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
My votes have not changed from what they were before, but this time I did vote for RPMIller. I liked his Hex Style, but just did not have enough love to spread around last time ;)
Wow! Thanks, and to think I didn't even enter. ;) :lol: :D

Gamerprinter
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I was reluctant to post a response in this thread, as I was feeling guilty that, Mmmmmpig was beating me so soundly in the last vote, and I was ahead of him in this second vote. Now that he's surpassed me again, I feel content. :P

The only difference to my vote, was I added JFrazierJr's Broken Coast as my number six map.

I only hope those who voted in the first bout return and vote again.

GP

Ascension
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess it's only natural but my votes lean towards the style that I like to do myself...satellite-esque, so my votes stayed the same but I added Delgo 'cuz I loves me some old school ink.

mmmmmpig
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
I was reluctant to post a response in this thread, as I was feeling guilty that, Mmmmmpig was beating me so soundly in the last vote, and I was ahead of him in this second vote. Now that he's surpassed me again, I feel content. :P

The only difference to my vote, was I added JFrazierJr's Broken Coast as my number six map.

I only hope those who voted in the first bout return and vote again.

GP

GP, No worries, there are a boatload of entries that could and should win this month... why I can think of 6. Actually I was forced to only choose 6, there are more than 6 that would individually win most months' challenges.

Anyhoo... this was a fun challenge and made me work with a technique that I haven't even thought about before, but I do kinda wish the old poll was the official one :D

megrim
09-29-2008, 01:59 AM
damn... ive been away for a while i would have participated on this one

Steel General
09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
damn... ive been away for a while i would have participated on this one

Well the October Challenge will be starting soon, jump in on that one (whatever it may be)

Midgardsormr
09-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Though I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to participate this month, I really enjoyed watching the challenge unfold. It was hard, hard, hard to whittle down my choices to six! GP and Torq were "gimme's," but after that it came down to nit-picking. Both of those maps are very complete and have distinct character

Although Valarian is "Artistically Challenged," his map is a superb example of CC3 output, and it is one of the most finished of the entries, with good labels, compass, scale bar, and neatline. Granted, those things are easy to do in CC3, but they still give the map the extra polish it needed to push it over the top for me.

Ravells' entry is a very good representation of his typical style, and the speed-paint was impressive to me. I also like the "imaginative" names.

I just finished reading a well-illustrated book about Maya ruins, and NeonKnight nailed those glyphs. Very authentic-looking! His map is also one of the more inventive offerings.

My final vote went to jezelf for that great terrain, though perhaps any prize should be shared with Waldronate, since that map could not have been done without Wilbur.

dorpond, nemojbatkastle, and industrygothica also greatly impressed me, and it was a struggle to eliminate any of them.

NeonKnight
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
wow! Thanks, and to think i didn't even enter. ;) :lol: :d

tooo

many

robbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

delgondahntelius
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Not everyone is voting with six votes... :( some people are still voting once ....

Redrobes
09-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I voted for my six:
Redstar cos it looked great and was an inspired idea to go with snow.
Patrakis cos I liked the clean cartoony style this time.
RobA's was very brave and novel
mmmmmmmmmpig's was cool but I still reckon even more welly on the cyan !
jfraz map was just a good effort
and jezzers map looked good this time with exquisite mountains going on.

Rather pleased with my current two votes. Thanks jez but also makeit3D - now how the devil are you and stop lurking this instant !!! Are you done with your D-Day landings now and onto new pastures ?

ravells
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
90 Voters!!! Wow where did they all come from!!!! I'm so happy our monthly challenge is getting the attention it deserves!

loydb
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
The whole site seems to have hit a creative critical mass of some kind. I really try to look at every posted map thread, but it's overwhelming these days ... :)

Robbie
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
coming soon...world domination!

delgondahntelius
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
So... Map the world like CG took it over ... what would it look like?? :D lol

I want to own New Zealand... you always win when you won new zealand...

RobA
09-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Certainly was a tough vote this month! I could have used another half dozen votes to pass around :P

-Rob A>

delgondahntelius
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
go ahead, I'm sure those that only used one vote won't mind you taking theirs :D

Gamerprinter
09-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Congrats, Del, on your new award! ROFL, j/k. :lol:

GP

mmmmmpig
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
any takers on the vote going triple digits?

