PDA

View Full Version : WIP Bailiwan

robb75067
09-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I liked how the Harren Map turned out so I decided to make a larger version and try to correct the mistakes of the last one.

It's about 10% complete at this point but if you have any feed back I'd love to hear it.

Here's the Harren Map (http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll282/robb75067/Map_Harren.jpg) as well.

thanks

robb75067
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Update:
added some cities from the original map and started a close up of Larano area

Steel General
09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
So far, so good. Looking forward to see how this progresses.

Karro
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Looking good so far.

One thought, it looks like the border of the Larano close-up is just a tiny-fied version of the border around the whole map (which I like). However... I was thinking wouldn't the mapmkers of such a map just used a simplified version rather than a tiny and more-difficult to reproduce version?

mmmmmpig
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Love the palette so far. Great stuff

robb75067
09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I played with mountains and think this is the winner so far. Also the evergreen trees in the north east look good but the regular trees in the rest of the map don't look right. I think I'll redraw the brush and try it again. Also from a previous map someone commented on naming in different fonts for the different items so I tried that and am happy with the look so far. Also I plan on uniforming the colors a bit more and fading out the dark fonts just a touch.

Looking good so far.

One thought, it looks like the border of the Larano close-up is just a tiny-fied version of the border around the whole map (which I like). However... I was thinking wouldn't the mapmkers of such a map just used a simplified version rather than a tiny and more-difficult to reproduce version?

Thats a good point. I had the same border around the blow up area as I did around the Map notes in the bottom right but changed it so it would look like a different section. I'll revisit that again. Thanks for taking the time to help with the map, it's much appreciated.

robb75067
09-30-2008, 05:11 PM
The attachement failed on the above post so here it is.

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
For your future ref Robb... you can Edit the post and reattach it, that way you don't have to create a whole new post.

That is one great looking map... I stand in awe of your skills :D

Gandwarf
09-30-2008, 07:12 PM
This is going to be one sweet map. Something to drool over. Really.
I love the different fonts for the cities, landmarks and stuff. And the vegetation and mountains are simply... wow :o

I am starting to feel humbled by the work done by the people on this board, which is bad for my own motivation ;)

robb75067
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
For your future ref Robb... you can Edit the post and reattach it, that way you don't have to create a whole new post.

That is one great looking map... I stand in awe of your skills :D

I dont think I have the rights too. I looked around for it. I can't even delete my posts. lol wouldnt be the first time I over looked something though :)

This is going to be one sweet map. Something to drool over. Really.
I love the different fonts for the cities, landmarks and stuff. And the vegetation and mountains are simply... wow :o

Thanks! I'm having trouble with non evergreen trees though, I can't decide on placement.

Ascension
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
This is super. About the only thing I would nitpick is the bevel/emboss on the landforms instead of a basic stroke. Just me though, excellent job so far.

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Robb... you should have rights to edit your own posts... in the right hand lower corner of the post

is where you will find the edit button.

As for deleting, I'm not sure if you can delete your own post or not, however if you edit and put *delete post* ... someone will come along and delete it at some point...

If you can delete them, usually the method is that you edit post, then hit GO advanced.... at the top will be the delete menu.

robb75067
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Robb... you should have rights to edit your own posts... in the right hand lower corner of the post

is where you will find the edit button.

As for deleting, I'm not sure if you can delete your own post or not, however if you edit and put *delete post* ... someone will come along and delete it at some point...

If you can delete them, usually the method is that you edit post, then hit GO advanced.... at the top will be the delete menu.

Ahh yes I had missed the delete button in the lower right after I hit edit. I hate when things hide right in front of me. I still however am missing the attachment option on editing. It looks like I can only link things during an edit but either way I can delete the original and do the attachment that way.

This is super. About the only thing I would nitpick is the bevel/emboss on the landforms instead of a basic stroke. Just me though, excellent job so far.

I appreciate the nit picking. I used bevel because my landmasses completely shade in with the stroke feature. I can only assume it's because I have the opacity set low.

Ascension
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Ah, gotcha...I know how that goes. No biggie, nice job.

delgondahntelius
09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Ahh yes I had missed the delete button in the lower right after I hit edit. I hate when things hide right in front of me. I still however am missing the attachment option on editing. It looks like I can only link things during an edit but either way I can delete the original and do the attachment that way.

I'm sorry, You have to hit "Go Advanced" then scroll down to edit your post.. your attachment option will be there.

robb75067
10-01-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm sorry, You have to hit "Go Advanced" then scroll down to edit your post.. your attachment option will be there.

Got it, thanks buddy.

robb75067
10-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Ah, gotcha...I know how that goes. No biggie, nice job.

manual outline FTW.

robb75067
10-01-2008, 02:36 AM
about 75% Complete before I start looking for final errors. I'm torn on the density though. It feels cluttered.

Steel General
10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't see it as being cluttered at all. I think it's really quite good.

Only thing I can suggest you maybe change (and someone actually brought this up in another thread), is to reduce the number of fonts used. I believe the suggested limit is three.

Bohunk
10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Robb you have inspired me. I love it, I gotta get back on the horse and make another map. Been gone too long!

robb75067
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't see it as being cluttered at all. I think it's really quite good.

Only thing I can suggest you maybe change (and someone actually brought this up in another thread), is to reduce the number of fonts used. I believe the suggested limit is three.

I thought about it last night and plan on making some major overhauls. I'll tone down the fonts and see how it looks. Thanks.

Robb you have inspired me. I love it, I gotta get back on the horse and make another map. Been gone too long!

