PDA

View Full Version : *** October Challenge -- Urban Mapping ***

delgondahntelius
10-01-2008, 11:08 AM
*** October Challenge ***

Urban Mapping in your own style.

Use the B&W layout below to map an area in a settlement using your own style.

Try to convey some of the character of the place you are mapping. You can choose any genre, and any size settlement. You must stick to the fundamental plan as far as possible and the layout must be recognizable in your entry.

Entries should be in by no later than October 25, 2008.

Good Luck!!

mmmmmpig
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
ooooooh..... fun!

Korrigan
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Ouch... Urban mapping is not my specialty... Maybe I'll need some advice when started...

Gamerprinter
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Hmmm, I'm kind of in the mood to create a Sci-Fi urban sprawl, something like the world of Blade Runner, Fifth Element, or the City of Star Wars Episode 2. Anyway, I might create multi-levels of hovercars, elevated trains. Which means those building outlines would belong to huge buildings.

Just an idea, anyway, it will probably be a while before I start, week or so.

GP

Steel General
10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
hmmmm....very interesting *said in a terrible Inspector Clouseau imitation* :D

bryguy
10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
ooh if i try this, it will be tough. Havent done very many cities (uh... actually none :? ) but I started making a city before, So I can try.

Question though, are we aloud to modify things slightly? like add a river and bridges and zoom out slightly to include more area?

Redrobes
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I had better reserve a space to put the entries list in again so they will be below here.

The map does indeed look modern with all the angular shapes. I think ill go with a combo of 3D, dummy thatching script fu and Aug challenge terrain script fu with a dash of icons on top for good measure. Whether the thatching is actually thatch or tiles or maybe modern slick mirrored windows I don't know at this stage. Would be interesting to try pushing the boat out and do something really different tho. Hmmm rough it up a bit and do an undersea map maybe ????

Edit -- Ohhh Ohhh just noticed.... Gaze upon my +4 staff of repping and despair !!!! First person to respond on this thread gets bonked with it

### New Challenge Entry:Sigurd,3058
### New Challenge Entry:Darken,3064
### New Challenge Entry:Jkaen,3065
### New Challenge Entry:Notsonoble,3070
### New Challenge Entry:meleeguy,3076
### New Challenge Entry:joao paulo,3077
### New Challenge Entry:Redrobes,3079
### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,3083
### New Challenge Entry:Korrigan,3090
### New Challenge Entry:AidyBaby,3092
### New Challenge Entry:Sagenlicht,3097
### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,3106
### New Challenge Entry:mmmmmpig,3110
### New Challenge Entry:NeonKnight,3113
### New Challenge Entry:Torq,3123
### New Challenge Entry:Vehuiah,3151
### New Challenge Entry:dragonwolf,3156
### New Challenge Entry:Lord,3161
### New Challenge Entry:StillCypher,3199
### New Challenge Entry:Antony,3223
### New Challenge Entry:delgondahntelius,3243
### New Challenge Entry:ravells,3247
### New Challenge Entry:RobA,3248
### New Challenge Entry:Rovingjack,3250

mmmmmpig
10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
bonk away :P

Redrobes
10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
mmmmmpig you don't want that paltry 11 rep...

bonk...

Yes ! Aha, you can now have 15. Good, good - no need to take it back and get a refund... :)

I will no go off and bonk everybody !

Aera Lure
10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Good idea! I knew right what I would do if I found the time to enter when I read the challenge and saw the layout. I run a sci-fi campaign presently, so perhaps I could make a map for the challenge that I could also use myself, which might help me free up time to enter a challenge. However...

Hmmm, I'm kind of in the mood to create a Sci-Fi urban sprawl, something like the world of Blade Runner, Fifth Element, or the City of Star Wars Episode 2. Anyway, I might create multi-levels of hovercars, elevated trains. Which means those building outlines would belong to huge buildings.

... GP beat me to it. :D I'm not sure I can compete with GP's skill level in another style challenge within the same genre. ;) Still, my setting would not be as technologically advanced probably. We'll see if I can arrange the time to enter, but I'm truly not sure, as its really just three weeks and it'll be almost a week before I have a day off to consider it.

Great challenge though! It'll be a lot of fun to follow this one in progress.

mmmmmpig
10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
mmmmmpig you don't want that paltry 11 rep...

bonk...

Yes ! Aha, you can now have 15. Good, good - no need to take it back and get a refund... :)

I will no go off and bonk everybody !

I am so amazingingly repped up now. Thanks!

Robbie
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
What? Repped up? Not without my input you aren't.

Bam...feel the awesome power of my +10 admin rep stick as it beats you about the head and shoulders.

