PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Rise of Osham

Darken
10-02-2008, 01:34 PM
So... kinda new to this mapping challenge thingy... pardon mistakes in my post format...

Some stats:
- Hand drawn on HP Pavilion tx2000 (laptop with built-in WACOM tablet on the screen) using Photoshop CS3.
- Took the challenge jpeg and morphed it into a perspective view, then started drawing on top of it.
- Mapping style is somewhere in the mid 1600s

This is the top-right of the map (all I have done so far :) )

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Cool, and that sounds like a neat laptop you got there too !

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Very nice... Big fan of hand drawn style.... like the way you've approached the challenge and you sire... Have been bonked on the head with a cup o' reputation .... REPPED! ...

Darken
10-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Cool, and that sounds like a neat laptop you got there too !

Oh, I love my laptop! I was actually saving up for the previous model (tx1000) but it took me so long to get the money that the newer model (tx2000) came out. The screen rotates and folds down so I have a flat surface to work with.
http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/images/tx2000%20370x330.jpg
More here (http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/572546-0-0-225-121.html).

Very nice... Big fan of hand drawn style.... like the way you've approached the challenge and you sire... Have been bonked on the head with a cup o' reputation .... REPPED! ...

Why thank ye kind sir!
I'm not sure which style I prefer... I actually really like the symbol-based systems (like Campaign Cartographer) but it doesn't have the level of control I get from hand-drawn.

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh... while I'm happy you have such a cool comp... I secretly want to choke you and take it for myself.... heh.. J/K ... really nice laptop

I too used to be a symbol man... CC2pro was what I primarily worked with, though I've since bought the CC3 collection now. Photoshop however, opened my eyes and I just can't ever, never, ever give it up .... We all turn to the darkside eventually :)

Korrigan
10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh Gosh ! I didn't even know they went so far with laptops... Need to keep myself up to date...

Steel General
10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Cool laptop, and nice original twist on this month's challenge.

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Midgardsormr
10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Always good to see a new member jump right into the challenge! And I heartily endorse the John Speed emulation. I have a print of one of his maps hung in my bedroom. A poor photo is attached. I really need to learn how to shoot through the glass properly.

Darken
10-02-2008, 04:49 PM
A poor photo is attached. I really need to learn how to shoot through the glass properly.

Ehhh, I don't know how comfortable you are with me getting technical here... I'll assume you have some functional knowledge of manual-mode photography...

Put the camera on the tripod and get as close you can so the frame fills the entire camera preview.
Dim the lights, close the curtains, do not use flash.
Use a small aperture (3.5 to 5.5) and an extended exposure. Set the f-stop first and adjust the shutter speed until you get level metering.
Set the camera to a timed-shot (usually 3, 5, or 10 seconds), push the button and walk away. you don't want your movement to move the camera while it is taking the shot or you'll get blur.

The goal here is to diffuse the light gently across the glass; sudden changes is what causes those white clouds.

ravells
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
That is one cool laptop Darken, and I love the approach you've taken with the challenge too. And thanks for the tip on taking photos of maps behind glass, I've got a few framed ones.

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Get as technical as you want Darken.... We don't mind and we love advice and tips here at the CG.... Especially when its good advice!! :D

mmmmmpig
10-03-2008, 01:38 AM
This one is going to be quite impressive if that little preview has anything to say about it.

I am really looking forward to complete version of this one.

RPMiller
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Impressive all the way around. :)

Darken
10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
So here's a quick update. I left a lot of my other layers on so you can kind of see how I'm doing this. I have a couple of things I'm not happy with that I need to redo:
- The keep (section 6). Needs a change of scale and a clarification make-over; the details are making the architecture too busy.
- The height of sections 1,2,3,5,6,&9 do not match 4,7,8,&10... they'll need to be redone.
I suppose I could leave it... for the sake of the challenge, the style still comes across. But, it'd bother me and I have the time.

Also, I need to find something to do with the big plot of land below section 10. I'm thinking bazaar/market.
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Very cool, I'm liking this alot.

mmmmmpig
10-03-2008, 06:27 PM
this definitely has legs

Gamerprinter
10-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Excellent style, nice use of the challenge shapes. Reminds me of my Darkovia map in the June Challenge, though mine was much more crude than this work! Its already my favorite so far.

Repped!

GP

Lord
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I like the scale of this better than most of the other maps. The blocks are buildings, they are city blocks! The way it should be. And the perspective is cool too.

I am also impressed with the notebook. Is there and levels of sensitivity to the screen, like a Wacom? Wondering if there is any comparison to the Cintiq.

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
This is an outstanding map. Perspective view style maps are my favorite.