PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: District Change

Notsonoble
10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
First I'm not sure this concept is a legal entry for the challenge, if it isn't... somebody say so and I'll think of something else...

Second, this first post is REALLY REALLY early in what I'm thinking of doing (infact, I'm not entirely sure I've got the plan purely flushed out yet :?: )

My idea is going to be that area where "the market" and the nicer residential district kinda meet in a better of town... cobblestone streets, lighting (un-added at this point)... and a mixture of grouped housing and largish estates... for some sections I'm using the shape as a land plot, and some I'm using the whole shape for a larger building...

I'm fairly slow at this, but I'll try to update my WIP as I go, and if the few maps both of areas and of individual buildings are any way to judge time... I'll probably be really close to the deadline. :?

Gamerprinter
10-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I think, if you added gated walls surrounding that housing complex, then it would still qualify in the structure shapes determined by the outline map.

In its current state, with the structure shape converted into a landscaped yard, I think it does stretch outside the rules of the challenge. Just add low walls at the outer edge of the structure, and this would be perfectly "legal".

I think the "CL's" should clarify this, however.

GP

mmmmmpig
10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
I like the idea behind this one as well. I think that if you really formalized the edges of each main polygon (like GP mentioned) it should follow within the feel of the challenge, but again, I too agree that this is a decision for the CL's

Sigurd
10-03-2008, 01:18 AM
1. Use the B&W layout below to map an area in a settlement using your own style.
2. Try to convey some of the character of the place you are mapping. You can choose any genre, and any size settlement.
3. You must stick to the fundamental plan as far as possible and the layout must be recognizable in your entry.

I cant see anything wrong with this. Your settlement uses the different shapes as delineated territories\districts. The genre might be a little fanciful but the plan certainly makes the original layout recognizable. The geomorph is still there. As long as you preserve and make the delineation meaningful ....

Sigurd

Shows imagination.

delgondahntelius
10-03-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm going to say, based on the challenge requirements, that as long as the settlement's initial areas are definable, there isn't any reason why any one of those areas couldn't be a fenced off park or walled garden. ? Unless another CL disagrees with me... Or I'm overruled .... I believe that is perfectly in sticking with the challenge.

I say .. way to think outside the box!! .... no pun intended!

Notsonoble
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
slow but sure I'm getting somewhere...

I'm hoping I haven't bit off more than I can chew... I've still got to finish Pythoness House maps for the Halloween game...

I'm trying to do simple and learning a lot as I go... whether I'm ready for the deadline or not I'll have built some experience to do my city overview maps when I'm ready to start on them for my personal setting!

mmmmmpig
10-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Seems to be fleshing out more. Keep at it!

dragonwolf
10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I really like the style on the blue houses. Did you create those yourself?

Notsonoble
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I really like the style on the blue houses. Did you create those yourself?

Yeah, and I'm liking it more than the basic 2-shade style you see in the red and pink houses... as I go I'll be re-doing all of those... I'm trying to find a way to do hedge/bushes as one of the section boarders right now...

Notsonoble
10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I sort of have a hedge working for the larger estate grouping, and some more houses done (the little yellow ones below the all blue estate and brown large warehouse are getting changed).
Edit: Updated image.

Notsonoble
10-21-2008, 06:44 PM
grr edit != bump

RobA
10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
grr edit != bump

Sorry Notsonoble - That should be in the FAQ...

We would encourage every updated WIP to be a new post in the same thread. That way it is visible in the new posts search, as well as providing a trail so others can see the image development.

-Rob A>

Notsonoble
10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
The update wasn't all that progress based, I'd left a layer visible I didn't want when I made the last png.

Notsonoble
10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Closer now... but I'm getting closer to only having the things I'm really not discovering ideas for.

### Latest WIP ###

Notsonoble
10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Hmm... I was kinda hoping for some comments about this last progress pic. The park kinda spooks me on the rules of the challenge a little....

dragonwolf
10-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I think you need a smaller rock texture. Those rocks are huge in scale. I also have no idea what the blurry white round thing is supposed to be. I think you need to get all of your houses in the same style as the blue ones. You need to get rid of the white outlines underneath your areas/buildings or make sure they are completely hidden. You should also make sure to blend your grass with the road. I think your park looks okay.

mmmmmpig
10-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Holy super-saturated colors! I love the concept here, but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the colors. That of course is a personal design aesthetic though,

On a more technical/nit-picky note, watch the consistency of light source. You building roofs' shadows seem a bit haphazard.

