PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Lanesh

Jkaen
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I have decided to go with what I hope is an original approach with this challenge and produce a Venice inspired fantasy map, still messing about with scales and ideas, but I have included an initial mock-up of what I am thinking

Darken
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM
One of my brainstormed ideas was a water-logged city as well... I was gonna try applying a "steampunk" feel to it and have the waterways be like modern streets with steam boats modeled after cars, traffic lights, boeys as road signs, etc... ended up being beyond the scope of a monthly competition but I may revisit the idea someday.

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Nice approach... I like it. That one actually never occurred to me, but what doesn't occur to me is one big long list of things ..... Great job..... :D Now let's see the real map! :D

RobA
10-02-2008, 02:30 PM
mmmmmm... canals....

-Rob A>

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Good start. I would break up the pattern of that water a bit tho. You can do that by blending several different water textures together or take the same one and resize it differently on each blend by different amounts that dont multiply together well - like 1, 1.35 and 1.87 or something like that.

Jkaen
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the tip on the water, here is the current progress in the NW portion

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Rockin ! I can see that this is going to be a great entry already.

Ascension
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Ooo, that looks niiice.

mmmmmpig
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM
This one is shaping up nicely as well

Sagenlicht
10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Jkaen, this looks really promising :)

Jkaen
10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok next section done which took forever to do, its so much easier doing the railing and paths when they are on the horizontal / vertical.

Anyway, here is the market district

Jkaen
10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Added a couple of courtyards in the bottom left, here is a full sized WIP

### Latest WIP ###

Jkaen
10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Another update, added a holy forest type area in the SE.

Running out of ideas to individualise the areas to be honest.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Love the forest, its very....forest-y!

Some other ideas... barracks, temple, "stable" for some kind of aquatic beastie, wizard tower, zoo, etc.

Ascension
10-14-2008, 04:45 PM
The sacred grove kicks butt...nice job.

NeonKnight
10-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Looking good.

Jkaen
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys, I will probably fence and floor the rest of the land masses and drop a collection of buildings on them. I have also added a tower on the small land just above the forests.

One thing I am currently not that happy with is that I feel the hard landscaping/ buildings looks really 2D compared to the soft landscaping / trees. I assume that is down to little shadow? Anybody have a suggestion on how to improve that?

jfrazierjr
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys, I will probably fence and floor the rest of the land masses and drop a collection of buildings on them. I have also added a tower on the small land just above the forests.

One thing I am currently not that happy with is that I feel the hard landscaping/ buildings looks really 2D compared to the soft landscaping / trees. I assume that is down to little shadow? Anybody have a suggestion on how to improve that?

For one.... I would try to find a different grass texture (or more than one) with some variation in it) The grass texture is really to uniform. Perhaps thats just because you have not broken it up with buildings that are not there yet... but....

Slight black outerglow to the buildings might help them stand out more.. but to my, I think the problem might be with the style. The buildings seem more "painterly" while the trees seem more realistic. It's not BAD per see, by any means though. If you do ended up looking for something else, I assume it would be easier to find painterly trees rather than trying to find more realistic versions of the tents and stuff....

Jkaen
10-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback, the only grass that will be left visable is under the forest (barely noticable) and in the market (will find a decent texture).

Will have a think on what to do about the "painterly" style of the buildings, as I want to stay more realistic if possible

StillCypher
10-15-2008, 08:03 PM
This is looking really great. Keep up the good work -- I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out in the end. :)

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 06:56 PM
If the rest of the map looks as good as the forest area and the market, this is will be a truly awesome map.

Jkaen
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
After an exhausting evening of cutting and rotating layers, I have finally paved all the landmasses

### Latest WIP ###

Jkaen
10-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Well run out of time once more, so I will have to submit this without the polish I hoped to put on it, hopefully I can beat the number of votes I got last round with it anyway

### Latest WIP ###