Gamerprinter
09-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Its slowing down, but we've got 3 days left, and sitting at 95 voters at the moment. There a few who voted in the first round, that haven't voted again this round. I'd be surprised if we didn't get 5+ more votes in that time.

GP

mmmmmpig
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Thinking about it, I should have asked if there were any takers of it not breaking the century mark

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Congrats, Del, on your new award! ROFL, j/k. :lol:

GP

Ya. We are considering to let award be given out like the Dirk Award, where the previous recepient gets to name who gets the award...

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone screwing up as bad or worse than me, so I might be holding on to it for a while... LOL :D

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 05:20 AM
wow... I was neck and neck with you guys till about ... vote 38.... now I'm eating the proverbial dust.... but it looks like this one might get kinda close.... :D ....still interesting enough to warrant a check more than three times a day :D

mmmmmpig
09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
1 more voter and this thing hits the triple digits... there has to be someone else who needs to vote!

Jkaen
09-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Somebody did it, we have hit 100

Redrobes
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes and only seven votes between the first three.

With 100+ samples, it will be interesting to see the votes ordered at the end to see how close to a gaussian bell curve we get. If it is then I think we can say that the multiple vote system of about 1 vote per 5 is working to about the best we can expect.

Hussar
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
If I could make a suggestion.

The Thumbnails page is great. Really lets you look at the maps. Only problem is, when you click on the thumb, it takes you to the first page of the thread. Then, you have to hunt through the thread to actually find the final image, then you can see the large sized image.

Would it be possible for the Thumbnail links page to link directly to the final image? If not, I suggest that a Final Burning thread be made where each map could be displayed. I know that's how they do it at conceptart.org. Makes navigation a lot easier.

Fan freaking tastic maps though this time. Great stuff.

Gamerprinter
09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
If I could make a suggestion.

The Thumbnails page is great. Really lets you look at the maps. Only problem is, when you click on the thumb, it takes you to the first page of the thread. Then, you have to hunt through the thread to actually find the final image, then you can see the large sized image.

Azhrei and a couple other users at RPTools made this exact comment - after viewing the started of a thread linked from the thumbnail, they didn't feel compelled to search the entire thread to find the final maps. In fact Azhrei, voted in both the vote and revote. During the vote, he searched through the threads, but during the revote, he tried to remember who he voted last time and settled for only his top 3 picks - because he didn't want to wade through the maps threads again.

I think Hussar, brings up an important issue, that we need to resolve.

GP

Redrobes
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
It would not be difficult at all to link the image on the thumb page to the image that it used to generate it. But it would be hard to link it to the thread at the point where the image was taken. The thing is that this script is just a straight search and compare thing, it knows nothing about the structure of the page. It wouldnt care if these images were part of any other type of web page. So it doesnt keep track of the forum post number and stuff like that.

What ill do is change it so that the name of the person links to the thread start and the image to the full size one it used to get the thumbnail of. Howz that ?

Actually I ought to make the script multi page aware too. If the image is past the first 50 posts then it doesnt snag it. Ill fix that up too.

Arcana was asking whether we could have thumbs of challenges before the script came into play. It could easily be done but it needs the entrants list being put together for each month prior to about April 08. Anyone fancy doing that too ?

Redrobes
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Done (at least the linking bit...) - let me know if that helps.

Edit -- actually I think thats great but it does mean that its more important than ever that it gets the right image if its being used as the portal to the entry. The idea was always to review the thread and look at the text and pics etc but this kinda bypasses that now. So mail me if you think its not the right image or dont beat me up over it. The script (and my ability to keep up with late entries...) is not infallible !

RobA
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
If not, I suggest that a Final Burning thread be made where each map could be displayed. I know that's how they do it at conceptart.org. Makes navigation a lot easier.

We have had this discussion in the CL forum and never reached a decision before the vote was called.

Rob A.

Valarian
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Redrobes, would there be any way to get the script to build a "single post" string from the tag?
e.g. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=33303&postcount=36
This would bring up the post that has the image. The thread could then be accessed from the link in the single post view.