:( Although no one ever reps me :(

mmmmmpig
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Bam...feel the awesome power of my +10 admin rep stick as it beats you about the head and shoulders.

I believe the term is "woot!" and the rep has been reciprocated as best as possible

Darken
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
So I'm gonna try this one... but I'm not promising anything :-P

I'm assuming similar rules apply as last month's challenge in terms of being able to make minor adjustments to the layout in the name of continuity and style... is that assumption correct?

EDIT:
Nevermind... answered my own question:

You must stick to the fundamental plan as far as possible and the layout must be recognizable in your entry.

delgondahntelius
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM

I just repped you yesterday ... or the day before!!! you tapering river tutorial.... SO .... TAKE THAT !!!! :D

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey now, let's not devalue the power of rep by just throwing it around like it isn't worth anything... oh... never mind. :)

Korrigan
10-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I thought maybe I could try something "google-earth-style"... I'll see if it's possible...

bryguy
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
:arrow:
Question though, are we aloud to modify things slightly? like add a river and bridges and zoom out slightly to include more area? :?

mad_computer_user
10-01-2008, 04:44 PM
hmmm, ill give this a go, though never done this kinda thing before...

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
:arrow: :?
Same rules as the last challenge, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as the existing guidelines are still met.

bryguy
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Same rules as the last challenge, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as the existing guidelines are still met.

okay cool, thanks :)

NeonKnight
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Boy, been awhile since I was repped. But I can't rep Arcana....gotta spread the love :(

Tonight, after my CCNA class, I will be repping a bunch of people. Beware my My Awesome:

+4 Axiomatic Flaming burst Cudgel of Dancing!

delgondahntelius
10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I'll be the Victim!!

that's one helluva cudgel... I've just acquired a +3 Vicious Rod of Wounding

meleeguy
10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Question - to what extent is CD3 usable in this? It seems ideal for creating warrens and such and I was thinking of picking it up. Of course, that confers a tool advantage so I dunno.

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Just FYI, I don't rep anyone that asks for it. ;) I found on other forums that that tends to lead to "Rep Party" Threads getting started where everyone reps everyone else in the thread and like the US Dollar the rep becomes relatively meaningless. :(

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Question - to what extent is CD3 usable in this? It seems ideal for creating warrens and such and I was thinking of picking it up. Of course, that confers a tool advantage so I dunno.
There is no rule against you using CD3, and I for one would love to see a CD3 version of the map. You might even get repped for doing one. ;)

Midgardsormr
10-01-2008, 08:16 PM
CD3? Go for it! I'm tentatively planning on using it for this one, myself. Good opportunity to learn how it works!

delgondahntelius
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
That's ok... My rep didn't change any... I'm reptardant... lol... I have gotten to where I hand it out a little more than I used to though, I found that everytime I wanted to rep someone, I HAD to spread it around.... so I've been trying to consciously remember to rep more than once a month...

Jkaen
10-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Ok, I have an idea for this which I hope will be fairly different from the general set of applications. Will have to start playing round with it tonight

Notsonoble
10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I think I'm gonna try this, just to get away from doing things for games I plan on running right away... and to help me learn to do things for later...

Lord
10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
This sounds fun. I am in. At first glance I though oh, typical medieval looking lands... but i might try something different, or i might not.

NeonKnight
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I've got something.......really interesting planned for this challenge ;)

I will post no WIP's, but rather a finished piece. I don't want to give away the surprise, but I must say I really like some of the other entries I have seen so far.

Redrobes
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
You can start a WIP thread and put up a big question mark if you would like to reserve a space on the thumbs ;)

NeonKnight
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Okie Dokie! Done!

delgondahntelius
10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Well you've certainly piqued my interest NK :D

mmmmmpig
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
16 entries so far and the month is still young. Looks to be another successful challenge

RPMiller
10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
That sounds like a Challenge challenge. Let's see if we can beat last month's number of entries. :)

joćo paulo
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
5 DAYS left ....

mmmmmpig
10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
did I count out correctly that there are 20 entries so far?

Jkaen
10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
There are 21 thumbnails shown atm, althoguh some (ie gameprinters) won't be finished

mmmmmpig
10-23-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah, I already took GP's retraction into account

Jkaen
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Yet again I will be very pushed to get something decent out in time, but I am getting better and faster, which I guess is the whole point.

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't know if this is necessary, but my entry is ready(ish).

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 07:42 PM
As long as you have it posted up by midnite tonight .. yer good to go

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
As long as you have it posted up by midnite tonight .. yer good to go

It's up, but the thumbnail latest wip tag doesn't seem to be working it still shows the first pic I posted...

