PDA

View Full Version : Tianxia: World Under Heaven (WIP)

arkham618
09-29-2008, 02:46 AM
A map created for a fantasy wuxia PBP. Still have to add a location key and decide on the scale.

Wish there was a method to produce more ridgelike mountains without having to go in and painstakingly draw them, but that seems to be the only way.

delgondahntelius
09-29-2008, 04:11 AM
You can add your image as an attachment to your post .. which creates a thumbnail and will link to the bigger map. You can Edit> Go advanced> click on the paperclip icon and then add your image... cuts down on load times for those with slow connections and especially for larger images keeps everything in the screen for the viewers.

I like the map. What did you use to make this? PS or Gimp? ...

arkham618
09-29-2008, 04:21 AM
You can add your image as an attachment to your post .. which creates a thumbnail and will link to the bigger map. You can Edit> Go advanced> click on the paperclip icon and then add your image... cuts down on load times for those with slow connections and especially for larger images keeps everything in the screen for the viewers.

I like the map. What did you use to make this? PS or Gimp? ...

Oops, sorry. I didn't know if that was kosher, as the original is rather large, but I'll do it.

The map was done entirely in Photoshop.

delgondahntelius
09-29-2008, 04:26 AM
You can use displacement filter to make some ridged mountains fairly easy. Using your alpha channel and the displacement map with another layer as an overlay puts down that 3-d look.... using the lighting effects after that puts in some shading to really make them 3dish...

Ascension
09-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm diggin it, very nice.

Steel General
09-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Just a couple of my usual nit-pickinesses (is that a word even :D).

Like I've commented on several of Ascensions maps, I find it very dark (maybe because the ocean is so dark?), and the fonts don't really seem to work for me, they seem kind of... cartoonish. But really these are more of a preference thing and not really meant to be any kind of negative "knock" on your style.

mmmmmpig
09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with SG about the font issue. I don't necessarily think they are too cartoonish as much as I find them nearly illegible. The clarity of the asian characters is in stark contrast to the clarity of the western characters. I would suggest finding a new font for the westernizing. Also, I would switch the naming convention to make the asian characters the primary label and have the Western label as a parenthetical.

Hawke
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I like it! I'm definitely going to try and use some "frost" on my current WIP, I think it looks pretty good here. I'd blur the water coastlines a little bit more. I find the hard ridges distracting a bit.

arkham618
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I chose the font (Sho) because it has an Oriental calligraphic quality without (I thought) being difficult to read. Those who didn't like it, can you suggest an alternative?

robb75067
10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I chose the font (Sho) because it has an Oriental calligraphic quality without (I thought) being difficult to read. Those who didn't like it, can you suggest an alternative?

Not to play the devils advocate but I like the font. Maybe rough it up a little but I'd vote to keep the font.

Steel General
10-02-2008, 07:15 AM

I don't have any specific fonts to recommend. If you haven't already, check out one of the free font sites (such as DAFONT (http://www.dafont.com)) and see if you find another that appeals to you.

robb75067
10-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Chowfun and Chinese Takeaway are the only two other chinese looking fonts I use. Both maybe a little cartoony but I bet I got them from dafont.

mmmmmpig
10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
again, I suggest that you use the asian characters as the primary and have the western labels significantly smaller in a light san serif font as a parenthetical. Then you don't have to worry about having a "faux ethnic" font

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Think english subtitle to an afternoon of kung-fu matinee :D

Steel General
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
again, I suggest that you use the asian characters as the primary and have the western labels significantly smaller in a light san serif font as a parenthetical. Then you don't have to worry about having a "faux ethnic" font

I agree completely... however ultimately the choice is arkham618's :)

Ekkoe
10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Can I ask, what software did you use? You didn't mention that, did you?

Looks really good.

robb75067
10-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree completely... however ultimately the choice is robb75067's :)

hehe, not my map man.

Steel General
10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
hehe, not my map man.

Duly noted and corrected. Thank you...

arkham618
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Can I ask, what software did you use? You didn't mention that, did you?

Looks really good.

It was created in Photoshop.

mogul76
10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh cool! I stumbled across your campaign at rpol.net and have therefore already seen your map.
I'm also in the process of drawing maps for my wuxia campaign which is set in ancient China during the warring-states period. So far, I have mainly focused on battle maps. You'll find an example HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2974).

As for fonts, you may want to look at THIS ONE (http://www.fontcubes.com/Pepsi.font). It has an oriental touch to it without being overly cheesy.

Tianxia... All under heaven? That sounds like a Qin-era campaign, too... You'll find a couple of old Chinese fonts HERE (http://www.ibiblio.org/chinesehistory/contents/08fea/c02.html).