PDA

View Full Version : Post-apocalyptic Europe map

Kuraru
09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope this is where I should post this...

This is, in my opinion, the best map I have made. It's set in a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk world. Stories say that civilisation collapsed when it became too decadent, and the Sky Father's minions, the Fey Folk, cleansed the sinners with righteous light and flame. The World Before was torn apart in order to make way for World After. It's now 557 W.A., and the nation of Bretannya is making quite a stir in Orope.

Here's the full explanation of the map:

"Bretannya's recent acceptance into the WSCDO is highly signification in contemporary international politics. It shows Bretannya's shift from a peaceful trading nation, to a more powerful nation willing to intervene overseas in order to protect its trade.

Because of this new wave of interventionism in Bretannya, formerly weak alliances and multilateral defence pacts, namely the WSCDO and the Krimya Pact, have found themselves with the support of one of Orope's rising economic and military powers, and have grown significantly since Bretannya's inclusion in their organisations.

Whilst their joining of the Krimya Pact has gone mostly unnoticed (primarily because Bretannya practically has a monopoly on trade from the Blak Sea and so no other nations have major assets in that area) their joining of the Western Central Sea Defence Organisation has caused a significant ruckus.

The primary reason for this is the fact that the United Republic of Sardeenya and Sisili is a member of the WSCDO. The nation of Sardeenya and Sisili in itself is a miracle, Sardeenya is heavily Ispani, whilst Sisisli is completely Eslamist. However, the two islands found similarities in their Yitalan cultures and language, and so, in an increasingly hostile climate, with both Yitala and Venez [now Venez and Kalabra] setting out on crusades to unite all of Yitala, the two islands decided to unite in order to prevent one of them being annexed by the yitalan powers.

But with Bretannya allied with them there is no chance of either yitalan powers, or Tunasa (which has recently been calling for Sisili's independence) invading the nation without a massive war with several powerful nations.

After Bretannya's acceptance into the WSCDO, Yitala, surprisingly, applied to join. Whilst the other yitalan nations would have usually rejected Yitala outright, but the Bretannyan delegate argued that if they had a mutual defence pact with Yitala then they would never have to live in fear of a Yitalan invasion. Seeing the logic in this, and understanding that Bretannya was essentially guaranteeing their independence, the other members of the WSCDO agreed to Yitala's inclusion.

This created Orope's first major alliance and defence pact network. Bretannya was part of the United Northern Pact, a multilateral defence pact between major je manni nations, well before it even became notable in power, and now, with its membership in the WSCDO, a yitalan-je manni axis has been created, and Bretannya's notability has sky rocketed.

The number of nations Bretannya has alliances and defence pacts with is unprecedented, but no nation stays so powerful for long."

Gamerprinter
09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Nice map, it reminds me of my October Challenge Map, Archean League - in that the ocean is not blue, so all the information there can be better seen. Plus nice backstory on your alternate history!

Have some "Rep" on a map well done!

GP

mmmmmpig
09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I really like the incongruity of there being a map made in a future that has such an old style. That is one tight map!

A little Rep is coming your way

now make a new map and show it to us!

Ascension
09-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Oooo very nice, reminds of turn of the century stuff (early 20th century that is).

Kuraru
09-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks, guys!

I really like the incongruity of there being a map made in a future that has such an old style.

It's because humanity has reverted to an earlier age of technology. That's what happens when the USA gets literally nuked back to the stone age.

now make a new map and show it to us!

Why make a new map when I have about ten more I've yet to show you?

Maybe I should just link to my deviantart, all my maps are on there...

jezelf
09-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Interesting and looking good however, I cant see a key for the pink and brown areas. It's also difficult to read the black text over the darker colours.

What about the rest of the UK- N/Ireland, Scotland as well as Iceland , Norway, Sweden and Finland? They are part of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe) too. The top of Africa isn't part of Europe either, it's part of ...er..Africa. - or is all this a new identity of Europe? Sorry, I tried reading through the explanation, but it was a bit too deep for my lunchtime break :?

The region you have selected is more similar to the Roman Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Roman_Empire_map.svg) than Europe (which is just a observation than any crit )

Steel General
09-29-2008, 08:48 AM
It's a great map, and I can only be nit-picky about one thing, and that is the text is extremely hard for me to read.

Now having said that, it might just be that my eyes are bad (I'm old :D).