I'm not gonna get to work on it anymore before midnight CST, but I'm happy with it in its current condition.

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I thought it was supposed to be scripted to automated, RR only did that this month, in previous months he has to actually run the script daily and goes thru and grabs all the latest WIPS, Don't worry, it will all be good by the time voting comes around.... never fear, just drink a beer :D

oooo.. I just noticed yer in Lubbock.... I'm down past Abiliene Tx... small town of Zephyr ... 8 miles outside of Brownwood TX .... in other words.... 5 hours away:D ... HOWDY FELLOW TEXAN :D

COWBOYS RULE!!!!

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I thought that sounded familiar... something may come of this.

Redrobes
10-25-2008, 09:27 AM
The thumbnails generation is scripted but I have to manually run the script and upload the results. Originally I used to have to keep track of everyones threads and then take the last image and resize it, put a border on it, generate the web page stuff and then upload all of that. Nightmare. But yes I still have to push buttons to make it update which I do about every other day or so. Still, if there are any problems esp near the end of the month prior to voting then I need to run it just before the vote to get the final set of images. If there is a very late entry like last month then this thread has to be modified in my entrants list which is a bit of a pain because usually it gets locked for voting so I need a CL edit.

Try to read the full thread of the post not just rely on the thumb images as the script does get it wrong now and again so it might not be looking at the very last entry image. Mail me if you think yours is not correct esp near to vote time - i.e. now !. You used to have to look at the thread but this month you can click on the thumb and go directly to the image so its more important now that its the right image. Click on the name in the thumbs and it takes you to the thread not the image.

Edit -- I have done the thumbs again today. Usually if I am on this site and see new posts on entries I run it so if you see posts by me or check when I was last logged in then its likely that that was the last thumbs update. Not always - sometimes I am remote, on another PC or short of time but its generally true.

Edit2 -- 5 hrs away ? Thats like the other side of the country here !

mmmmmpig
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
26 entry threads? so... how many are finished entries for the voting?

delgondahntelius
10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
speaking from personal experience.... I wouldn't exclude any of them.. :D

mmmmmpig
10-25-2008, 03:37 PM
i bet you wouldn't :D

Gamerprinter
10-25-2008, 04:09 PM
You can and should exclude my entry...

GP

RPMiller
10-25-2008, 06:10 PM
You can and should exclude my entry...

GP
Perhaps changing the thread name and removing WIP tags would be a good idea?

delgondahntelius
10-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Perhaps changing the thread name and removing WIP tags would be a good idea?
perhaps we need to make it a type of rule... as in... if you bow out... you have to *officially state* that fact in the Challenge thread...*here* in other words... so that moderators can change the tag or move it to the archived subforum...

Redrobes
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
That sounds sensible. Also PM me or somebody edit the entrants list to remove the name and thread id from the set and then the thumbs will update accordingly next time run.

RobA
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM
That sounds sensible. Also PM me or somebody edit the entrants list to remove the name and thread id from the set and then the thumbs will update accordingly next time run.

It might help that we rearranged the forum. Other than the sticky posts at the start, every other post in the Current Mapping Challenge forum should be an entry for the month... after the threads are locked and voting is complete we will move them all to the archive sub-forum and unlock for further comments or modifications as desired...

soooo... the script could just work on every post in the forum except when it starts with "STICKY"...

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
10-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Shouldn't the voting have started already?

GP

Redrobes
10-26-2008, 08:21 AM
soooo... the script could just work on every post in the forum except when it starts with "STICKY"...Could do but sometimes it might be a good idea to change the script and rerun it over old challenges. For example recently we changed so that clicking into the image now goes to the image not the thread for it. What I ought to do is have the entrants list as a post in the thumbnails sticky thread as I have edit access to that thread so it would not be a problem. Maybe have an archive of entrants lists there too. Still, it seems to be working quite well at the mo so I reckon leave it as is for now.

Redrobes
10-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Late last night ran the script again and once more this morning just to ensure that we have a good set of thumbs and again we have some 11th hour entrants again so it should be correct as of start of voting. But let me know if your thumb is not the right one.

I changed the script this morning to do multi page challenge entries as its much more important to get them right. I ran it over several previous months and they all looked like it picked up the right ones but I cannot be sure.

The script does everything now except run itself automatically and upload all the new results !

meleeguy
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Life got too busy and I wasn't able to finish Shea, but I still learned some good things.

I wanted to create a cavernous drop around the positive pieces. I spent a great deal of time in that and should have moved on sooner. I do love to mess with meshes though, so it was fun. :)