PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from White Wolf's new Cartographer

Aerius
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi everybody,

I stumbled across this guild and it seems like a pretty cool one to join. My name's Terry and for the last two month's I've been illustrating maps for White Wolf's Exalted RPG. You can see my work in they're upcoming book, "The Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Vol. III - The East"

I'm also working on their next release, if anyone's interested I have some map illustrations on my site. http://terrymaranda.com/2008/07/14/mapping-out-cartography/

Anyway, it's nice to see that there's so many people interested in maps and I'm looking forward to comparing work and maybe some cooperative work ;)

-Terry

Valarian
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the Guild. I'm sure Arcana will be along shortly to slap an "Industry Professional" tag on to your profile. Hope you enjoy the community. There's a good mix of pros and amateurs in the Guild. Plus some amateurs that probably could make it as pros.

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Greetings and Welcome the Guild Terry. We always like it when celebrities drop by, plenty of ohhh and ahhhh :D I look forward to seeing your advice around the forums.... :D

OMG ... i just went to yer blog... Those are ... AWESOME maps...

do me a favor... just ... touch me on the hand... maybe... maybe some of that skill will actually transfer over to me :D
You rock man... Keep those maps a coming! :D

RPMiller
10-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the Guild! I'm a long time fan of Exalted (although I've never been able to play :mad: ) and I've always admired their artwork and maps. Based on what I just saw at your site, you have taken their artwork to a whole new level those are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for joining and sharing your work. I look forward to seeing more and reading your comments and suggestions.

Steel General
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Welcome Aboard! Glad to have you here. :)

Took a quick look at your site, fantastic work!

Aerius
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, the maps on my blog, the black and white ones are Exalted, the colour are mine. Unfortunately they haven't ever asked for a colour maps yet, Hopefully one day.

RPMiller
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
What do you think of the existing map of Creation? I've always found the coloring to be very good, but the scale or symbols or something doesn't quite sit right with the style of map.

Aerius
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I've actually been working a lot with the existing Creation map, and if we're talking about the same illustration, it's good as far as telling where places are . I find the visuals need a bit of work, like the trees and volcano's, and the pen work is a bit sloppy. It's still pretty clear and straightforward, but you're right about the weirdness with the scaling.

-Terry

RPMiller
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHH! I so can't wait to see your improvements. There is a project online, I'll have to find it, where the creator is mapping out every place that has appeared in all the Exalted material and I would love to see a really nice version of the Creation map to be able to really knock out an incredible map that could be printed and put up on a wall.

Valarian
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
...I'm looking forward to comparing work and maybe some cooperative work ;)
As you mention the possibility of cooperative work, have you seen the Cooperative World Building project section of the board?
*crosses fingers and painfully tries the toes as well*

torstan
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Very pretty indeed. I love the Daedonas compass rose.

What programs/media do you use for these? Good to have you here - looking forward to any WIPs you fancy posting.

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, very good stuff you have there. Hope you find the time to join in with the fun challenges and maybe give some insights into your techniques.

ravells
10-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Wow....stunning work. I can see why you're a pro!

Welcome to the guild and hoping to see many more of your maps!

Aerius
10-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the comments! Once I get some down time when the new White Wolf maps are completed I'd love to do some challenges and cooperative works with you guys. The media I usually use is good old fashion traditional (pen and paper) with touch ups, textures and colours with photoshop.

-Terry

delgondahntelius
10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh ya.... PEN AND PAPER!!! .... I love it... my favorite as well :D

Redstar
10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah have to 2nd err.. 3rd... or uh, whatever number we are on everyone's comments: Great maps and welcome aboard!

Hope to you see you elsewhere on the forums!

NeonKnight
10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Sigurd
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I love love love carthusal. It has a warm watercolor feel and a seemingly authentic pattern - nice and chaotic. Really very good.

What resolution were you working at?

Any details you can give out on the process.

Sigurd