Kuraru
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Interesting and looking good however, I cant see a key for the pink and brown areas.

Ah, well, pink is Bretannya, as it's a map of Bretannya's international relations. Brown areas are not nations, they are sparsely populated by nomads and heretical warlords.

It's also difficult to read the black text over the darker colours.

It's a great map, and I can only be nit-picky about one thing, and that is the text is extremely hard for me to read.

Now having said that, it might just be that my eyes are bad (I'm old :D).

You're both old and blind. :P

Seriously though, it looks perfectly easy to read to me, I don't know why it doesn't to you. If you have particular difficulty reading any one bit then ask me and I'll tell you what it says.

What about the rest of the UK- N/Ireland, Scotland as well as Iceland , Norway, Sweden and Finland? They are part of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe) too.

They're all sparsely inhabited or are only made up of tiny, unrecognised pirate states.

The top of Africa isn't part of Europe either, it's part of ...er..Africa. - or is all this a new identity of Europe? Sorry, I tried reading through the explanation, but it was a bit too deep for my lunchtime break :?

The region you have selected is more similar to the Roman Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Roman_Empire_map.svg) than Europe (which is just a observation than any crit )

Orope [Europe] has come to mean what we know as Europe in addition to all nations that border the Central Sea [Mediterranean Sea].

Oh, and, if I want to post more maps, should I just post them in thist thread or should I make a new thread for them?

Ascension
09-29-2008, 04:51 PM
I get this darkness stuff all the time so don't be too worried over it. Evidently you and I both have our monitor setup brighter than most so that everything looks good (to us) but others can't see. What I do to fix that is to put a solid layer of white over top of everything, reduce the opacity to 50% or so, then set the blending mode to soft light. In the end it's much easier for me to do that than to tell everyone that their monitors are too dark ;) Keep up the good work.

loydb
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
The text is hard to read for me as well. A small, tight, pale yellow glow outlining the black text would work better IMO.

Great map though, looks like an interesting world.

Kuraru
10-02-2008, 04:45 AM
The text is hard to read for me as well. A small, tight, pale yellow glow outlining the black text would work better IMO.

I don't know how to do that, I'm not that good!

Plus, I think it would destroy the look of the map. It's meant to look like a real map made with Victorian/WW1 era technology, not futuristic with glowing letters.

Great map though, looks like an interesting world.

Thank you!

torstan
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Nice map indeed. I agree about the text though. The background could do with being lighter so that the text is a little easier to read. That would keep the concept of a hand drawn map but make it a little easier on the eye.

Have some rep!

Kuraru
10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Hopefully this map will be easier to read for the blind ones among you. :P

This is part of a small poster which is issued by the Institute for the Study of Other Timelines [I.S.O.T., an AH.com in-joke which you won't get, but nevermind], an organisation dedicated to the study of alternate worlds using their timestream jumping and time travel technology [also teleportation, in order to ensure that their Agents appear in exactly the right place and not in the middle of a crowd of people].

The Institute's general procedure for when they find a new timeline is to assess whether it has been/is being/will be tampered with [time travel messes up the tenses a bit]. If it has been/is being/will be/whatever tampered with then they try to stop it. If they determine that they can't find who has/whatever tampered with it then they lock that timeline off, occasionally doing extra sweeps for interference in case more evidence presents itself.

If the timeline hasn't been interfered with or they can stop any form of interference then they study the timeline for a bit, determine the current situation of the world, analyse key differences between this history and our own, and try to pin the exact point of divergence within a certain century.

The timeline is then assessed as to whether it's important in anyway, some sort of unique/relatively unique features may be enough to have the timeline be open to study, generally timelines with history close to our own are open for study in order for the Institute to better understand our own reality.

Some especcially important timelines are open for active study, i.e. the Institute is actively sending in research teams in order to learn more, whereas timelines that are open for study aren't being actively investigated, but teams are occasionally sent in when the Institute doesn't really have much else to do.

The poster of which this is a piece of is part of an introductory package given to prospective Agents who need to do a great deal of case studies and essays on various timelines and areas of history [they are never actually allowed into a timeline, though]. The timeline described in this poster is Timeline 181, a timestream which is under active study, and so it has the greatest amount of information recorded about it.