I keep Ystraad up to benchmark my work and look for ways to improve my own stuff. I'm just glad I could contribute.

robb75067
10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
- revamped the coast lines
- started over on trees and mountains
- added a a desert (no clue on symbols to add for deserts)
- added hordeland symbols and changed text layout

still to do
- start over on Larano blow up. Use new border, make it interesting and hopefully make it mesh well with the over all look.
- add more titles (few cities, add ruins, add a sea/ocean or two)
- add symbols to barrow island chain in south east
- revisit amount of fonts used
- revisit actual names used

Bohunk
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Very nice. Love the celtic borders. For deserts symbols perhaps a few cacti (sp?) and some cattle skulls...maybe a dune or two?

I agree on the fonts, try to pin yourself down to one or two and use font size and bold to change it up a little.

All in all a nice peice of art.

delgondahntelius
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm actually practicing on making celtic knot work with pen and ink .... :D Love the celtic borders :D

robb75067
10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Very nice. Love the celtic borders. For deserts symbols perhaps a few cacti (sp?) and some cattle skulls...maybe a dune or two?

I agree on the fonts, try to pin yourself down to one or two and use font size and bold to change it up a little.

All in all a nice peice of art.

I'll add some cacti and work on the fonts, thanks.

Steel General
10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
This is really coming along nicely...

Feel the wrath of my Cudgel of Repping *bonk*

robb75067
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Completed since last update

- Normalized the fonts - used Trajan Pro for most of it. It lacks a old world feel so I'll revisit that.
- Redid Larano Blow up and border. I think it meshes better with the over all map now.
- Added Cacti to desert region
- added symbols to Barrow Island region

To do List

- Add Rivers
- Add more Cities and Regions
- Revisit font choice

Steel General
10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I really like the different "clan?" icons for the Hordelands.

Karro
10-02-2008, 05:32 PM
All in all, very nice. A great improvement on an already great-looking map!

robb75067
10-02-2008, 05:34 PM
added some heraldry still need to do fonts and rivers.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.

Ascension
10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Love the heraldry, I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate that into my current project without covering up the map and viola, here you are and showed me the way. Thanks.

robb75067
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Love the heraldry, I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate that into my current project without covering up the map and viola, here you are and showed me the way. Thanks.

awesome glad I could help.

robb75067
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I think this is it unless anyone has some ideas for improvements.

Bohunk
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Beautiful. Love these style maps.

Midgardsormr
10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree. That is gorgeous. You might reduce the opacity of those rhumb lines a bit, though.

NymTevlyn
10-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Could I trouble you for copies of the trees and mountains with transparency?

delgondahntelius
10-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Very nice Robb... excellent work!

robb75067
10-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate everyone's input. I look forward to doing it again soon.

I agree. That is gorgeous. You might reduce the opacity of those rhumb lines a bit, though.
Dropped Opacity from 70% to 40%. Thanks.

Could I trouble you for copies of the trees and mountains with transparency?

Robb's Brushes (http://www.clanofthemandrill.com/files/Robbs.abr)
This file is all the brushes I have. It's a big file and some are crap but it's everything. If you're not on Photoshop let me know and I'll post up some .pngs or Gifs. Always glad to give back to the community so let me know if you need anything else.

Final Map

NymTevlyn
10-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Woot thanks! I lost my tablet to a cat-tastrophe over a year ago and my mapping hasn't been the same since. ;_; Damned cat knocked over a full can of mountain dew right on top of my tablet.

delgondahntelius
10-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Woot thanks! I lost my tablet to a cat-tastrophe over a year ago and my mapping hasn't been the same since. ;_; Damned cat knocked over a full can of mountain dew right on top of my tablet.

Which is why all drinks are FORBIDDEN near the desk. Only drinks that have a CLOSED lid.... BY PAIN OF DEATH. :D
And if that happened to me... we'd be eating cat that night for dinner :D

Eilathen
10-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Robb's Brushes (http://www.clanofthemandrill.com/files/Robbs.abr)
This file is all the brushes I have. It's a big file and some are crap but it's everything. If you're not on Photoshop let me know and I'll post up some .pngs or Gifs. Always glad to give back to the community so let me know if you need anything else.

Woah! That is very generous, Robb! Thanks a lot. Have some rep (even if it is of no use, because i have no power :lol: )
I really love your map and hope to see more of your works in the future!

Steel General
10-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Which is why all drinks are FORBIDDEN near the desk. Only drinks that have a CLOSED lid.... BY PAIN OF DEATH. :D
And if that happened to me... we'd be eating cat that night for dinner :D

mmmmm...yummy Cat... Oh wait, no dammit that's disgusting, ewww! :D

robb75067
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM

My cat walks across my keyboard and knows the magic combinations to delete layers and to massively change the opacity. I guarantee I'm missing more than a few things on the map I think are there but will find out once I've traded a leg to get it printed in color.

NymTevlyn
10-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Damn. Those brushes aren't compatible with my version of photoshop. ;_;

robb75067
10-04-2008, 05:53 PM

np buddy. I'll put a bunch of trees and the mountain I used on on a gif and load it up. It's letting me stall on the house painting anyway.

robb75067
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Brush Palette in png 24 format (http://www.clanofthemandrill.com/files/tree_mt_brushes.png)

Let me know if you need a hand with the file.

NymTevlyn
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks! I use PS 7.0 still. Student discount and all and now I don't have that kind of access. The png will work great. Thank you again.

robb75067
10-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks! I use PS 7.0 still. Student discount and all and now I don't have that kind of access. The png will work great. Thank you again.

NP, glad it's working for you.