Valarian
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Anyone else noticed that 104 votes doesn't go in to 6?

robb75067
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Anyone else noticed that 104 votes doesn't go in to 6?

It's 104 voters. Should be about 600 votes assuming not everyone voted the max of 6.

Gamerprinter
09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Roughly about half the voters voted 3 or less, and not 6 at all. There's a whole slough of 1 vote only voters in this challenge for some reason.

GP

Valarian
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
It's 104 voters. Should be about 600 votes assuming not everyone voted the max of 6.
That's depressing ... I was getting quite excited about getting 10 votes until you pointed that out. ;)

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes... but this was expected. 596 out 636 votes ain't too bad :D

ravells
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm over the moon!

Thank you everyone for voting!!!!

mmmmmpig
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
the stats at the bottom of the main page state that there are currently "722 active members." 106 and counting of 730 (in case more folk join up)is a pretty tidy return on voting.

jezelf
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
votes are looking good

One thing about this challenge is that it's more than style - people have chosen different themes.

The lead runners have chosen different styles AND themes (eg: pirates, space) and it's interesting how that is effecting the votes.

great turn out all over.

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
That is one aspect that I have always tried to push. Don't specify theme. I personally prefer more non fantasy stuff since the fantasy stuff is so common place. I'm glad to see that there is interest in other genres as well.

mmmmmpig
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
think we will make it to 110 votes? only 2 more...

hey, 2 of you who haven't voted. Yeah, you two. Vote. You know you wanna

mmmmmpig
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
120 before it's all over?

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Well ... SEPTEMBER'S CHALLENGE WINNER IS: ....A whopping 68 Votes:

GamerPrinter and his map Archean League, Congratulation GP ... Great map and a good Month for everyone involved.

Thank you for the participation this month everyone ... And a really big thanks to everyone who stopped by and voted.

WOOT!!

Gamerprinter
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks, everyone on the best competition I've ever been involved with at the guild. The competition was stiff, and its the highest quality entries I've witnessed especially for so many entries - the most we've ever had!

The fact that there were so many voters truly made this an exciting event. I hope to compete with every one of you again, soon!

I'm humbled by the company of cartographers the guild is becoming. I hope the new members from AH join in the fun, to make the next challenges even more exciting.

Thank you everyone!

GP

mmmmmpig
10-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Congrats GP on a well deserved win!

RPMiller
10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I was very pleased to see that every entry got at least one vote. That should show everyone that there is nothing to worry about and to go ahead and throw those entries up. :)

waldronate
10-03-2008, 01:28 AM
As winner in the "least votes" category, I am proud to accept my reward! I was one vote away from a clean sweep, sadly. :D

delgondahntelius
10-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Congrats GP, What a great challenge this month.... I was happy to see pen and ink in the top five... especially with so many great color entries... I would have voted for everyone if I could have... And the voting was really fun to watch as well.. I don't think I've ever checked a thread as much as I did this one over the past 5 days...

Oh... and I apologize again for the re-vote.... can't say I hope that happens again ... was not fun at all... so sorry guys and gals, won't happen again... not because of me anyway :D

ravells
10-03-2008, 03:21 AM
A great entry and a well deserved win, GP - congratulations!!

Sagenlicht
10-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Congratulation GP, it was a great challenge :)

Jkaen
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Congratulations GP

Steel General
10-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Congrats GP! A hard fought, but well-deserved victory :D

Torq
10-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Congrats GP. Great map and backstory too.

Torq

Redrobes
10-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Congrats to GP and all those who entered for making this our best challenge so far. Torq and m^5pig's entries close behind too. Never mind Waldronate you 'beat' me by 1 vote. Us "ind pros" should stick together - right down at the bottom hah hah. Always another month eh...

Pretty good spread I reckon.

RPMiller
10-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Redrobes! That is a great chart and shows that the multivoting is actually giving a pretty decent curve.

NeonKnight
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanx to all!

Good Job Gameprinter!

delgondahntelius
10-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm guessing noone noticed that I used some of the more frequent members names as anagrams in my map? .... namely the rivers... I thought for sure someone would catch that...