PDA

View Full Version : Outerspace Challenge

bryguy
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
How about a challenge where you have to create an outerspace scene/map? I myself would like to have a challenge like this :)

Aera Lure
10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm all for it, as I run a sci-fi campaign currently, though its pretty much restricted to the Earth Sphere (Moon, La Grange points). Some access to the asteroid belt and Jupiter though.

What are you thinking? "Regional" map or an encounter map? In actual "space", or on a planetary body? In any event, pretty much all of those things interest me.

Redstar
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
sounds fun! at last I could use some neon colors in a map 8)

bryguy
10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm all for it, as I run a sci-fi campaign currently, though its pretty much restricted to the Earth Sphere (Moon, La Grange points). Some access to the asteroid belt and Jupiter though.

What are you thinking? "Regional" map or an encounter map? In actual "space", or on a planetary body? In any event, pretty much all of those things interest me.

im not sure what you mean by "regional", "encounter", "space", or "planetary body", so i cant really answer your question.... :?:?::((

Gamerprinter
10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
im not sure what you mean by "regional", "encounter", "space", or "planetary body", so i cant really answer your question.... :?:?::((

Bryguy: a regional map would be something like September Challenge map - you are mapping a region, that's not as big as a continent, but more than just a city; ie: regional: county map, state map, midwest map.

Encounter map - is used in Roleplaying Games, like Dungeons & Dragons, encounter scale is usually, 1 inch = 5 feet. The August challenge dungeon tiles were in encounter scale, as was the tavern map, on the previous month. A map of an encounter area - fight a monster, visit a store or tavern.

Space map, I'm guessing would be like an orbital map, starsystem map or even a quadrant map. Map as large as an entire galaxy, or the immediate environment surrounding a planet or star system.

Planetary Body - a map of Earth or Mars, a map of a planet.

GP

bryguy
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Bryguy: a regional map would be something like September Challenge map - you are mapping a region, that's not as big as a continent, but more than just a city; ie: regional: county map, state map, midwest map.

Encounter map - is used in Roleplaying Games, like Dungeons & Dragons, encounter scale is usually, 1 inch = 5 feet. The August challenge dungeon tiles were in encounter scale, as was the tavern map, on the previous month. A map of an encounter area - fight a monster, visit a store or tavern.

Space map, I'm guessing would be like an orbital map, starsystem map or even a quadrant map. Map as large as an entire galaxy, or the immediate environment surrounding a planet or star system.

Planetary Body - a map of Earth or Mars, a map of a planet.

GP

thanks GP :)

I had been thinking more of a space map or planetary body map

NeonKnight
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This would use Profantasy's October Anual just peachy ;)

http://sub.profantasy.com/2008/october08.html

RPMiller
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This would use Profantasy's October Anual just peachy ;)

http://sub.profantasy.com/2008/october08.html
That was my immediate thought as well. :D

bryguy
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
That was my immediate thought as well. :D

whoah lol i never knew about that

anyways i like to make my own planets (using a planet render script of course :P :D :lol: )

su_liam
10-04-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm for this. I'd love to take part in this, but if it happens within the next 9 months I would probably have to bow out. I'm back in school again. I feel like the 40 year old virgin in a classroom full of people who are mostly younger than my bike. Older than my kids, but younger than my bike.

I would have loved to take part in this.

Antony
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I like the idea of an alien complex, ground or space based, which would be interesting. How alien can you make it and yet still be "understandable" to mere human minds?

RPMiller
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I like the idea of an alien complex, ground or space based, which would be interesting. How alien can you make it and yet still be "understandable" to mere human minds?
That is more of an encounter map and would be a different suggestion. You are welcome to post it in the forum and see if he garners the most votes in the next two days. :) I like the idea and it has some potential so I say go for it.

Antony
10-25-2008, 02:00 AM
I wasn't thinking so much of interiors but small settlements sitting in orbit or on alien worlds. But both together would be interesting.

joćo paulo
10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
here are some pictures for inspiration:idea:

jfrazierjr
10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
veyr pretty... have some rep

joćo paulo
10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Here is the link to the site where I found these pictureshttp://www.hudsonfla.com/spaceviewinner.htm
:?sorry for not having placed the source before.

RobA
10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
moonbase alpha (space 1999) was a part of my inspiration for this month's challenge entry...

-Rob A>

Ascension
10-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Joao, you actually did inspire me. I've never done something remotely "techy" or "spacey" and now I have an idea.