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Gah, made major head way, and then left all the work on the machine at work.

I know I need to work on the cobblestone, I've been hunting for something on the side, but I think I'm just gonna break down and shrink the stone pattern in gimp... again...

The color has toned down the further I get and I may even go back and cut the color for the buildings down to just 3 color gradients or so. I kinda started with "detailed ptolus zone" style. Since it's the city map we use most often.

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 03:18 AM
Holy super-saturated colors! I love the concept here, but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the colors. That of course is a personal design aesthetic though,

On a more technical/nit-picky note, watch the consistency of light source. You building roofs' shadows seem a bit haphazard.

I know it's horrid of me, but I've not even payed attention to a light source...

I think I'm gonna endup saving this map and re-doing it over and over as I learn things... just as kind of a gauge.

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Okay, yay vpn, and further along... note I HATE the green building that's supposed to be a temple... I'm really though... maybe i'll re-do it tomorrow. I've also shadowed the buildings, (straight down) but only to see if I like it.

RobA
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I know I need to work on the cobblestone, I've been hunting for something on the side, but I think I'm just gonna break down and shrink the stone pattern in gimp... again..

Try http://www.cgtextures.com/

Look under Brick->Floors

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Try http://www.cgtextures.com/

Look under Brick->Floors

-Rob A>

Spiral Graphics: Genetica Viewer. You can generate various seamless textures are different resolutions and even with some random variations in the pattern(of course, those might not tile with each other!)

It take 1-2 minutes for each one you render, but the variation is will worth it to stock up on some nice base textures.

Thing to watch out for with cgtextures, is that a) many of their textures don't tile seamlessly out of the box and b) you can only download 15 MB per day without signing up for a paid subscription.

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
at least in time for the contest. Am I happy with it as a full fledged put lots of time and effort into making a spectacular map... no.

Am I happy with having something complete... yes.

The concept is a more useful map in the style Ptolus' giant citymapodoom... It still looks like that to me, larger scale of a smaller section, buildings and walls/fences have some information about their material and such. There's some detail about things other than the roofs of buildings, but it's still overview-ish.

I do regret not having enough time to do the labels I had in mind, but I just used up my last amount of spare time between now and sunday.

### Latest WIP ###

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey, I'm here to say congratulations on completing a map. This is something that I have a hard time doing myself... and is no small accomplishment at all, so KUDOS and have some rep there for getting it done and finished :D...

BTW, it's a good looking map.... I think I remember that you use GIMP right? How many maps does that make under your belt?

Notsonoble
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Literally 7, 4 levels of the Pythoness House, for the coming Halloween game, a regional map for my campaign setting, a town map for said setting (but that one I can mostly choke up to my sibling) and this. Except for MSPaint for the town map... all have been in un-customized gimp. You could say 8 since I recently redid that regional map using RobA's tutorial... This and the regional are by far the most "unassisted".

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
so your coming along just fine then .... one thing I might comment on ... for city or urban maps such as this.... look to make everything a little more uniform in its coloring and not such a wide variety of color.... I don't want to use the word garish, cause I don't want you take it the wrong way, but it illustrates a point. Most areas of cities tend to have a similiar pattern in colors, unless you specifically have a reason for making all the different colors on the buildings ....

The reason is it tends to distract from the ambiance of the over all map, with so many colors it gets to busy and then you get sort of 'blind' to the structure of the artwork. Hope that isn't too harsh, more over I hope I actually made some sense... :D

Ascension
10-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Following up on what Del said about future maps is that I would suggest not using the bright colors, go for something "off-color". For example instead of that bright green grass, try using something olive green or ochre green and don't be afraid to use more than one shade at the same time to add height (a dark and light ochre green to make small hills). This is by no means bad don't get me wrong, it's a very solid base.