PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Fenman's Alley

Sigurd
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Just playing around with some layers and the October Challenge.

I think this is going to be stiff competition. There is a lot you can actually do with this.

You must stick to the fundamental plan as far as possible and the layout must be recognizable in your entry.

This is a very initial looksee:

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry Sigard - couldn't resist!

Nice start!

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Your a twisted man Ravs !

mmmmmpig
10-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I like the initial looksee... I do not like Mr Bean wearing one of your building forms as his skivvies.

Steel General
10-03-2008, 07:10 AM
@Ravs - That is wrong in so many ways...funny as hell...but wrong, very wrong!

Torq
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Just shows, the reasons people get into mapping are widely varied. Ravs you're sick baby. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Torq

Sigurd
10-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Guess that building has to sell y-fronts now ;)

Sigurd

Redstar
10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
hahaha Sigurd, go check out your thumbnail on Redrobe's post. Something tells me that might be a disqualified interpretation of the challenge map. :)

Redrobes
10-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Yes, that's what happens when you don't put in a WIP tag ! It takes the last image on the thread... thought Id leave it in there as its particularly funny. See the thumbs sticky on the what, why, and how of the WIP tag.

RobA
10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
@Sigurd-

I fixed the WIP tag in the post for you.

-Rob A>

Sigurd
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
To my knowledge medieval cities were really densely packed often buildings were simply built onto previous ones sharing a common wall. Our modern concept of 'ownership' inside of the town walls seldom happened.

I have a problem with the example Geomorph that it distributes the space between buildings on all sides. It also doesn't create arteries for people flow between the buildings. Its a safe bet that people needed to get to their buildings - the arteries would be more important than the alleys.

To that end. A new WIP.

Most of the buildings haven't changed. No space has been added to the geomorph accept by shrinking alleys so some buildings are actually adjacent to each other.

Sigurd

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
This is a completely different direction... The background pattern fill gets a bit monotonous since it is the same orientation throughout the image. I had the same issue with my docks. I ended up grabbing the texture and creating some other orientations of the plank work here and there. Anyhoo... just a thought. I love the palette on this one.

Sigurd
10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree with you about the direction of the cobbles. Its not a finished layer.

I'm currently rebuilding my Computer (Strange strange error - killing Painter) so this is the last WIP for a bit.

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I like the color scheme and can't wait to see where you end up with it.

Sigurd
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
My whole computer broke down for a few days. This is a little progress after the new build. I'm still not comfortable in the space yet.

Anyway, With Big Big thanks to the People at Dunjinni.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
computer problems suck... keep at it. I like where this one is going!

Sigurd
10-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm so so slow at this.

Still learning a bit as we go.

### Latest WIP ###

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 08:26 PM
hey ... slow is paying off .. it looks great.... love the shadows and lighting effects... very nice

Slow tho, maybe you should hurry up .... only like 4 half hours left to get it in... :D

Sigurd
10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm amazed by how indebted I am to textures, pictures, and all the dunjinni people in all this.

Just to prove I'm braver than smart :). I tried something completely different with Painter.

I'm not really too worried about the contest :)

### Latest WIP ###