The specific point of divergence of the Timeline 181 is not known, but their history is quite similar to our own and appears to work on the same principles [as opposed to history in other timelines which seem to make no sense at the first glance], this world has diverged from ours and yet has resulted in a reasonably similar result, so it is a good timeline to study in order to better understand our own reality. It's also not as complicated as some alternate realities, so it makes a relatively easy case study for prospective Agents.

Anyway, enough of me waffling, here's the map. I intend to finish the rest of the poster, one day...

waverlyt
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I like the color scheme and texture of your first map, but I also have a hard time reading the text.

I don't know that it's a question of the image being too dark; I think it's more a question of contrast. You're using black text over bold, highly saturated colors, and, especially over coastlines, it becomes difficult to "see" the edges of the letters.

I can think of two things that might work for you, if you're inclined:

If you're not particularly attached to the text being black, changing it to another color, as long as it's not one of the colors used under the text of course, would significantly increase the readability.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the black text, you could outline the text in a contrasting color; white would probably be best. Even a one-pixel-wide outline would help the text stand out against the things going on behind it.

Your second map is very cool. I like the flags as the fill for the different areas, though some of the busier ones obfuscate the borders of the countries. If the flag fills are on different layers, you might try lowering their opacity slightly.

Great maps all around!

RobA
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
This talk of timelines reminded me of this little work of fiction:

http://www.abyssandapex.com/200710-wikihistory.html

Enjoy!

-Rob A>

Kuraru
10-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Another map involving Timeline-181 from the Institute, from a rather worn-looking library book.

Kuraru
10-14-2008, 01:22 PM
"The Institute would like to issue a warning to all Agents, prospective, Senior or ordinary, and all other employees to not remove important ISOT informative posters and announcements from the walls upon which they are displayed. People found doing this may be subject to a fine of up to £100. Prospective Agents found doing this may face being kicked off their course of learning. Repeated offences may result in reduced pay or termination of employment for any employee.

We understand that it is only a small number of you doing this, and ask the orderly amongst you to be vigilant in stopping this problem."

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
"The Institute would like to issue a warning to all Agents, prospective, Senior or ordinary, and all other employees to not remove important ISOT informative posters and announcements from the walls upon which they are displayed. People found doing this may be subject to a fine of up to £100. Prospective Agents found doing this may face being kicked off their course of learning. Repeated offences may result in reduced pay or termination of employment for any employee.

We understand that it is only a small number of you doing this, and ask the orderly amongst you to be vigilant in stopping this problem."

That's sweet. My only suggesting would be perhaps a tiny bevel or even perhaps a stroked line around the poster border to make it stand out from the wall it's posted on. Neat Idea!

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, one other tiny nit to pick if you wanna fix it. Your two pushpins have the light coming from the center instead of the picture, ie the highlights of the 3D pushpins seem to have different light sources. Might want to rotate one or the other so the they have generally the same light source. This is assuming that the light source is not coming from being directly shined onto the poster itself from a source lower than the poster.

Kuraru
10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
How about this?

PokealypseNow
10-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I hope this is where I should post this...

This is, in my opinion, the best map I have made. It's set in a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk world. Stories say that civilisation collapsed when it became too decadent, and the Sky Father's minions, the Fey Folk, cleansed the sinners with righteous light and flame. The World Before was torn apart in order to make way for World After. It's now 557 W.A., and the nation of Bretannya is making quite a stir in Orope.

I really like the concept of the map and the general look and feel.

My chief concern is that the blank typeface is really hard to read in some places when it overlaps a nation in a dark color.

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
How about this?

Yep. The darker border makes it stand out as separate from the wood texture, and the change to make the push pins have the light come from above is a good call.

Kuraru
10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Another map I made a while ago. It's of the United Kingdom of the German Nation's colonies in Africa from TL-181, currently under active investigation by the Institute.

joćo paulo
10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
this is great! You have a version in jpg? Firefox has problems with PNG.

RobA
10-29-2008, 11:29 AM

No problems with firefox 2 or 3 for me here.

-Rob A>

Kuraru
10-29-2008, 09:28 PM

JPG is pure evil, PNG better preserves the quality of the image. Though I suppose I could make a JPG version, if you insist.

joćo paulo
10-30-2008, 07:54 AM
No problems with firefox 2 or 3 for me here.

-Rob A>

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 3P_UPCPC/1.0.20.1 Firefox/3.0.3

Though I suppose I could make a JPG version, if you insist.

Thank you for your attention.

continue with this incredible work8)